Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 Hard drive noise in stealth set up  (Read 3934 times)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
JB3 Hard drive noise in stealth set up
« on: October 21, 2005, 08:51:30 AM »
Hi guys -

My stealth bag  is a cheap, small multi-section ladies handbag - I've cut holes in the lining and run wires between the sections.   JB3 is in the middle zipper section (the only one it fits in), preamp in another etc etc.  My CMC8 mics are clilpped in the section with the pre,  in the outer pouch, the tops just poking out of the small gaps on either side of the zipper (I'll post pix later if I get a chance - this probably makes  no sense in writing!)

Due to how/where i tape and who's in charge of the gear for me, it's not always  possible to pull the mics clear (that's obviously the best option) - so I have them clipped on safety pins in the lining of the bag so that they don't move around too much and they're pulled out as far as I think I can get away with visibilitywise.

So here's the problem:  up till now, this has worked beautifully.  This week, I set the rig up again for the first time in a while and every recording made this way has picked up  - LOUD - the JB3 hard drive noise, which has never been a problem before!  The only thing I can think is that I'm using a different pair of CMC8s which have the SP "permanent" clips on them - could that be conducting the noise more than the snap-on AT clips I used to use? 

In any case, any ideas for a solution? Is there anything I could put in the bag to baffle the sound from the jb3?  Whenever possible I have my stealther use glasses or, as I say,  at least pull the mics further out so they're clear of the bag, but this isn't always possible, and I'd like to try and figure something out for those times....

Thanks for any sugggestions!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 08:54:04 AM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: JB3 Hard drive noise in stealth set up
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »
Get a preamp in between the mics and the JB3, and you're good to go.  You need more gain in order to get over the JB3 HD noise.

Offline PG

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 11:20:30 AM »
Do you have a high JB3 gain setting? I think it can get loud if you run really high.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 11:22:09 AM »
Get a preamp in between the mics and the JB3, and you're good to go.  You need more gain in order to get over the JB3 HD noise.
I think there is one, based on this:

JB3 is in the middle zipper section (the only one it fits in), preamp in another etc etc. 

Do you have a high JB3 gain setting? I think it can get loud if you run really high.

This was my second thought after I read there was a preamp. With a pre, you should just set the gain on the jb3 to 0.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 12:42:18 PM »
Also try a cleanup/defragment on the JB3.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 01:41:59 PM »
JB3 gain set to 0 - levels set ont he pre.  That said,  I often have to guesstimate levels because I never get a chance to test levels.  I usually err on the side of too low simply so I don't screw up an entire recording due to blasting it out.

THanks for the tip on defragging -that might be a good clue, actually, since I deleted a BUNCH of stuff from the JB3 after I used it for amy last run of performances so maybe it is simply spinning up more often now. Is that a choice int he setup menu? (Sorry - dufus noob Q. I'll look in the FAQ if nobody can face answering it again in this thread!)

Any other suggestions?  Is there anything that is acoustically NONtransparent which I could just stick in the bag between mics and jb3 to further deaden the hard drive noise (I considered wrapping the JB3 in foam or something, but was worried that it would just overheat).

TX again - all suggestions welcomed! :)
DPA4060
R09

Offline geordy

• Taperssection Regular
    • masters
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 10:48:55 AM »
I have had the same problem running CSBs>NJB3.  During most shows when I'm taping FOS, it's not an issue, you might hear a little squeeeeeeeeek in between songs, but nothing that doesn't get drowned out 95% of the show.  I have yet to tape anything in a quiter setting - comedy, acoustic shows, hell, even Arlo Guthrie that didn't just piss me off because you can hear the squeeeeeeek from the hard drive all throughout the shows.  I've gone back to using MD whenever I tape comedy shows to avoid this annoyance, but it's such a pain to transfer after you get spoiled by Firewire....

