Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-CMC-8 or SP-CMC-4U ??  (Read 4962 times)

Offline tbugsett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
SP-CMC-8 or SP-CMC-4U ??
« on: January 18, 2007, 06:13:54 AM »
Hello everybody.

I'm a long time lurker but this is my first post. I'm a taper from Norway who has used my trusty old D7 DAT and CSB's mics for over 10 years now. It's about time to enter the new millenium! So I've decided to buy a new recorder before my old D7 dies on me. And in the process I'm getting new mics as well as I've never been entirely satisfied with my CSB's.

Anyway, I don't tape much, usually only 2-3 shows a year so I'm not prepaired to invest much. And after *lots* of reading and researching here I've narrowed it down to this setup:

1. Edirol R-09
2. Church Audio 3-wire ST9100 preamp
3. 3-wire modded mics from Sound Professionals

And here's my question: I have a hard time choosing between the CMC-8 "mics similar to AT853 in performance" as it says. Or the new CMC-4U (AT U853)

The CMC-8's are well known of course. I've heard lots of great recordings with them but I can't find much info nor do I think I've heard any recordings with the new U853's.

Any input about which one to choose?

I also should add that I tape mostly stealth in both larger halls/arenas (Dylan, Neil Young etc) but also smaller clubs, usually 1000-15000 capacity venues.

- Thor
MK4 / MK41 > actives > Nbox+ > R-09

(Backup rig: SP-CMC-8 > AT8532 > CA ST9100 > R-09/Sony D7)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SP-CMC-8 or SP-CMC-4U ??
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 08:16:45 AM »
The U853 is a new version of the AT853.  The U853 has better stats on paper and is RF shielded.  The CMC-8 is similar to the 853's, but smaller in size.  The CMC-8 is slightly bigger than the Core-Sounds, and the U853 is about 2-3 times bigger...

I prefer the U853 over the CMC-8(AT943), but if size is an issue, I would go with the 943s.

IMO, if you don't tape that much and you don't want to spend a whole lot, I would just buy the Church Audio preamp and cardiod mics.  They sell as a cheap package.  The sound of Church's mics is very compairable to the AT mics.  The only reason I would pick the AT mics over the Church mics is the interchangable capsules. 
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 06:45:33 PM »
The U853 is a new version of the AT853.  The U853 has better stats on paper and is RF shielded.  The CMC-8 is similar to the 853's, but smaller in size.  The CMC-8 is slightly bigger than the Core-Sounds, and the U853 is about 2-3 times bigger...

I prefer the U853 over the CMC-8(AT943), but if size is an issue, I would go with the 943s.

IMO, if you don't tape that much and you don't want to spend a whole lot, I would just buy the Church Audio preamp and cardiod mics.  They sell as a cheap package.  The sound of Church's mics is very compairable to the AT mics.  The only reason I would pick the AT mics over the Church mics is the interchangable capsules. 

+t for a very clear answer. Good advice there.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Alchemy

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 09:42:42 PM »
bump  :P

What's the word on the street...re: the thread title. I have read so much about the CMC-4U but never realized how big they are.  :o
I think the picture speaks for itself:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,62590.msg836050.html#msg836050

I swore that if I ever bought mics again I would get something smaller than the ECM-719, which was abit of a pain to stealth.
Who has an opinion?

I prefer the U853 over the CMC-8(AT943)

Out of curiousity, why is that?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 09:45:43 PM by Alchemy »

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 04:29:14 AM »
Who has an opinion?

I have used both AT943 (the small capsules) and AT853 (the large ones). I prefer the sound of the AT853s, similar but fuller sound.

The picture you linked to is of the CMC4s, which have a grey plastic sheath over the mic bodies to enable use of their mini-mic clips pictured (not particularly brilliant), which increases the size, but not particularly the weight.

Everything's a compromise, and the one I have settled on is small ES943 bodies, adaptor, and large AT853 mics.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 08:26:12 AM by Humbug »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 10:55:47 AM »
bump  :P

What's the word on the street...re: the thread title. I have read so much about the CMC-4U but never realized how big they are.  :o
I think the picture speaks for itself:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,62590.msg836050.html#msg836050

I swore that if I ever bought mics again I would get something smaller than the ECM-719, which was abit of a pain to stealth.
Who has an opinion?

You can make them much smaller here is a mod I have done to the 853 mics I have changed the mic body and re-cabled the mics with mogami here is a picture.. They end up being about half the size they were. This mod works for the plastic 853 body mics you just have to crack open the body of the mic and put 1/4 heat shrink over the metal barrel that is underneath the plastic shell and your mics will be much smaller. But while you have them apart re-cable them with some nice thin cable like I did.
You just have to unscrew the metal nut on the top of the mic body I used a pair of Xcelite M170 electronics cutters. $14.00 the tips of the cutters fit nicely into the small holes on top of the nut.

Chris Church

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 11:06:59 AM »
Who has an opinion?

I have used both AT943 (the small capsules) and AT853 (the large ones). I prefer the sound of the AT853s, similar but fuller sound.

The picture you linked to is of the CMC4s, which have a grey plastic sheath over the mic bodies to enable use of their mini-mic clips pictured (not particularly brilliant), which increases the size, but not particularly the weight.

Everything's a compromise, and the one I have settled on is small ES943 bodies, adaptor, and large AT853 mics. This fits comfortably on a stiff shirt collar, though I use elastic loops to keep them as close to DIN as possible. I have found this requires three-wire powering (or phantom), which is why a lot of people are put off.

I use the AT mini rotating clips, which are OK, though I've lost two so far..

I will delete the picture below in a couple of days, as it definitely falls under the "stealth reminder" header..

Apologies for the stubble..this is a Sunday!

So what are you using to hold the mics?  That looks like velcro?

I do a similar thing with my mics.  Except I use the Shure (rotating) clips.  An advantage of this is you can move your head naturally while keeping the mics pointing forward.  Your neck acts as a baffle.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 11:35:26 AM »

Because I like the sound better.  More full and natural.  Also the RF shielding is a bonus as well. 
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Alchemy

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 02:56:39 PM »
OK, thanks for all the replies folks. If better sound quality is what the 853 produces, then so be it- this was just a last minute thought. I have the pictures and explanation Humbug, so you can wipe it from the face of the earth.  ;)
 +Ts all around.

Alchemy

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 03:03:01 PM »
Also, Humbug, getting specific, do you like your AT clips better than the regular rotating clips?

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 05:43:28 PM »
Also, Humbug, getting specific, do you like your AT clips better than the regular rotating clips?

The mini rotating clips don't fit my AT933/853s, because the mics don't have the plastic sheath. I think they are specific to Sound Professional mics.

I use them on the CMC2s, and they work OK, though the jaws don't open very far. I've removed some of the tiny jaw covers to make more room.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com