Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: power conditioners?  (Read 2718 times)

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
power conditioners?
« on: May 22, 2005, 12:14:30 AM »
As the volunteer archivist for my local folk group (buffalo friends of folk) I was asked to look into power conditioners, as they've been experience noise during the sound reinforcement.  They currently use a mackie 404m powered mixer that drives 2 bose speakers, and 1 bose monitor.  I'm not too familiar with them, but I know furman as a brand makes power conditioners.  While browsing their website, I came across the PL-8 Series II, which looks like it might fit the bill, as it's not too expensive, and seems to help filter out possible noise sources related to AC.  Does anyone have any feed back as to what else I should look at, or recommendations on a different power conditioner.  Also, are there any boards I should look.  Thanks in advance!   

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: power conditioners?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 11:55:23 AM »
The Furman's are pretty much the standard in low-cost to mid-cost PA systems... I don't remember which model numbers I have experience with but I don't think you'll go wrong with a Furman.

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 02:50:20 PM »
what tim said :)  furmans are SOLID at their price point.  to get any better you have to spend a lot more IMO

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 02:56:28 PM »
Also consider spending some time looking for any possible ground loops.  Likely sources include powering the board from one circuit but an effects unit or some other gear in the chain from another circuit.  Naturally make sure the board itself has a proper 3-prong plug or if it's got a 3>2 adapter that the ground wire is connected to a good ground.  Some noise is possible even after checking anything you can control, and then a power conditioner may help significantly.
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 03:05:53 PM »
Also consider spending some time looking for any possible ground loops. Likely sources include powering the board from one circuit but an effects unit or some other gear in the chain from another circuit. Naturally make sure the board itself has a proper 3-prong plug or if it's got a 3>2 adapter that the ground wire is connected to a good ground. Some noise is possible even after checking anything you can control, and then a power conditioner may help significantly.

good post... cheap simple solution
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 04:33:04 PM »
A ground-lifting XLR or two can be a great diagnostic tool.
No roadbox should be without one.
Do NOT use them during performance and NEVER in wet conditions.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 07:41:36 AM »
just chiming in and saying that the info given so far is spot on.  everyone has made some GREAT points.   ;D
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 11:35:26 AM »
just chiming in and saying that the info given so far is spot on. everyone has made some GREAT points. ;D

thanks coach ;D

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 02:44:50 PM »
just chiming in and saying that the info given so far is spot on.  everyone has made some GREAT points.   ;D

DUUUHHHH don't ferget to stand in a steel tub full of salt water while doing all these tests!  DUHHHHHHHHHH ;D ;)

for the love of all that is holy this is a joke, please don't nuke yourselves. :) :-*
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 04:44:27 PM »

DUUUHHHH don't ferget to stand in a steel tub full of salt water while doing all these tests!  DUHHHHHHHHHH ;D ;)

for the love of all that is holy this is a joke, please don't nuke yourselves. :) :-*

lol   +t
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com