Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: microphonetips  (Read 3746 times)

Offline perik

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
microphonetips
« on: August 23, 2006, 04:11:00 PM »
hi!

I´m going to use my Iriver H120 for recording sounds in different atmospheres, sometimes very quiet sounds (if u excuse the expression, dont think its correct english)

have anyone got a microphone tips for me. I dont want to use the preamp in the rockbox to much, not louder than + 20DB cause noticed it started to be some hizz and bums and want to avoid that. and I dont want to use an extarnal preamp cause then there are so much things to carry around.

so do anyone know a good sounding microphone with loud outputlevel (or what its called?) ?

I have been looking on the two microphones: Sony ECM-MS907 and the cheaper one Sony ECM-DS70P. Do anyone have any experience of these two mics and how they works with H120 and rockbox?

Can you anywhere in the specifications see what "outputlevel" it comes from the mics if u look on this site: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/%20INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=pa_PADepartmentAccessories_Microphones_DigitalMics&ProductSKU=ECMDS70P&TabName=specs&var2=

or this:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=pa_PADepartmentAccessories_Microphones_DigitalMics&ProductSKU=ECMMS907&TabName=specs&var2=

Is it this?:
ECM-DS70P: Sensitivity: -38dBV, ±3.5dB for the and
ECM-MS907: Effective Output Level-56 dBm <+->4dB (0dB=1mW/Pa, 1kHz)

so the ECM-DS70P has got higher outputlevel then?

So.
Do anyone have got experience of these two mics?
Has anyone used it together with H120?
Will the input level be enough without gaining up över 20 Db and in that way avoiding noise?
any other tips on other mics that would suit my purpose? Think the most important is to get good inputlevels without using the gain in H120 to much, but the sam time having good result from my mic.

AND do anyone know any mic that is good and get "high outputlevels" if u understand what i mean?

Thanks a lot for your help

/ Perik
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 07:59:28 PM by perik »

Offline perik

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: microphonetips
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 07:49:04 PM »
No one got any tips? I´m sure you do. I´ve read quit a lot of posts and I know a lot of you know a lot of things. Please give me some tips. Would really apreciate it!!!

Anyone got any tips of a mic with high output Level???? The higher the better so I don´t have to use the Iriver H120 digital gain to much. Think that´s what I´m looking for.

My budget is up to $200

thanks

/ Perik

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 04:17:29 PM »
No one got any tips? I´m sure you do. I´ve read quit a lot of posts and I know a lot of you know a lot of things. Please give me some tips. Would really apreciate it!!!

Anyone got any tips of a mic with high output Level???? The higher the better so I don´t have to use the Iriver H120 digital gain to much. Think that´s what I´m looking for.

My budget is up to $200

thanks

/ Perik

To be honest with you, I think you are starting with a deck that is NOT good for your purpose.  Some have used this deck with certain high output mics, but for very loud amplified club/concert stuff.

You can't get there WITHOUT using an external preamplifier with most any type of mic suitable for natural sounds recording  using this specific deck that lacks too many needed features. 

Suggest upping your budget at some time to get both suitable mic, and a deck with full preamplifier, manual adjustment, VU indicators, that provides a 'system that works well for your specific interests.

My site has an extensive FAQ section that is useful and linked from this page: www.sonicstudios.com/tips.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 08:53:19 PM »
Dude, if you're going to pimp your shit all the time, at least make your website comprehensible.  Lord.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 06:52:30 AM »
Dude, if you're going to pimp your shit all the time, at least make your website comprehensible.  Lord.

What he meant to say is "1994 called and wants it's HTML back".
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 11:36:05 AM »
Dam guys go easy, My web site sucks right now, how come nobody makes fun of it toO? DON'T ANSWER THAT :)  Guy is a good "guy" He does try and pimp his gear all the time insted of what I do, help 90% of the time pimp 10% I find the 90 to 10% ratio works best for most sorces :)  But maybe if someone said to him hey Guy less pimp more help gets you respect in here, maybe things could change. Maybe he could also be convinced to fix his web site? Hell maybe I could too.

Chris

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 04:36:09 PM »
Dam guys go easy, My web site sucks right now, how come nobody makes fun of it toO? DON'T ANSWER THAT :)  Guy is a good "guy" He does try and pimp his gear all the time insted of what I do, help 90% of the time pimp 10% I find the 90 to 10% ratio works best for most sorces :)  But maybe if someone said to him hey Guy less pimp more help gets you respect in here, maybe things could change. Maybe he could also be convinced to fix his web site? Hell maybe I could too.

Chris

Thanks for giving this thread a bit of respective perspective. 

IF one actually does a search of ALL MY POSTS including this thread, I think you'd find I do apply the suggest ratio. 

It seems some just want to discourage this GUY from posting anything, even the helpful information, or reviews and tips about common equipment posted my site, or maybe just don't like SP or OADE having alternatives or other business owners posting advice and experiences to this particular group of tapers.

I do get feedback from many tapers in this group (without suspect agendas) appreciating the good advice and tips presented in the majority of the posts.

For perspective, I did check and found the SP posts are MOSTLY all about the gear they do sell and the modifications on that very same gear offered ONLY by them, and for that type of posting, they get double bonus tickets for each post it seems, so go figure who needs to be more informative and LESS involved with their promotional content?   

Suggest those who question this do a search of ALL the SP posts and GUYSONIC posts.  Those who honestly do a search will see a pattern emerging that is unmistakable.

In any case, will continue to ignore those few bad apples who shout loudly saying ugly things and using language (specifically stated in 'black-and-white as NOT part of this group's intended mission) to discourage and invalidate guy's posting anything and everything regardless of intention or benefit to the others in the discussion. 

I feel it's important (both to my business AND) to most recordists who read these threads to continue to provide a needed informative resource for gear, how best to use it always drawing on 20+ years of recording experience. 

I think it's important to realize, I am an active-passionate taper myself who started out NOT finding available practical mic systems for live audience recording 20 years ago.  I still go out to tape a lot of different stuff, using the gear (that according to some) I am NOT supposed to talk about, and post hundreds of free to download and enjoy recordings made with the very same techniques/recording systems I and my customers own and use. 

NO OTHER BUSINESS OWNER AND TAPER is offers anything like this guy does.  That is, free recordings using EXACTLY the techniques and specialized gear sometimes posted about. 

I am the ONLY one I know to go to such trouble to both educate and present posted recorded examples in such HUGE variety and quantity.  For doing that, there are ALWAYS going to be some who wish I wouldn't, but their reasons and agenda are somewhat suspect. 
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

dorrcoq

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 06:53:50 PM »
It only makes sense to me that all you business guys would make reference to your own site and your own equipment.  I'm unlikely to buy from all of you, but it doesn't mean I don't learn stuff from all of your posts and your websites.  As a new taper, I find it a real plus that knowledgable people who make their living in the field take time to help the rest of us.  And if it helps you all sell some more gear, then we all win. ;)

Offline perik

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 06:50:12 AM »
ok. I understand u guys have got a lot to talk about and so but any tips for microphones? that was the thread was supposed to about.

thanks for those tips ive got. anyone else?

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 12:38:40 PM »
The tip of the 1/8" stereo plug is the left channel signal. (Ring is right and sleeve is ground.)
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 12:52:40 PM »
Smartass..... :)

The tip of the 1/8" stereo plug is the left channel signal. (Ring is right and sleeve is ground.)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com