Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time  (Read 107876 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2007, 12:19:28 PM »
The aerco is quiet.. As quiet as anything else.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2007, 01:18:59 PM »
As I was opening up my Aerco to change out the batteries last night, I noticed Jerry had placed a MFG tag on the bottom inside of the unit.  It said my Aerco will accept 7V - 20V external power.  Which means it will work with a 9V Walmart battery.  Anybody else verify this on their Aerco? 

Offline Thom Joad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Team TNT!
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2007, 09:08:16 AM »
I've been planning on getting a 9.6V battery system for mine for a while now.  I'll see if I can't pick one up this weekend.  I'll report back when I do. 

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2007, 10:39:35 AM »
My Aerco runs great on my 9v wally.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2007, 10:58:30 AM »
Does this thing have clip lights??? Seem overpriced for a preamp.. Just because he is using input transformers. It seems expensive... I wonder how many people would by a preamp from me with transformer inputs if I could sell if for $499.00 instead of $750!!!
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2007, 11:18:23 AM »
Does this thing have clip lights??? Seem overpriced for a preamp.. Just because he is using input transformers. It seems expensive... I wonder how many people would by a preamp from me with transformer inputs if I could sell if for $499.00 instead of $750!!!

No clip lights.  None needed, IMO.  Run it in front of an ADC or recorder and monitor your levels on there. 

Do I think my transformer based M148 with all it's flaws (fixed 20db gain, no opportunity to power externally let alone with a broad range of voltages, it's less than stellar recharging times, no clip lights, it's less than stellar & not protected on/off button, and not to mention that it's way too heavy & extremely large in size) was worth twice the cost of the Aerco.  Damn straight I do.  To each their own. 

The Aerco is the best preamp out there for the price & size if you're looking for transformers, IMO (besides the M148 of course).  Jerry makes a first class product & is a stand up guy.  In addition, the Aerco is one of the only units still available new. 

Price is relative.  I think a lot of people pay a lot more than they should for a lot of things in our hobby. 

Try building a transformer based pre and find out.  If you've spent any time on this board you've noticed there's a very large demand for them.

My $0.02. 
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2007, 11:23:38 AM »

Not to take anything away from the Aerco MP2, but if you can build one with high quality parts, clip light and all for 499, yeah I think you would have a line forming.  I might even be in that line...
let the price wars begin....JK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2007, 11:31:16 AM »
Does this thing have clip lights???

Why is it always about the clip lights with you? :P

I wonder how many people would by a preamp from me with transformer inputs if I could sell if for $499.00 instead of $750!!!

The r&d takes a lot of time..  Esp that 48v circuit. He has some special sauce there.

As others have immediately replied, build a m148 knockoff if you're going to do anything..

I'd still like to build one of the jensen reference designs to play with (with sla 48v).

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2007, 11:41:28 AM »

No frickin' way its over-priced.  That's a ridiuclous comment coming from another manufacturer.  Own and run one first.  The Aerco is a spectacular Pre.  I've had the chance to run the Lunatec V3, SD Mp2, the Edirol UA-5, and the Denecke AD-20.  The Aerco holds its weight against all the big boys.  Checkout Freelunch's comp between the Deva, Aerco, and Lunatec V3. 

That said, why not build a Pre w/ transformer inputs?   You're talented enough to do it.  And there's enough of us here who would try it out and even buy it.   ;)

Do it!!!     ;D 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 11:43:07 AM by spyder9 »

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2007, 11:55:52 AM »

No frickin' way its over-priced.  That's a ridiuclous comment coming from another manufacturer.  Own and run one first.  The Aerco is a spectacular Pre.  I've had the chance to run the Lunatec V3, SD Mp2, the Edirol UA-5, and the Denecke AD-20.  The Aerco holds its weight against all the big boys.  Checkout Freelunch's comp between the Deva, Aerco, and Lunatec V3. 

