Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recorded on DAT now BLANK????!  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Md2545

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I am not a number I am a free man!!!
Recorded on DAT now BLANK????!
« on: May 26, 2007, 11:59:21 AM »
So last night I was taping a quartet and I ran my D8 instead of my d100. My D8 is an older maching but I like using it because it is alot quieter than the D100. Right before the first set I had my machine not accept the tape I kept loading it and loading it and finally it started to record. I made sure everything was ok levels, not in pause mode and everything looked to be running smoothly. Now back at the house last night I go to rewind alittle of the tape to listen to my work but the deck will only rewind 3 seconds at a time before it shuts off. Open the fucker up to notice that the tape is wrapped around gears. With delicate hands I got the tape out, rewound it, popped it into my D100 and nothing, says the tape is blank. I know for a fact I was recording, I looked around this site and noticed that sometime machines can tape on the backside of the tape. Do you think this is a posibility or is there no media on the tape at all. Does everything in the deck need to line up to actually record. My levels said I was rolling and everything was going smoothly but I guess thats not the case now. I hope for the communitys sake the tape isn't a total waste. F.Y.I I was using new 90 Meter Fuiji tapes. Not sure if this problem is more common with meter tapes. Please help going back tonight to tape round two but, I actually want to hear them on tape this time.

MD
DSM-6S/M>PA-6>Sony PCM D50 or Sony TCD-D100

DPA 4060 > Core-Sound B.Box > Sony PCM-D50

Offline red

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Recorded on DAT now BLANK????!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 12:10:07 PM »
Unfortunately, it sounds like the dreaded DAT misload:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,46870.0.html

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 01:11:10 PM »
This has happened to virtually all DAT deck users at one time or another UNTIL they get wise to do a short 10-30 second TEST RECORDING with immediate check it's OK playback at the beginning of every newly loaded DAT tape.

D7/8 models are infamous for occasionally  misloading tapes, D100/M1 rarely have issues with loading tapes correctly; that's what all that noise is about with D100/M1 decks is they fully check everything is OK before recording. 

In this case I think you'll agree that some deck noise is better than 'deadly recorded tape silence!'

Tips regarding DAT and other type decks at: www.sonicstudios.com/tips.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 12:39:32 AM »
Maybe you recorded on teh back of the tape?

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 04:19:29 AM »

Is that even possible?
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 06:43:29 AM »
Is that even possible?
Where else would the audio go?
Reading reports on the web about misloading Sony D7/8/* decks I see mentions that if you don't eject the tape after recording but immediately clone the tape you can make a copy and thus save the audio.
If that is possible the tape is not too much damaged and was passed in a more or less correct orientation over the head.
So the only way is then that the tape was recorded on the back.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com