Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-4 recording question  (Read 3532 times)

Offline jebi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
R-4 recording question
« on: August 29, 2006, 10:29:58 AM »
hey all...so last night was my first time using the R-4.  I used two 184's,  I had the option of line in or mic in..i choose mic in.  My levels were peaked out and i could not turn them down anymore.   

So i used the limiter abd it helped thing out a lil'.    Then i switched it over to line in and the levels were perfect.

so should i always use line in or is that a no no?                                   

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: R-4 recording question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 10:35:20 AM »
hey all...so last night was my first time using the R-4.  I used two 184's,  I had the option of line in or mic in..i choose mic in.  My levels were peaked out and i could not turn them down anymore.   

So i used the limiter abd it helped thing out a lil'.    Then i switched it over to line in and the levels were perfect.

so should i always use line in or is that a no no?                                   
always use the line in.  No question.  the r4 was designed more for news gathering and not lound rock shows.  For quieter shows you can go without it possibly and some guys use the pad on their mics, but it is safe and typicla to use the built in pad.

matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline jebi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 10:47:30 AM »
thanks matt!

my recording came out pretty welll besides alll those idiot people who like to chat about there lives during the whole entire show.   

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 11:11:31 AM »
I recorded the String Summit all weekend on mic in and only had to run the gain on the 2nd mark for excellent levels. I do also reccomend the line-in for rock and most indoor shows though.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 12:01:10 PM »
I recorded the String Summit all weekend on mic in and only had to run the gain on the 2nd mark for excellent levels. I do also reccomend the line-in for rock and most indoor shows though.
Do you think your mod help in that regard Chris?

matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 12:34:25 PM »
I run mic-in with 10db pads a lot, but if it's loud PA indoors, I run line-in for sure. It's going to depend on your mics and the show, but when starting out if you aren't sure, when in doubt LINE-IN for sure.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 08:44:31 PM »
Since the R4 only adds gain with the input pots, I would rather run mic in at close to minimum gain than line in at 60% or more gain.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 09:58:46 PM »
Since the R4 only adds gain with the input pots, I would rather run mic in at close to minimum gain than line in at 60% or more gain.

Agreed. But remember, if you are down at zero gain, you've got no where to run when the levels creep up during the set... If I can run at 11 'o clock or higher on the pots, then I'll go mic-in, otherwise, I'll pad it more or go line-in...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline ford prefect

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 10:19:38 AM »

Agreed. But remember, if you are down at zero gain, you've got no where to run when the levels creep up during the set...

Had this problem last weekend.  Ran split omnis mic-in for The Roots and even at zero gain there is slight clipping on the recording.  Outdoor set too.  When I switched to the cards after that set there was a huge difference - I was able to add 30% gain to bring it up to normal levels.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 10:37:38 AM »

Agreed. But remember, if you are down at zero gain, you've got no where to run when the levels creep up during the set...

Had this problem last weekend.  Ran split omnis mic-in for The Roots and even at zero gain there is slight clipping on the recording.  Outdoor set too.  When I switched to the cards after that set there was a huge difference - I was able to add 30% gain to bring it up to normal levels.

Omni's tend to capture more bass... I bet that was the difference in levels.  w/ the 480's there may be a significant difference in the sensitivity of the overall mic from capsul to capsul too.  What config did you run with the cards?

Matt

Offline ford prefect

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 01:11:52 PM »
Omni's tend to capture more bass... I bet that was the difference in levels.  w/ the 480's there may be a significant difference in the sensitivity of the overall mic from capsul to capsul too.  What config did you run with the cards?

It was probably NOSish. 90 degress, too much space between capsules for DIN.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com