Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: pmd 660 (no mods) offer  (Read 2589 times)

Offline shukenja

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
pmd 660 (no mods) offer
« on: April 11, 2007, 12:21:37 PM »
welcome all.

i was given an offer to buy one-month old pmd660 with no mods done on it, added 2gigs of CF cards (dont know what brand are they thogh).

all of it for a nice price of 350$.

i know its a good price, but heres the question:

as a person just starting in field recording, is pmd 660 worth the price, or is it better to get something later for more $ ?

i was thinking about fostex fr2, i know its pro and expensive but i want one since ive seen it advertised. im just unsure - should i get the marantz or should i wait for next year / two and buy a shiny new fostex.

i wont be recording any gigs, i want to start in field, and no linguistics,juzt ambiace recording most of the time.therefore i know all gig-type mods are of no use to me. actually, im not a pristine-sound searcher, i know my newbie ears wouldnt hear a difference in different recordings for a start, but still. im just wondering, should i go for it or wait a bit more. the mic i would get, is, probably akg c900 (cardioid condenser) or rode nt-1a  - maybe that doesnt sound reasonable, but these are the mics i found myself the best-sounding, gathered from samples available on net.

so, thathe main problem, to buy it or wait for something bigger.

any advice would be nice.

best regards.
shukenja.
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message.
... -> 2 x studio projects c1->pmd 600 -> ...

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
Re: pmd 660 (no mods) offer
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 12:24:21 PM »
I'll take it if you don't want it!
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline shukenja

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 12:34:44 PM »
haha

well, the question is, really, is it worthy taking for this price. i was doing a few months of research a year ago, tryin to pick up recorder i want to buy. obviously, fostex landed up first, equally with quality and price of it. then, as i remember, marantz and tascam.
now, i havent heard so many bad opinions about pmd660 as about any other. seems like most pro guys dont like it in first issue version. since i dont want to do any mods, im wondering - if its really not good enough.
in other words ive heard not so long ago - i just dont want to get a dearer table top recorder. i want a field recorder, and what i can gather, pmd 660 lacks in here a lot.

BUT

im a newbie. lot to learn, and if you start to drive, you certainly dont get a bmw from beginning.
hence the questions :)

Offline saxophoner

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 01:40:01 PM »
its a good little box for what its doing.  records in 16 bit 44.1k, has phantom 48v power so you can power two condensor mics.  i enjoyed mine thouroughly but i sold it to eclarke so i can finance a DAT and some other junk i prolly should buy ;).  for $350 its a great price, i sold mine for $450 with rechargable batts, 10ft. stand, and case for it.  sounds like you're getting a great deal.  jump on it.  its a great deck for anyone new, hell im still new and i figured it out no prob, w/o reading directons
microphones > a/d pre > recorder
Travis from Wisconsin

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 01:46:58 PM »
how is the pre stage on this box?  AD?

Pros cons?
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline pmonk66

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 02:32:16 PM »
its a good little box for what its doing.  records in 16 bit 44.1k, has phantom 48v power so you can power two condensor mics.  i enjoyed mine thouroughly but i sold it to eclarke so i can finance a DAT and some other junk i prolly should buy ;).  for $350 its a great price, i sold mine for $450 with rechargable batts, 10ft. stand, and case for it.  sounds like you're getting a great deal.  jump on it.  its a great deck for anyone new, hell im still new and i figured it out no prob, w/o reading directons

Plus it has an XLR inputs!

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 04:01:29 PM »
Buy it, use it, sell it in six months for $350. 

After you have some experience, you'll have a better idea what
you need to attain the results you want from the venues you tape.

Flintstone

Offline paullySC

• Taperssection Member
  • I'll stir fry you in my wok
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 08:08:51 AM »
For 16 bit recording you can't really beat the PMD660 w/ Advanced Concert Mod for the money. I can't see myself using anything else for 16 bit and considering it an 'upgrade'. At least not a very noticeable upgrade.
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Studio Projects C4 > PMD 660 ACM

Shows:

Offline shukenja

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 09:20:01 PM »
the guy who was supposed to sell me this baby dones'nt answer my mails anymore. i could put this on friday night, but if i would be selling a piece of equipment like pmd i would be consistent enough even to say "im away for the weekend".
we'll see,

i actually started to consider getting fostex fr2 again. seems like the first option you consider is allways the best one, and most probable to happen...

offer seems to be completed on monday.
pmd 660 with a box and cables / 2gb of CF cards / 350$ inc.shipping overseas.

oh dear... :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 07:29:21 PM by shukenja »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com