Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ? about Line In on MD unit  (Read 2874 times)

Offline ledblimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
? about Line In on MD unit
« on: October 17, 2005, 02:34:21 PM »
Hello all,

I have a Sony MZNHF800 MD unit, recording on 80 min discs in HISP mode. Have always recorded mic in but have done my last two shows line in, which I'm happier with, but have noticed that with line in the grouping of the trks changes by itself without any ryhme or reason I can see. Never happened with mic in unless I did it. Doesn't affect the recording in any way, just makes it a pain in the ass to track when putting it to disc.

So, would anyone have a clue as to why it does this and maybe a way to stop it? I've looked in the manuel and maybe just missed it but didn't see anything about it.

Thanks for any info,
Ron

spreadheadtom

Re: ? about Line In on MD unit
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 02:41:09 PM »
i think there is something in the settings you can change to stop it.  it's set up now to automatically put tracks in at silent times in the recording...does that sound right?

Offline ledblimp

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 03:53:33 PM »
i think there is something in the settings you can change to stop it.  it's set up now to automatically put tracks in at silent times in the recording...does that sound right?

Hi,

Nope.
Has done it in the middle of a song, time will vary, sometimes it'll start a new group after 10 sec's, sometimes after a min.
The show I did this past Sat it grouped 7 times in the first 5 min's or so and then stopped for the rest of the show ( about 120 min's ).
The first time it grouped about 15 times during the show at various points.

Using mic in it would only go to a new group if I hit pause or stop during recording.

Have ruled out the hold button, was used both times at beginning of recording.
Ruled out media, 2 diff. discs were used.

There is something in the manual about grouping when recording to the unit from a cd player/ other unit. I'll play around with that to see if it works.

Thanks
Ron

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 05:03:58 PM »
Hello all,

I have a Sony MZNHF800 MD unit, recording on 80 min discs in HISP mode. Have always recorded mic in but have done my last two shows line in, which I'm happier with, but have noticed that with line in the grouping of the trks changes by itself without any ryhme or reason I can see. Never happened with mic in unless I did it. Doesn't affect the recording in any way, just makes it a pain in the ass to track when putting it to disc.

So, would anyone have a clue as to why it does this and maybe a way to stop it? I've looked in the manuel and maybe just missed it but didn't see anything about it.

Thanks for any info,
Ron

AFAIK line in (analog or optical) will split at quiet moments, and there is no way to turn this off!  And it doesn't have to be quiet either.  The good news is you can join tracks *on the machine* during playback.  Just hit the "track" button near a track.  Use >> to go to the next one.  It leaves zero space between, then you can upload.  Do not upload individually.  There will be way too many tracks, and it is harder to merge them once uploaded.   You'll get some clicks/pops.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 07:43:33 PM »
Hello all,

Thanks for any info,
Ron

AFAIK line in (analog or optical) will split at quiet moments, and there is no way to turn this off!  And it doesn't have to be quiet either.  The good news is you can join tracks *on the machine* during playback.  Just hit the "track" button near a track.  Use >> to go to the next one.  It leaves zero space between, then you can upload.  Do not upload individually.  There will be way too many tracks, and it is harder to merge them once uploaded.   You'll get some clicks/pops.

Richard

I've had this problem as well.  Often I can get rid of most of the "tracks" since as they occur before & after the actual show.  I have had no problem importing everything & then joining the tracks I need.  And I've never had any clicks/pops at all.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline soundalike

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 12:52:43 PM »
I upload all tracks to Sonic Stage and use the 'combine' feature once the tracks have been uploaded.  Works best on v3.2 but takes a lot of time/processing power so it's best to combine just a few tracks at once.  If it all goes wrong you can always upload again and start from scratch - but make a mistake on your MD (or more likley some technical hiccup) and you risk losing the whole show for good (or at least part of it). 

If you record mic in you don't get the auto trackmarks so I use this for quiet/acoustic concerts.  I also set the record level as loud as I dare to minimise the number of trackmarks (obviously below the level where I might get clipping).

Offline ledblimp

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 10:56:04 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys.

Ron

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com