Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nightmare! Cable seating, how do you lock in a mini to a M1?  (Read 3588 times)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Nightmare! Cable seating, how do you lock in a mini to a M1?
« on: February 25, 2006, 11:21:02 PM »
So, this is a question for some stealthers.

Problem: Jumpy Analog Line-In on SONY PCM-M1 using a stiff RA mini cable

I was using Leegeddy's custom mini to mini (silver clad cable/techflex, RA neutrik on both ends) at The Bays last night at the Liquidroom and the damn thing came seated more than a few times.  Basically ruined the recording.  Before the show, I did a dry run with it and noted the plug fit the jack quite well, even had the reassuring click when I pushed in the final 1-2mm.  The seating problem was an issue b/c I lost the 50% of the opener (Buffalo Daughter) and a majority of The Bays.  I was even checking the levels for the first few minutes with the remote control so it was not the actual act of putting the deck into record and futzing with the deck that made the cable come loose.  Some how the cable worked it way out after a few minutes.  I either not no signal or a rough sounding mono signal.

The next morning I tested the connection out and the jack itself is not the culprit, it is the cable comming unseated.  I kind of blame the stiffness of this cable for the problem b/c I never had an issue of a mini ever comming out of the deck.  I really would like to use this cable rather than a Rat Shack generic or the Sonosax approved solution (a 1 foot RAmini to RAmini), both seem a little cheap espcailly in light of going to the extremes of buying a bunch of Schoeps gear.

So how would you try to get this thing to stay put?  I use a large phat rubber band around the Sax to keep the mini in place b/c I have had that connection come loose a few times.  I can't really do it with the M1 b/c the rubber band would be at one side of the deck.  What is the solution to this problem?

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Nightmare! Cable seating, how do you lock in a mini to a M1?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 03:37:19 AM »
So, this is a question for some stealthers.

Problem: Jumpy Analog Line-In on SONY PCM-M1 using a stiff RA mini cable

I was using Leegeddy's custom mini to mini (silver clad cable/techflex, RA neutrik on both ends) at The Bays last night at the Liquidroom and the damn thing came seated more than a few times.  Basically ruined the recording.  Before the show, I did a dry run with it and noted the plug fit the jack quite well, even had the reassuring click when I pushed in the final 1-2mm.  The seating problem was an issue b/c I lost the 50% of the opener (Buffalo Daughter) and a majority of The Bays.  I was even checking the levels for the first few minutes with the remote control so it was not the actual act of putting the deck into record and futzing with the deck that made the cable come loose.  Some how the cable worked it way out after a few minutes.  I either not no signal or a rough sounding mono signal.

The next morning I tested the connection out and the jack itself is not the culprit, it is the cable comming unseated.  I kind of blame the stiffness of this cable for the problem b/c I never had an issue of a mini ever comming out of the deck.  I really would like to use this cable rather than a Rat Shack generic or the Sonosax approved solution (a 1 foot RAmini to RAmini), both seem a little cheap espcailly in light of going to the extremes of buying a bunch of Schoeps gear.

So how would you try to get this thing to stay put?  I use a large phat rubber band around the Sax to keep the mini in place b/c I have had that connection come loose a few times.  I can't really do it with the M1 b/c the rubber band would be at one side of the deck.  What is the solution to this problem?

Gaffers tape maybe?
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 03:51:45 AM »
I use a right angle mini connector, pull the cable down the left side of the d100 (or r1) then use electrical tape to tape the cable down to the d100.

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 12:39:10 PM »
I had the same problem with a D8 a couple years back.  I opened up the case and found that the mini-F jack was loose inside and not meeting the mini-M plug securely.  A slight adjustment, and I never had the issue again.

I'll definitely second the right angle minii.  I keep a 10inch velcro strap in my bag, run the right angle out and down the side of the deck, and wrap with velcro.  It's more secure than a rubber band, and won't leave residue like tape.
Socks are overrated.

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 02:25:59 PM »

I'll third the vote for right angle mini.  Cardas makes a nice mini-to-mini cable, Leonard at Sonic Studios makes some very rugged ones out of Belden cable, and www.headphone.com has some pricier ones if desired.  Everytime I have tried a straight-mini, I've had problems.

Later,
    pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Roving Sign

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 07:01:04 PM »
I was using Leegeddy's custom mini to mini (silver clad cable/techflex, RA neutrik on both ends)

Doesnt that mean he's already using mini right angle?

Sounds like the cable is a bit too rigid - too much leverage on the jack...?

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 07:49:15 PM »
Yep, too much leverage.  The cable itself is a bit stiff, added with the techflex (which IMHO is just for aesthtics anyway) makes quite a stiffy.  A nice cable otherwise but I am finding more and more that softer pliable cables are really what you want in a stealth bag.  Those Neutrik and Switchcraft RA have this lengthy extension which just adds to the inflexibility of the cable.  I searched around Japan for the right one and just haven't found it.  The only thing that comes close is the Sonosax mini to mini and that is a cheap ass cable.

The velcro is not a bad idea.  I will have to do something about this.  The Cardas cable looks decent but the RA part may not clear the level knob (which is really easy to turn).

+T for the suggestions all. 

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 10:02:25 PM »
The velcro is not a bad idea.  I will have to do something about this.  The Cardas cable looks decent but the RA part may not clear the level knob (which is really easy to turn).

I just confirmed that the Cardas cable fits nicely into the M1's line-in jack.  It does not clear the knob, but can easily be velcro'd to run down the back or the side of the deck.  I could probably take a pic tomorrow if you want to get a better idea of what it looks like.

Later,
    pjdavep

home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 10:07:03 AM »

Here's some quick pics I took this morning, first the Cardas cable -

Now the Sonic Studios cable -

Like Moke said, the SS cable is very sturdy, yet flexible and it's made of Belden cable.  The Cardas is a little less sturdy, but still well put together, and very flexible.

Later,
  pjdavep

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 10:26:55 AM »
Shaggy, I personally used a straightwire mini to mini, both sides terminated to right angles and it worked perfectly.  The cable rarely unseated itself even after checking levels by pulling out the M1 to check it.  The straightwire cable is thin and flexible, so it was easy to manage with.  I have some of those stiff cables too and the sheer weight/resistence of the cable itself caused it to unseat on its own in tests before I gave up on them. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com