Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PC speakers/Monitors need advice  (Read 2145 times)

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
PC speakers/Monitors need advice
« on: August 22, 2006, 08:12:08 PM »
Need to pick up a new set, was looking @ the Swan m200 but their availability is sketchy and i need some thing soon (just moved and ditched my old advents)
Not looking for anything surround or w/ a sub just 2 channel, powered.  I have read the old threads but want to see what people are eyeing now.
I've been looking @ the Edirol's and do like the idea of the spdif input.
Any insight on what to get or what not to get would be helpful.

budget max $200
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: PC speakers/Monitors need advice
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 01:16:28 AM »
I'm in the same boat and have been contemplating the Edirols myself...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 05:41:59 AM »
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=spk_multimedia&item=c1swzzzzz

those definitely do not suck!

the swan s300a is the upgrade for the m200. also, if you can get an amp, these:
http://www.avantelectronics.com/AVANTONE_mixcubes.htm  are getting a lot of buzz on GS..169 for the pair.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 11:27:04 AM »
Teddy,

I'm looking for something to mix with that will be better than mixing/mastering with headphones and my home stereo (which is currently how I do it -- initial mix on headphone, tweak the mix on the stereo, which isn't ideal I know). Would something like this work? I was thinking a little more about a cheap set of "true" monitors (like the BX8?) and a better audio card. Any ideas? I'd love to go cheaper like above, but I want something that's going to serve the purpose well.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RebelRebel

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 12:17:05 PM »
Teddy,

I'm looking for something to mix with that will be better than mixing/mastering with headphones and my home stereo (which is currently how I do it -- initial mix on headphone, tweak the mix on the stereo, which isn't ideal I know). Would something like this work? I was thinking a little more about a cheap set of "true" monitors (like the BX8?) and a better audio card. Any ideas? I'd love to go cheaper like above, but I want something that's going to serve the purpose well.

If you are looking for something both to mix/master and listen with that will translate well to other systems id go with the Blue Sky Media Desk System. Those are affordable and are getting accolades on a lot of the audio engineer forums. They can be had for pretty cheap, and again, have a lot of pro guys saying that they are great.

http://www.smalldog.com/product/33509/atfgc

BobW

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 07:09:57 PM »
the swans M200 are hard to beat, but they are rear-ported, so placement= "bass response"
Place them on the floor against a wall and they boom horribly.

Give them some room to breathe and they are amazing little boxes, and not ugly at all.

newegg.com used to have 'em.
don't know who does now

RebelRebel

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 07:28:55 PM »
they were phased out for the new gen..the swan s200a.

the blue sky media desk system is supreme in my book. it is my 3rd set of ears on my workstation...as HQ as they come.

http://www.music123.com/Product/Product.aspx?sku=229396&source=froogle

there is nothing for less than 1500 USD that I used that came anywhere near em. heard about em from a lot of bigboys on Gearslutz, and man, were they right!

the swans M200 are hard to beat, but they are rear-ported, so placement= "bass response"
Place them on the floor against a wall and they boom horribly.

Give them some room to breathe and they are amazing little boxes, and not ugly at all.

newegg.com used to have 'em.
don't know who does now

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 11:11:57 AM »
I got the swans and m-audio studio pro 3.  Haven't brought the swans home from work yet, i need to re-arrange my workstation area a little.  The m-audio's are great, only craw back is they lack a little power but perfect for what i am using them for.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com