Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new here and to taping, microphone question  (Read 2727 times)

Offline badsneakers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
new here and to taping, microphone question
« on: October 14, 2005, 06:07:17 PM »
Hi all, I think I have decided to buy a M-Audio multi track.  Despite some of the problems it would be a big step up from my mini disc which seems to be broken.  I'm not sure about microphones though.  So my question is what would you use for micro phones?  I don't know much about this stuff and figured I should ask, I wouldn't use these for stealth so size isn't to much of an issue.  I would like something that can run on the multi-tracks phantom power.  Ideally I would be using just the multi-track and two mics.  Any suggestions in the $400 dollar range?  I looked at NT5's then I saw some people were not to happy with them here.

Thanks a bunch!!

-aarne

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: new here and to taping, microphone question
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 10:23:30 PM »
Studio Projects C4's (~$300 new) you also get both card and omni capsules.
and
AKG c391's (~$400 used)

two very good choices to start looking at.  Quite a few tapes around.  These mics will both run off of 30v phantom (which is the most the microtrack supplies), however I would recommend buying a preamp like a UA-5 to run in front of the microtrack, you'll probably have better results if not longer battery life in recording.  Also if you find the C4's used you might be able to afford both them and the UA-5 (ebay, you'll have to digimod it yourself) in the $400 budget you have.

Used C4's ~$225
Used UA-5 ~$160 or so

hope that helps
mics & cameras

Offline jazzharper

• Taperssection Newbie
    • The Buddhas Groove
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 10:30:16 PM »
I'm just starting with taping.  I have the C4s, microtrack and UA-5 which I moded myself.  All I need now is remote power and I'm set.
SP LSD-2>DmodUA-5>MT2496
Without the GROOVE you have nothing.

Offline badsneakers

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 12:03:09 PM »
thanks for the reply's.

If I were to get a UA-5 to use with the multi-track would I need to use a battery box with that or does it have its own battery compartment?  What is a digi mod and why do I need it, I'm guessing it allows both units to interface.  I'll look into both of the suggested microphones. 
 Would you consider either set to be better suited for loud and heavy electric music?  That's what I would be using it for.

jazzharper you mentioned remote power what's that?

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 12:36:24 PM »
thanks for the reply's.

If I were to get a UA-5 to use with the multi-track would I need to use a battery box with that or does it have its own battery compartment?  What is a digi mod and why do I need it, I'm guessing it allows both units to interface.  I'll look into both of the suggested microphones. 
 Would you consider either set to be better suited for loud and heavy electric music?  That's what I would be using it for.

For the UA-5 you need a battery (it has no internal battery) what most do is they get a DVD battery from wal mart (look in the remote power section for details) and some adaptaplugs from wal mart and use that.  It will power it for around 5 or 6 hours or more depending.

The digimod allows the UA-5 to interface with your Microtrack.  Since the UA-5 was designed to be used ONLY with a computer you need to basically cut a trace, and use a wire to jump the circuit.  Simply put you are bypassing the requirement it is used with the USB port to get a straight optical or coax out.  Its a simple mod that if you have ever used a soldering iron before you should be able to do.

Either mic will be suited about the same to loud music, they are very similar mics in my opinion.  However the AKG's have the option of hypercardioid caps and the Studio projects do not.  However the price makes upf or this lack of caps.

Remote power is a term that refers to powering your gear remotely from an outlet, so basically battery power.
mics & cameras

Offline badsneakers

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 11:07:24 AM »
thanks for the reply's.

For the UA-5 you need a battery (it has no internal battery) what most do is they get a DVD battery from wal mart (look in the remote power section for details) and some adaptaplugs from wal mart and use that.  It will power it for around 5 or 6 hours or more depending.

The digimod allows the UA-5 to interface with your Microtrack.  Since the UA-5 was designed to be used ONLY with a computer you need to basically cut a trace, and use a wire to jump the circuit.  Simply put you are bypassing the requirement it is used with the USB port to get a straight optical or coax out.  Its a simple mod that if you have ever used a soldering iron before you should be able to do.

Either mic will be suited about the same to loud music, they are very similar mics in my opinion.  However the AKG's have the option of hypercardioid caps and the Studio projects do not.  However the price makes upf or this lack of caps.

Remote power is a term that refers to powering your gear remotely from an outlet, so basically battery power.

thanks a lot this is a big help!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com