Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony WM-D6C  (Read 4674 times)

Offline Brodie87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sony WM-D6C
« on: August 04, 2006, 10:02:37 AM »
I wanted some opinions on the Sony WM-D6C Proffesional Recording Walkman. Is it still a standard recording unit which has stood the test of time or just an antique(ie dust collector) from yesterdays analog era. I personally think this unit is a great staple of live recording which helped paved the way for modern digital recording techniques. Does anyone use the WM-D6C to record shows?

Offline cdevs

• Taperssection Regular
  • I got a pork roll egg cheese & bacon
Re: Sony WM-D6C
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 11:51:40 AM »
It's been years, but I would always look for a master from a D-5 ahead of a D-6. D-5 tapes always seemed just a tad richer and fuller. YMMV.
Gefell MG300s> Bumblebees> Apogee Mini-MP> Edirol R-09hr

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 02:34:19 AM »
The D-6 was a good deck, but did not have the same head or freq. response of the D-5. Also, it just had a stereo level indicator, not way to know or adjust l/r balance. Easier to get into places than a D-5 though.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 05:42:10 AM »
Some of you may not be old enough to remember ever seeing a D6C!

Have three of these and learned NOT to record with metal tape as distortion was way higher.  Genrally, portables (and most home decks) have too little power (many watts) to impress the best sound into Type IV metal formulation.  16 years ago, Sony made the best sounding Type 2 (chrome) tape formulation for these decks that tracked perfectly with Dolby C. 

Of course it helped that Sony SET THE BIAS AND DOLBY NR EXACTLY RIGHT FOR THEIR TAPE FORMULATION! 

Nowadays, no clue what tape might be optimum.  Really loved the mellow sound of TDK Type I ferric formulation with D6C, no sparkle, just great acoustic quality.  Second choice was TDK SA-X. 

I really doubt any of these are being made today, so even if the deck is in prime condition, finding a good to great tape formulation match makes D6C less practical for quality recording.

Have some D6C recordings on my site from mid to late 80's that matched anything I've done with DAT. 

In the Live Performance section suggest 'compared to you' song, Gene Harris, Andy Narrell, rock-out rendition of Radar Love by Code 3, and a few other recordings posted there that state the D6C recorder with/without external preamplifier in the notes.   

I mostly used Dolby C for everything (lower noise, most bass handling), but learned to use the EXACT same deck for playback if Dolby C was to track.  That's why I still have all three decks to play back the masters they originally made!

Go to: www.sonicstudios.com/mp3_2slp.htm  and realize what an analog cassette deck could do with the right conditions.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 08:11:24 AM »
Thanks guysonic for the tape information.  I bought a D6C several years ago for use as a backup backup deck and just to play with it.  A buddy of mine made a bunch of great-sounding tapes with this very same deck.  One of these days I'm gonna take it out for a spin.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 07:17:57 AM »
my first taping experience was w/the trusty D6.  Patching out of some schoeps rig in the TS (Albany 3-29-93).
Granted, it wasn't the deck that made that tape so fucking spectacular...but it was a nice little deck any way.
:)

Offline tdg455

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 01:40:03 AM »
I have one and might be using it next time since my M1 will only record on the right channel going line in. records fine mic in. But mic in sucks .  Dropping it the other day might have something to do with it!
What is the best way to record with the wm-d6c, line in or mic in? 
I used it to tape a Blue Oyster Cult show 4 months ago using my dpa 4061's. It seems like the line in didnt work the same way as line in on the m1. Wasnt a strong enough signal. So just used mic in.
The nice thing is pushing record and the recording starts immediately. The tricky and annoying thing about cassette is worrying about that 45 minute flip time. How long is this song going to be? I screwed up and did a flip during the guitar solo for "Dont fear the reaper". oh well. But hey what better media to use to record BOC!
I used maxell II high bias dolby c. Sounds better played back on that deck. Also better to have some blank lead tape at beginning and end. Sound isnt good at the end or very beginning.

I also have an old nak 550 that I drag out once in a while. not very stealthy though!

Tom

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 01:29:42 PM »
Honestly, I'd rather stick to digital.  With a iriver H120/H140+rockbox, you can set the unit to record 30 sec before you actually hit record on the unit.

Although, it's always interesting to read comments about how these cassette decks kicked ass.  I have a soft spot for analog.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 01:42:19 PM »
My first deck was a WM D-6. It was OK if you used Dolby C and used the same deck for playback as others have noted. I still have it, I only use it to listen to tapes I made using it.

FWIW, the sales guys at Listen Up (back in the day) swore by it, if used with a high-end 6v DC power supply. I did some comparissions at the time against the early digital decks and thought it compared well. With cassettes, it was like the current vinyl thing... There is something that is more musical about analog, that digital just doesn't capture... like the pops and clicks from albums and hiss of tape!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline tdg455

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 01:52:25 AM »
Well cassette and analog in general is in a lot of ways more reliable format to use. Naturalists going into the rainforests to record different sounds are still using cassette. As long as those reels turn, and contact that head, you will get something. But dat forget it if it is a little out of alignment or a little bit dirty on the heads. Even the tapeless units, although no  moving parts involved, still can have a problem. and a problem with digital usually means a recording that is unlistenable. Not that i have never had a mechanical problem with a cassette. But they are usually easier to fix.
analog can sound awesome, but does present more challenges when recording concerts.

Tom

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com