That said, why not build a Pre w/ transformer inputs?   You're talented enough to do it.  And there's enough of us here who would try it out and even buy it.   ;)

Do it!!!     ;D 

You could say the same thing about the m148. $1500 brand new and all the thing has is an on/off switch. Is it worth that...HELL YES! IMO it's the best pre for concert taping out there. Luckly I did not have to pay that but damn straight I would have >:D

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »
I got a bit of flak for what I said. It was kind of stupid now that I think about it. A product is only worth what people are willing to pay for it.. I should have not made a comment on its price but rather the lack of a clip light seems to me to be a basic part of a preamps design. When we are talking about a higher end preamp. I respect this guy he has done some amazing shit. I would love to hear this preamp in action one day. I meant no disrespect. I was making a comment on Function vrs.. Price and I think I could have been just a tad more subtle about it.

Chris Church

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2007, 12:13:54 PM »
I got a bit of flak for what I said. It was kind of stupid now that I think about it. A product is only worth what people are willing to pay for it.. I should have not made a comment on its price but rather the lack of a clip light seems to me to be a basic part of a preamps design. When we are talking about a higher end preamp. I respect this guy he has done some amazing shit. I would love to hear this preamp in action one day. I meant no disrespect. I was making a comment on Function vrs.. Price and I think I could have been just a tad more subtle about it.

Chris Church

I think the lack of a clip light on a variable gain preamp is kind of weak....the psp2 and m148 don't need them due to fixed gain. you could be bricking and have no clue.

marc0789

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2007, 12:15:28 PM »

Do it!!!     ;D 

You could say the same thing about the m148. $1500 brand new and all the thing has is an on/off switch. Is it worth that...HELL YES! IMO it's the best pre for concert taping out there. Luckly I did not have to pay that but damn straight I would have >:D

ditto that. lucky to have found one used 4 years ago, but would have gladly kicked down for new. ;D

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2007, 12:36:33 PM »
I think the lack of a clip light on a variable gain preamp is kind of weak....the psp2 and m148 don't need them due to fixed gain. you could be bricking and have no clue.
i realize you know this since you owned one marc, but just to clarify the psp2 has a clip light for each channel, right above the power button.  it's sort of useless for monitoring levels though and only aids as a brickwall identifier since it doesn't light up until the incoming signal is +3 dB over 0.  it's also not technically fixed gain either since it's lowest output is ~20 dB and there are two more stepped gain options after that; +6 and +12. 

I think when you only have three gain settings its not really needed but when you have more then 6 I think its very much a needed item so that you can maximize your signal to noise ratio. That being said if you had a distortion analyzer and could calibrate your recorders input VU then you could in fact know when your preamp was at its limit. But I think its better to just put a clip led in the preamp. It makes it easy to set the levels properly.

When I am working on a console the first thing I do is PFL the channel and look at the signal coming in. I then get that gain knob set so I have some headroom. I really want to get that input gain as hot as I can. With out having a clip light or a VU on the preamp that's impossible to do. The vu on your recorder only indicates level not distortion of the front end of the preamp. You could for example attenuate the input on your recorder and run your preamp hot end up with distortion and no even know it. Unless you were using headphones to monitor. That's why a clip light on the preamp is vital to setting gain. So you know you don't have any distortion issues going to tape.

marc0789

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2007, 12:36:42 PM »
i realize you know this since you owned one marc, but just to clarify the psp2 has a clip light for each channel, right above the power button.  it's sort of useless for monitoring levels though and only aids as a brickwall identifier since it doesn't light up until the incoming signal is +3 dB over 0.  it's also not technically fixed gain either since it's lowest output is ~20 dB and there are two more stepped gain options after that; +6 and +12. 

should have been clearer...I know the psp-2 has them, but you could do without them. I literally never ran it unless set to zero and -35 mic sens, and the clip lights never came on. but maybe there are setups where you would need to run hotter, and the clip lights would help?

If the aerco is full continuous gain, I think it's a real detriment not to have clip lights. sure, you can run real low so there's no risk, but whether that is ideal or not depends on how the aerco sounds run low versus hot, I guess. And depending on what ADC you run behind it, you might not be able to generate sufficient gain without turning up the aerco...again having no idea if you're clipping it or not.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com