Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: hypercards vs cards  (Read 5782 times)

Offline skokiebob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
hypercards vs cards
« on: August 07, 2006, 07:17:28 AM »
Hello all. I know my answer is in these forums somewhere, but I can't seem to enter the right query to pull it up. My question is, and I know there is no DEFINITIVE answer, how far back from the stage do you get a better recording with the hyper caps. Some details for the particular show would be:
Balcony of Chicago Auditorium- maybe 100-150 ft from stage?
Sound pro cmc- 8's>battery box>sony Hi MD
Tom Waits
stealth
Thanks for your expertise, I've already gleaned alot from these forums!

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: hypercards vs cards
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 10:28:05 AM »
I'm not sure, but keep in mind that the Chicago Auditorium is one incredible sounding room.  I would use cards in that situation, as the auditorium is one of the best sounding places in the entire country.  That said, I would ordinarily go with hypers in that situation with a poorer sounding place.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 10:53:58 AM »
I'm not sure, but keep in mind that the Chicago Auditorium is one incredible sounding room.  I would use cards in that situation, as the auditorium is one of the best sounding places in the entire country.  That said, I would ordinarily go with hypers in that situation with a poorer sounding place.

I disagree with this.  The "section" at the auditorium theatre is very boomy and I think that is a perfect spot for hypers.  Best bet is to search the archive for sources from the venue and have a listen to deceide for yourself.  I have not tpaed there, but have heard a few tapes from there and was dissapointed with the sound on tape.  Sweetspot may be ideal for cards, but further back I think you would appreciate the omni's hypers.  The volume of the show, and the abilities of the engineer to tune the room will go a long way as to how that room will sound.  The Auditorium theatre is a very old room that was acoustically designed to amplify acoustic performances without PA.  The room is very "live" sounding.  They have done some work since they remodled 5 or 6 years ago, but it is still a very live room.

Matt
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 06:59:42 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

slayerrocker

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 05:41:38 PM »

Sweetspot may be ideal for cards, but further back I think you would appreciate the omni's. 

Matt
[/quote]

Matth: Omnis or hypers at 150'?  I think you mean hypers.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 06:59:16 PM »

Sweetspot may be ideal for cards, but further back I think you would appreciate the omni's. 

Matt

Matth: Omnis or hypers at 150'?  I think you mean hypers.
[/quote]

YES!!!!  Doo!

I'll also add that I have attended shows there and heard tapes from the shows I was at.  I forgot to say that too in my post.

Matt
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 07:01:19 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 07:21:10 PM »
I ran hypers from row Z at the Auditorium for Wilco and the recording sounds damn fine. I would suggest if your beyond the first rail to run hypers to cut down the boom in the room.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 10:30:00 PM »
If in doubt, I would always run hypers.  They will always sound good.  I would only run cards when the room is great and when you can get a great position, up close.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

slayerrocker

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 11:29:13 AM »
I agree - hypers when in doubt.

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 11:45:19 AM »
If in doubt, I would always run hypers.  They will always sound good.  I would only run cards when the room is great and when you can get a great position, up close.

Richard

what he said.

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 02:25:57 PM »

Richard

what he said.

definately!
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 02:29:31 PM »

Richard

what he said.

definately!

I agree, but I suppose it depends on your tastes.  IMO, better too little room sound than too much.  I recently taped an indoor show from the 5th row with my hypers and I'm glad I did.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 02:30:35 PM »

Richard

These are the words of an AKG fluffer!!!!

Matt

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 06:33:02 PM »
Since I've owned my Hypers, I've run cards less than 10 times in the last 16 months!

HYPERS OWN!!!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 08:28:46 PM »
i run my hypers in the SWEET SPOT/FOB/off DFC from the stage, everywhere

i know cards work great as festivals, but after only having hypers a couple of moedowns ago, i think they may be the best tapes ive ever had the pleasure of making, so sont l;isten to the 'general' rules, experiment and see what works best for YOU

483>v3>jb3 ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline PG

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 08:38:48 PM »
Ive run my cards over my hypers for a while. I dont think ive used the hypers since 12/05.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com