Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mics for Nagra IV-S?  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Pelican

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Mics for Nagra IV-S?
« on: February 20, 2006, 07:03:10 PM »
Hi all. 

Anyone on here have any experience with the Nagra IV-S stereo recorder?  I recently aquired one and will be using it not for taping shows but for recording tracks for an album (primarily vox and guitar).  The only mic I have around is an AT-822 which doesn't seem to work well with the Nagra (seems specially designed for dat and phantom power will fry it).  I assume the AT 825 (which accepts phantom power) will do the trick, however, I'm sure there must be a few of you with experience with this machine who may have some advice as to a nice chain to document this music I'm making.  Keep in mind the Nagra has some nice preamps built in with switchable +48v phantom, +12v (for schoeps) as well as -12, T power, dyn 50 and dyn 200 (for dynamic mics) for each channel.  Dyn 50 and 200 make the AT sound noisy and distant, and afraid to venture into the other settings with the AT plugged in.

So for those experienced with the Nagra, what mics would you recommend?  I suppose the Neuman 84's, Schoeps and the AKG 414's would be the most highly recommended but would greatly benefit from anyone with personal knowledge of these machines.  Again, high quality and warm stereo recordings of voice and guitar is what I'm after.

Cheers,
D

stirinthesauce

Re: Mics for Nagra IV-S?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 07:56:31 PM »
I know jacallery on this board runs the nagra v.  May want to send him a pm.

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 07:59:09 PM »
Used Schoeps CMC4s (12V T-power) always seem to go for quite a bit less than the phantom powered amps.  Since your recorder can support them, that's certainly worth considering.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

BobW

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 10:15:27 PM »
You might consider (a) mic(s) worthy of that fine machine.
First question is what is the application ?

Generally speaking, I'd expect that a proper application of mics by Schoeps, DPA, Earthworks, etc. could give excellent results.
Don't anticipate that a fantastic recorder will compensate for a mediocre mic.
Don't expect a poorly chosen mic type( omni, card, stereo, etc.)  or a bad placement to be overcome by using an excellent mic.

And make no mistake about it, the Nagra is an exquisite instrument.

Respect it, and enjoy it, please !      ;)

Offline Pelican

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 02:01:06 AM »
Thanks all. 

Jason, I recorded with a Schoeps pair in studios a handful to times over the last few years and they do sound amazing, especially for guitar.  I will keep my eyes peeled.

Bob, Of course I'd love a much better microphone to plug into the Nagra (and have access to some nice gear from time to time), but my bank account right now is a bit anemic.  The fact of the matter is that I am a musician in my twenties recording my first record and have to make do with whatever is around, be it a Neumann or an Audio Technica.  Right now, I am fishing for firsthand accounts of people who have used this gear as there is plenty I'm sure I can learn from this.

It is specifically voice and guitar live onto tape that I will be using it for (with other parts to be added later via pro tools).  And yes, the Nagra is beautiful both to the ears and eyes, with staggering engineering to boot.  I am really happy with it.

Best (and thanks for the replies so far),
D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 02:14:28 AM by SeaOwl »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com