Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anyone use a sony MZ-R37 mini disk recorder??  (Read 5211 times)

Offline bigwurock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
anyone use a sony MZ-R37 mini disk recorder??
« on: February 02, 2006, 04:30:40 PM »
i have a few questions about mine...i think it is junk but...when i plug the mic into the mic input i only get one channel to record and same if i go line in...got it off ebay but i think they sold me a bunk one..said it worked perfect..well....is there any Right or Left level adjustments..munual doesn't say anything...

Offline bigwurock

• Taperssection Regular
Re: anyone use a sony MZ-R37 mini disk recorder??
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 04:55:10 PM »
also just tried recording with using the optical digi cord...got the same thing....played it back and only one side play..so i am assuming one channel is not working..??

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 04:56:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure the level meter(s) on that deck only shows 1 line, making it impossible to tell if you're getting 1 or 2 channels recording. Have you listened back to what you've recorded to verify there is only one channel being recorded? Also, what are you running into it, i.e. mics? feed direct from your stereo?
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Roving Sign

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 04:57:49 PM »
does both the line out and headphone only have 1 channel...? (they are different jacks on that unit, I think...)

If it locks and records via digital - chances are its recording both channels...

Offline bigwurock

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 05:17:14 PM »
yes i only get 1 channel when i play it back of what i recorded..??..i used my sony ecm mic, my sonic studio mics and i recorded a few songs using the optical cord....when i go to play back there is only one channel..only one speaker working....i recorded both the mic input and the line in but all the same...1 channel for play back...i also used the headphone output and line out during playback...both only 1 channel....

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 05:32:08 PM »
I'm betting that it's just mono on playback if you get the same thing on an optical recording.  What I'm thinking is that it's the headphone amp circuit that's missing a channel.  That probably means that you can use it to record, but to playback or transfer, you're going to need another deck.

I'm assuming that your headphone connector is plugged all the way into the unit?
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Roving Sign

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 05:35:18 PM »
Your should play your test recording back on another MD deck to see if it is recording both channels...

Offline bigwurock

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 05:35:55 PM »
yes everything is plugged in all the way....but it should playback on 2 channels shouldn't it...beween the line out and the headphones..you should get 2 channels...????

Offline bigwurock

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 05:37:01 PM »
Your should play your test recording back on another MD deck to see if it is recording both channels...

i don't know of anyone in the area that has a MD recorder..??..i was hpoing to record a show this weekend but now i don't know if the drive is worth it..??.

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 05:51:30 PM »
yes everything is plugged in all the way....but it should playback on 2 channels shouldn't it...beween the line out and the headphones..you should get 2 channels...????

Oh! if it's not stereo on either the line out or the headphone out, then the missing channel must be farther upstream toward the D/A converter.  Either way, you need to play a disc on someone else's deck and see if both channels are there.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline bigwurock

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 09:34:08 PM »
i have tried both monaural and stereo recording function..this also doesn't do anything..still the one channel....

Roving Sign

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 09:47:54 PM »
How about this - Set the MD to record in mono mode - try recoding a few seconds from each input - ie 10 secs left channel, then 10 sec right channel only...since its mono - you should get signal no mater what channel you use - (if its working right...)

make sense...?

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 09:56:03 PM »
I can't say if this unit is working or not, but it is pretty nice.

What I like is that I can plug into line in and get a fair amount of gain.  More than other MD's I've found.

Oh yeah, *never* use mic-in.  It will distort ("brick wall").  There is no "sensitivity" setting on the mic input.  Use only for voice or very quiet audio.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline bigwurock

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 10:18:16 PM »
How about this - Set the MD to record in mono mode - try recoding a few seconds from each input - ie 10 secs left channel, then 10 sec right channel only...since its mono - you should get signal no mater what channel you use - (if its working right...)

make sense...?

there are only mini inputs for both channels...it has a line in & a mic in

Offline bigwurock

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 10:19:24 PM »
I can't say if this unit is working or not, but it is pretty nice.

What I like is that I can plug into line in and get a fair amount of gain.  More than other MD's I've found.

Oh yeah, *never* use mic-in.  It will distort ("brick wall").  There is no "sensitivity" setting on the mic input.  Use only for voice or very quiet audio.

Richard

so do you have this MD recorder...???..

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com