Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So my trusty old M1 died...should I pay to fix it?  (Read 2237 times)

Offline chong138

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
So my trusty old M1 died...should I pay to fix it?
« on: March 27, 2006, 05:47:12 PM »
I was fast forewarding a blank DAT before going to a show the other night...and all the sudden my M1 started making this terrible fast clicking noise.  I stopped it right away and ejected the tape.  I tried putting the tape back in after examining it to see if the DAT was screwed up...and It won't load any DAT tapes now.  I tried a couple different tapes and none of them worked.  Is this the symptoms of a common problem with used decks?  Should I spend the money to get it fixed or just buy a new Recorder?  Anyone know how much it might cost to fix?

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: So my trusty old M1 died...should I pay to fix it?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 05:51:48 PM »
While I too am clinging on to my DAT decks for as long as possible, at this point I'd definitely go with a HD or CF based recorder.

It might be cheaper to repair your M1, but add in the cost of more tapes, etc. it's kind of a no brainer.

I'd keep an out for a used JB3 in the Yard Sale. You can usually get one in the $125 to $175 range, which may well cost less than DAT repair.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 06:25:58 PM »
I agree...once my D8 bites it (9 years and still going strong!), I'm going HD/CF. Even if you don't have a home deck, it's probably cheaper to buy a used DA-20 to convert any leftover DATs than to fix your M1 for who knows how long...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline LEDZEPZOSO

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 06:43:45 PM »
I was fast forewarding a blank DAT before going to a show the other night...and all the sudden my M1 started making this terrible fast clicking noise.  I stopped it right away and ejected the tape.  I tried putting the tape back in after examining it to see if the DAT was screwed up...and It won't load any DAT tapes now.  I tried a couple different tapes and none of them worked.  Is this the symptoms of a common problem with used decks?  Should I spend the money to get it fixed or just buy a new Recorder?  Anyone know how much it might cost to fix?

You have a broken/cracked  gear or two. I think the fix at prodigital is around $175-200 depending on how many gears and which one cracked/broke. If you are going to stick to DAT's I would go with the repair. If you buy a used M1/D100 on Ebay it will cost you $300-450 used and you have no idea how long before the gears break/crack on this one. The turn around time for Pro Digital is great. I sent a M1 in on March 20th (Vegas) they called me on the 23rd and had it fixed and being sent out the next day (they are located in Penn). I should have it back with UPS ground on Tuesday the 28th, so you are looking at a eight day turnaround across country.

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 06:46:55 PM »
I got mine fixed one last time and also replaced it with a JB3 so I will probably never wear it out again just doing transfers of old shows. I hate to throw something that nice away. Plus I use it for the meters when recording on my JB3- of course you can use it for that without getting it fixed anyway.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline esteyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 08:59:17 PM »
i fixed my M1 - well paul fixed it - even tho' i had to put a whole new head assembly in it... a tab expensive btw. i have a stealth rig built around the M1 - basically the mic power resistors were changed to allow the deck to directly drive the older sennheiser capsules without having to use the preamp (K3U body). so for me there was good value in the fix. there was only the 722/744 stuff on the horizon then as well, so options available today were not available then. still i have no regrets, not much was/is that small and it does have a place in my setup. i think you should send it to paul for him to look at and estimate the repair cost then decide...

fwiw i run a sony DMX-P01 > un'modded marantz 671

nism
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.21 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com