Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Laptop recording  (Read 1971 times)

Offline hillbilly8714

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Laptop recording
« on: January 12, 2006, 03:32:07 PM »
I'm completely new to this, but I am going to start taping shows for a small band that plays the area who said I could just hook into the soundboard.  I will be using my laptop, but my question is, are there any programs like Soundforge that allow you to have a free trial version first so I can test some of these out?
Also, as far as hooking my laptop into the sound board do only need L and R RCA jacks that form into a single headphone/microphone jack into the computer?

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: Laptop recording
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 03:44:01 PM »
Record into CDWave - it's free and will do the job nicely.  http://www.cdwave.com

You'll need several types of cables, depending on the soundboard.  XLR, 1/4 and RCA are the most common outs.  You'll go in on the LINE IN on your onboard soundcard, which is undoubtedly a 1/8 jack.  Best bet is to buy a high quality RCA -> mini cable, then buy 2 1/4 male/RCA female adapters and 2 XLR female/RCA female adapters at Radio Shack.  That means you carry around 1 cable and 4 adapters, and you're ready for pretty much anything.

Eventually you may want to consider stepping up your interface (maybe go USB or get a PCMCIA card) because on board laptop sound cards have a tendency to be noisy.  I'd try it out first though before you commit to buying hundreds of dollars of gear.

Good luck!
Dirk
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 03:46:14 PM by TNJazz »
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline hillbilly8714

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 03:55:52 PM »
Thank you very much

Offline smokydays

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 10:24:14 PM »
Great advice Dirk!  Always someone willing to help out around here!  +T's
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."
-- About To Rage, Gov't Mule

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com