Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Festival mic configurations ????  (Read 7585 times)

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
Festival mic configurations ????
« on: May 24, 2005, 01:27:08 PM »
This summer I am hittin' up a fest. and I have a 36" tbar and my swivel akg bar and I was wonderin' about others experiences w/ say bluegrass music (YMSB,HBRSB, RE) outdoors and if omnis are okay or if it is better to run DIN. Also a little jazz, funk  (JJO, KDTU, Skeric, Grag maha), in my guestimate I would think OMNIS would be the shit. Also I have DIY rat skins to put over my wind screens so wind should not be a big issue. If wind comes in play I understand XY @120 cuts out a lot wind factor. Just lookin' for ideas and input but I realize pratice and trial and error is the best solution. The problem with this is I don't get to tape as much as I would like to.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Festival mic configurations ????
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 02:16:19 PM »
Omni's would most definitely be the proverbial shit ;D

fob split omni's are great

also try and build a jecklin disc

omni's are less suceptible to wind noise too... just another bonus for omni's ;D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 02:21:37 PM »

omni's are less suceptible to wind noise too... just another bonus for omni's ;D

I gots a question...IF the wind is blowing hard from left to right..and you had a jecklin disc...would the left mics pick up ALOT of wind..and the right none(being blocked by the disc?)??????  never taped outdoors...so this has got me thinking...

DIY rat skins?  got picks, guide etc??  i searched.found nothing..but not a really thourough search!
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 02:23:42 PM »
wonderin' about others experiences w/ say bluegrass music (YMSB,HBRSB, RE) outdoors and if omnis are okay or if it is better to run DIN

I suspect omnis are hit or miss for outdoor bluegrass, depending on [1] whether or not the crowd is chatty, [2] whether or not the PA is putting out strong SPLs.  IME, [1] is a crapshoot and depends on the fest, and [2] bluegrass fest PAs rarely put out the kind of SPLs required to drown out a [1] potentially chatty crowd.  I say prepare for both split or Jecklin omnis and DIN and adjust as necessary at the fest.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 02:24:41 PM »

Be very careful with omnis. Depending on your distance from the source of the sound, you could end up with shit (and not the proverbial kind). I always mix my omnis with a card source. The omni provides the warmth and atmosphere, the cards pickup 80% of the source sound.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 02:31:51 PM »
wonderin' about others experiences w/ say bluegrass music (YMSB,HBRSB, RE) outdoors and if omnis are okay or if it is better to run DIN

I suspect omnis are hit or miss for outdoor bluegrass, depending on [1] whether or not the crowd is chatty, [2] whether or not the PA is putting out strong SPLs.  IME, [1] is a crapshoot and depends on the fest, and [2] bluegrass fest PAs rarely put out the kind of SPLs required to drown out a [1] potentially chatty crowd.  I say prepare for both split or Jecklin omnis and DIN and adjust as necessary at the fest.
I second that. I did a bluegrass show this past weekend and the sound is subpar.
I had to crank the gain all the way up just to get a decent signal.
In hindsight I shold of set up stage lip or in that proximity with the omnis.
It was very gusty out over the weekend and I have noticed minimal wind noise
then when I did with the cards. I think I hear more of the windnoise from the stage mics then mine..
I now have a reason to try the jecklin so this summer I hope to experiment with that.
I also want to try a bigger split with the omnis then the shure vert bar can give me.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 03:00:14 PM »

Be very careful with omnis. Depending on your distance from the source of the sound, you could end up with shit (and not the proverbial kind). I always mix my omnis with a card source. The omni provides the warmth and atmosphere, the cards pickup 80% of the source sound.

Wayne

get in a good spot and you don't need the cards, especially outdoors

location is the most important part of taping and it becomes even more important with omnis

It seems as though a lot of people are almost scared of omni's... I've embraced them, at some point I'll add some directional mics to my arsenal but I'm confident that in most situations I can pull a very nice tape with omnis and when everything comes together I feel that an omni tape is going to be superior to a directional pattern tape... no coloring of the sound at all, great soundstaging and tremendous imaging with a jdisc

skalinder makes some good points though....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 03:03:21 PM by Tim »
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline tms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 03:09:59 PM »
This summer I am hittin' up a fest. and I have a 36" tbar and my swivel akg bar and I was wonderin' about others experiences w/ say bluegrass music (YMSB,HBRSB, RE) outdoors and if omnis are okay or if it is better to run DIN. Also a little jazz, funk  (JJO, KDTU, Skeric, Grag maha), in my guestimate I would think OMNIS would be the shit. Also I have DIY rat skins to put over my wind screens so wind should not be a big issue. If wind comes in play I understand XY @120 cuts out a lot wind factor. Just lookin' for ideas and input but I realize pratice and trial and error is the best solution. The problem with this is I don't get to tape as much as I would like to.
Peace

Where are you headed?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 03:44:05 PM »
Actually It is not a bluegrass fest its the HSMF and my understandin' is the tapin' section is FOB and there is plenty of space.
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 04:45:36 PM »
Actually It is not a bluegrass fest its the HSMF and my understandin' is the tapin' section is FOB and there is plenty of space.
Peace

the HSMF section has been immediately FOB in the past, though the space issue - you want to get there early for the DFC space, but if you don't feel you need to be DFC,, there is a bunch of space.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 01:24:40 PM »
How about the Vaudeville Stage does it have a tapers section??? And is the whole area under a tent or just the performers?
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Brian

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 01:43:08 PM »

Wayne

get in a good spot and you don't need the cards, especially outdoors

location is the most important part of taping and it becomes even more important with omnis

It seems as though a lot of people are almost scared of omni's... I've embraced them, at some point I'll add some directional mics to my arsenal but I'm confident that in most situations I can pull a very nice tape with omnis and when everything comes together I feel that an omni tape is going to be superior to a directional pattern tape... no coloring of the sound at all, great soundstaging and tremendous imaging with a jdisc

skalinder makes some good points though....

agreed.....omnis, as it seems to me,  are completely underated in any application of recording in any environment.  I LOVE omnis!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 02:57:06 PM »
I agree...I have yet to make an omni recording I didn't like
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 03:05:51 PM »
I agree...I have yet to make an omni recording I didn't like

I think people have mis-interpreted what I meant. If you're recording from the section, chances are you're not going to be happy with your recordings. If you are close to the stage, you'll pull some great recordings with the right setup. I have to be pretty careful with my omni mics though, the QTC-1 mics are very hot, it's not unusual for me to knock them down -20 or 30 dB to prevent them from overdriving the preamp (regardless of what preamp is used).

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 03:22:27 PM »
Does anyone else do this?
The horizontal-stretch back to center for lack of a better name.

Like this?  I haven't run the extension horizontally off a stand, yet, but have clamped to ceiling or railings and run the mics striaght up, on an angle, straight out horizontally, etc.  The stand in the pic, though leaning and not taped down, is still pretty stable.  A beefier Bogen stand would lean less.  Even so, mics are still about 7+ ft high.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com