Is my main problem the CSBs or is it just the combination of CSBs and NJB3?  I love the sound of the recordings I get with CSBs so I'd probably replace the NJB3 before I'd replace the CSBs, but if this is a problem I'm going to have with other recorders maybe I should look at new mics first.  I've experimented with using different settings on the NJB3 (-4db up to +6db, but can't say that I could tell any difference in the amt of HD noise as a result).  I've noticed that CSBs aren't thought of very highly here and I do plan on upgrading once the funds are available, so any suggestions on how to improve the quality of this setup in the meantime would be appreciated.
dpa4061 > mma6000 > Sony PCM-M10

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 02:02:08 PM »
I have had the same problem running CSBs>NJB3.  During most shows when I'm taping FOS, it's not an issue, you might hear a little squeeeeeeeeek in between songs, but nothing that doesn't get drowned out 95% of the show.  I have yet to tape anything in a quiter setting - comedy, acoustic shows, hell, even Arlo Guthrie that didn't just piss me off because you can hear the squeeeeeeek from the hard drive all throughout the shows.  I've gone back to using MD whenever I tape comedy shows to avoid this annoyance, but it's such a pain to transfer after you get spoiled by Firewire....

Is my main problem the CSBs or is it just the combination of CSBs and NJB3?  I love the sound of the recordings I get with CSBs so I'd probably replace the NJB3 before I'd replace the CSBs, but if this is a problem I'm going to have with other recorders maybe I should look at new mics first.  I've experimented with using different settings on the NJB3 (-4db up to +6db, but can't say that I could tell any difference in the amt of HD noise as a result).  I've noticed that CSBs aren't thought of very highly here and I do plan on upgrading once the funds are available, so any suggestions on how to improve the quality of this setup in the meantime would be appreciated.

Preamp, brah!  Preamp!

Roving Sign

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 04:42:51 PM »
I'd recommend not using the Delete function on the JB3...

Just run it until its full...and then use the "Reformat" function...

I have no evidence that one is better than the other...just seems like deleting causes more HD activity...

Emergencies happen - but if possible, just fill it up and reformat...

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 02:42:10 PM »

Any other suggestions?  Is there anything that is acoustically NONtransparent which I could just stick in the bag between mics and jb3 to further deaden the hard drive noise (I considered wrapping the JB3 in foam or something, but was worried that it would just overheat).

TX again - all suggestions welcomed! :)

So you think your mics are actually picking up the physical movement sounds from the hard drive?  Not the electrical noise from the hard drive being picked up by the A/D in the JB3? 

Physical noise would sound like the JB3 does; clicking, hard drive punching sounds, like when you boot it up.  Electrical noise on these sounds like a series of beeps as the hard drive writes the data to the disc. 

I believe it could be the physical noise, they certainly are loud!  I don't think foam sound insulation would work, especially given the JB3 overheating problems.  It might be best to have two bags and separate them by some distance.  Or put the JB3 on your body somewhere. 

Good luck!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 04:00:39 PM »
It's definitely the mics picking up the noise externally.

I may just have to give in and start eyeglass stealthing instead of handing the gear off as a sit-it-on-yer-lap preset bag. My husband - who said his neck has NEVER been so stiff as after recording a concert for me w/mics on glasses and trying to keep still and quiet! - may grumble,  but hey, it's all  the name of a perfect tape, right?!?!? lol
DPA4060
R09

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 03:37:00 AM »
It's definitely the mics picking up the noise externally.

I may just have to give in and start eyeglass stealthing instead of handing the gear off as a sit-it-on-yer-lap preset bag. My husband - who said his neck has NEVER been so stiff as after recording a concert for me w/mics on glasses and trying to keep still and quiet! - may grumble,  but hey, it's all  the name of a perfect tape, right?!?!? lol

Yes it IS!!! Tell B to quit bitching and sit his ass down and hush up! I've got V trained so she'll sit for hours! Now working on my kids to do same. It's all in how loud you yell at them if they don't!

Ok, maybe not......

Sistuh, you HAVE to get them on glasses. I have mine semi-permanantly mounted to them, and in rehearsals just leave the glasses out of my rig bag. No one is ever the wiser! ONce I got them away from the jb3 I stopped getting so much external noise from the HD. Now I get traffic noise instead! :-)
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline cgresq192

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 08:44:27 AM »
I seem to be having similar issues with what appears to be HD noise. I beleive it to be electrical noise. Which can be heard at quieter moments in the recording. Sounds like high pitched beeps.

My setup is as follows

AT853's(Mini XLR)>CA 9100 (3wire)>JB3

Any suggestions on resolving this is appreciated!
DPA 4061's > CA-9100>(3wire)>R-09HR
SPCMC4(AT853's)>CA-9100(3wire)>R-09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com