Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Question on Sony Hi-MD MiniDisc Recorders  (Read 3711 times)

Offline disilluzion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Question on Sony Hi-MD MiniDisc Recorders
« on: April 02, 2006, 11:57:44 AM »
Greetings, noob here.

I need some tapers to help me out on this one. I was looking at getting a Sony Hi-MD MiniDisc recorder, possibly the MZ-RH910 for some
upcoming shows. I've heard that these Sony players are infected by the vial DRM, meaning that I would be able to record a show in WAV, but
wouldn't be able to edit it at all. Does anyone know if this is true and/or can recommend a substitute?

Thanks

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Question on Sony Hi-MD MiniDisc Recorders
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 12:46:11 PM »
The short answer is no, that is not true.  You might want to hop over to minidisc.org and check out the Hi-MD FAQ there for more information.

Offline wedraper

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Back in the saddle!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 01:22:00 PM »
i've been using that same recorder with no problems.

wed
AT853rx > UA-5 > MZ-RH910

Offline disilluzion

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 01:25:08 PM »
Thanks guys, I think I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 01:32:59 PM »
Might I recomend jumping up to the MZRH10 , it comes with a better battery and it has a backlight.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline disilluzion

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 01:41:23 PM »
I was comparing the two and they both looked identical except that the RH10 has a 6 line display as opposed to a 5 line. I'm not worried about the backlight, and as long as the battery will make it thru a concert I will be happy. It seems like it would be an extra $50 just for the display, unless I missed something.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 05:05:13 PM »
The backlight is VERY important if you are using this thing in the dark.  I need a flashlight at any indoor show.  The 910 comes with a 900mAh battery and the 10 comes with a 1450mAh battery. 

The 900mAh battery will not make it through a entire concert.  You can use the side car AA atachment or buy the GP gumstick charger that comes with 2 1400mAh batteries for $35.

nameloc01

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 06:51:06 PM »
dude,spend the extra few bucks and get the one w/ the backlight. i have the mzrh910 and it is a real pain in the ass trying to tape shows in the dark with it,i use my cell phone to light up the unit to see,and unit has almost gotten me caught a few times.i am going to upgrade here in a month or so, i also beleive the latter comes with a better battery.
-trust me

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 10:35:31 PM »
The backlight is VERY important if you are using this thing in the dark.  I need a flashlight at any indoor show.  The 910 comes with a 900mAh battery and the 10 comes with a 1450mAh battery. 

The 900mAh battery will not make it through a entire concert.  You can use the side car AA atachment or buy the GP gumstick charger that comes with 2 1400mAh batteries for $35.

Hey, do you got a link for that gumstick charger+ batteries?  I'm looking for that.

By the way, to the OP, if you want the best situation, get the RM-40ELC (typo?) remote.  This has a backlight and three lines, *with a level meter*!  You still have to use the base unit to start recording (and set to manual levels), but after that you can "lock" it and leave in pause-record mode.  The remote can start/stop pause record mode and adjust the levels.  This is, hands down, the best interface I've seen.

Thanks,
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

ilduclo

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 02:47:35 PM »
I use one of the really little LCD flashlights to read my meters. They run like $2 to $4 on Ebay or at most 7-11's or Radio Shack. For EXTREME stealthing, I tape some electrical tape across the top of the bulb/light to eliminate light bleeding out from the sides and to concentrate the beam where I need to see it. Most of them have a button that lights it up ONLY when you depress the button as well as an on setting to set it on until you shut it off. The one I have has a keychain ring, so I either put that around my thumb to keep it handy or I put it on my jacket or hoodies zipper to keep it safe.  This saves your batteries. If your recorder has a good lcd display, and your eyesight is either OK or corrected, you can see how your levels are and the status of your recording without wasting battery life.
The mini-flashes I got on EBay you are also able to replace the batteries, although in 6 months of use I have yet to need to do so. A real good investment for stealthing or any other time you need a small light, like coming home late and putting the keys in the door after hearing Isis at 1:30 am without waking the wife...... ::)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline MadMaster

• Taperssection Regular
  • Live from Amsterdam
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 04:00:50 AM »
I've got a MZ-RH10 myself and made very decent live-recordings with it (although I bought a JB3 last week...).
The OLED backlight is very handy, although I suggest you will not use it that much (only to check the settings and the levelmeters once before the recording starts, never adjust the level during recording...).
The MZ-RH10 has an small external "AA" Dry Battery Case that you easily can connect to the recorder.
The specs for the MZ-RH10 power-supply by batteries are:

Running time * |Gumstick|AA battery|Gumstick + AA battery
PCM|9/5,5 hour* |9,5/2 hour* |20/8 hour*
* play/recording

In Europe those gumstick-batteries are available at http://www.defotopagina.nl/batt.%20MP3.php (from The Netherlands).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 04:03:10 AM by MadMaster »
Microphones: SP-CMC-2 cardioids / MM-MCSM-4 cardioids
Batteryboxes: SP-SPSB-8 / MM-EBM-1
Recorders: Edirol R09HR / iRiver H120 / iRiver H140 / Sony MZ-RH10

Offline chinnus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 02:52:51 PM »
just wondering on this sony hi-md topic, is the microphone Sony ECM-DS70P supplied with some models suitable for recording with? Sony hipe it up just wondering of anyone has experience?
cheers
tom

PS will hopefully be taping satriani, jeff beck, iron maiden this year!
BTW
Has anyone know of Clapton 14th May 2006 bootleg - i was there and i am desparate for a bootleg!
cheers

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 05:04:39 PM »
The Sony mics are not suitible for anything really.  IMO

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com