Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Samson Condenser set : CL2  (Read 2850 times)

Offline RemotelyLocated

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: New Samson Condenser set : CL2
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:54:36 AM »
Figured I'd group some 30-second samples of these mics to this post, since there don't seem to be other samples mentioned on this site. This is a very nice omni/card SDC kit. The samples are of a H.S. choir + piano accompaniment, although the last cut features guest adult opera singers (!).

https://soundcloud.com/deckert-audio/sets/ehs-samples-fall-2013-1

Mics are at stage lip about 5 ft above the stage, 22" apart. Omni, A-B. I apply a high pass filter rolling off the lows starting at about 150Hz on down due to the LOUD roar from the auditorium's HVAC. I set levels once, at the beginning of the recording and let it ride, which turned out well and left enough headroom for the final ending which was the loudest part of the show. That said, I don't remember if the samples I uploaded were normalized; they might be?

I thought the recording sounded good listening on 2 different pairs of headphones but when I played it back on speakers I was thrilled with how everything sounded.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 02:59:57 PM »
Quality Bump.

Will check out the file later.

Quite the presence peak in the omni.  Seems suited for far field work.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline RemotelyLocated

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 01:46:47 PM »
Oh, you mean the charts in the owner's manual? I just now looked at that and you're right. Overall, the cardioid caps seem flatter up top, if not as even.

I didn't even consider trying a little EQ cut up there; might have helped mellow it just a touch.

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
I own a pair of these. They were the first mic I ever owned for taping. And I liked them a lot, now I use them as a beater pair of mics or second or third stage stuff. I used them at gotv and they were great, they seems to get a lot of kick drum and not the most deep bass but they are a great mic especially with shocks at 200. A steal for something as good. And the quality is very nice, they are rugged.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline RemotelyLocated

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 08:00:04 PM »
That's good to know. Do you have much experience with their high pass filter? I do mostly stage-lip recordings, sometimes with mics only 1ft from the floor (on stage)picking up footfalls or am fighting HVAC roar.

Just wondering (in general, possibly) if it's really better to cut out what I can at the source or wait until post. In other words the lo freq noise isn't loud enough to cause overload or whatever, just annoyance. And I realize all filters, be they mechanical, electrical or software, are imperfect in various ways.

runonce

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 08:01:44 AM »
Wait till post for high-pass is conventional wisdom around here...

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
Wait till post for high-pass is conventional wisdom around here...

Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com