Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: H120 Level Meter  (Read 7594 times)

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
H120 Level Meter
« on: June 05, 2007, 03:57:01 PM »
In doing some testing with H120 and setting the Level range i noticed that the max range is 0 and min -30 and after doing some sound tests it seems that the best recordings(clearest) are those that are hovering right at that 0 mark or the very end of the meter, and those that are under seem a little "cloudy", and i have the agc set to off, am i missing something or is this the best way to record or do you guys clean that up in post? Or should i just tighten the range of the meter to like -15 to 0?

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: H120 Level Meter
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 04:54:34 PM »
you are right....i switched the levelmeter range from -40db(left) to 0dB(right).
i would use AGC-safety all time.
set l+r gain to +15dB for concerts and AGC does the rest and enjoy the show.
levels will be as hot as possible with AGC-safety.
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 09:16:11 PM »
The problem with AGC is that you get 'pumping" as the gain goes up and down according to the sound level.  I like no AGC and then bring up the sound level with ReplayGain in the FLAC stage.  YMMV       8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 04:04:53 AM »
The problem with AGC is that you get 'pumping" as the gain goes up and down according to the sound level.  I like no AGC and then bring up the sound level with ReplayGain in the FLAC stage.  YMMV       8)

<RANT>Will you guys PLEASE stop telling nonsense about the rockbox AGC-Safety feature? PLEASE. For the last time: rockbox AGC-Safety DOES NOT increase gain, it only decreases gain if the signal gets too hot, just like any sensible taper would do during manual gain control. You can even set its sensitivity (speed) so it won't respond to short peaks.</RANT>

I'm sorry, I just coudn't take it any more.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 04:27:00 AM »

<RANT>Will you guys PLEASE stop telling nonsense about the rockbox AGC-Safety feature? PLEASE. For the last time: rockbox AGC-Safety DOES NOT increase gain, it only decreases gain if the signal gets too hot, just like any sensible taper would do during manual gain control. You can even set its sensitivity (speed) so it won't respond to short peaks.</RANT>

I'm sorry, I just coudn't take it any more.

YES PETUR, thx for clearing things up ;).
Maybe "AGC-safety" should be renamed to "safety-clip" for NOT confusing people who know AGC as "pumping" feature ;) from other recording machines.
the word "AGC" is simply misleading people who don´t know rockbox.
I always use the "saftey-clip" for recording shows ;) it´s great!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 04:32:47 AM by Arni99 »

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 05:42:46 AM »
Arni, how does those +15dB work? is it really enough? I find it a bit conservative, but maybe I'm wrong...I haven't used that feature yet and want to be sure what level should be best for normal rock shows (let's say the cure, interpol, franz ferdinand, editors and similar bands), I have applied more gain than that without getting distortion in the past...
I prefer change levels manually, but I want to give a try to this AGC-Safety feature, looks great set the levels once and forget you're taping  :)

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 06:26:05 AM »
Arni, how does those +15dB work? is it really enough? I find it a bit conservative, but maybe I'm wrong...I haven't used that feature yet and want to be sure what level should be best for normal rock shows (let's say the cure, interpol, franz ferdinand, editors and similar bands), I have applied more gain than that without getting distortion in the past...
I prefer change levels manually, but I want to give a try to this AGC-Safety feature, looks great set the levels once and forget you're taping  :)
i taped red hot chili peppers and started with +20dB for l+r gain....after the show levels were at +9dB each....so "safety-clip" reduced levels to +9db.
of course the sensitivity of your mics must be taken into consideration ;)....using 4.7k modded mics result in more gain needed from the internal or external preamp.
my figures are based on MM-HLSC-1 cardioids without any MODs used with a 9V battery box.

usually +15db should be a good starter for loud rockshows in big indoor arenas.

in smaller clubs i always start with +20db.

be aware, the analoge gain-stage ends at +24.0 dB, any higher gain is digital and really noisy ;).
that´s why i set my "AGC-max" level to +24.0 dB.=>AGC-max setting can be found by pushing the joystick all the way down several times in recording screen until you see "AGC-max" or similar.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 06:35:36 AM by Arni99 »

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 07:25:16 AM »
thanks, man   :)

thanks for the tip about the 4.7 mod, i do have a pair with it and I didn't even think more gain will be needed   ::) not a problem if you set levels manually, but maybe a problem if you go with the safety-clip.

I was aware about the analoge/digital gain, but I'll set it right now to don't forget it  ;D

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 07:49:27 AM »
usually +15db should be a good starter for loud rockshows in big indoor arenas.

in smaller clubs i always start with +20db.

be aware, the analoge gain-stage ends at +24.0 dB, any higher gain is digital and really noisy ;).
that´s why i set my "AGC-max" level to +24.0 dB.=>AGC-max setting can be found by pushing the joystick all the way down several times in recording screen until you see "AGC-max" or similar.
I never go above +15dB (unless my pre-amp is already at max) because it gets noisy above. So I set my levels conservative enough so that it mostly ends up between 5 and 15

IIUC, AGC-max isn't used in the safety mode because it doesn't increase gain, remember ;)

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 07:55:35 AM »
Can anybody help me out here at all??

I'm a n00b to iriver h120 (previously used Hi-MD). On my MD I used to just set the manual meter to around 24-26/30 going line-in with a 9v battery box.

I don't understand all this talk of db settings. I understand the AGC, it basically stops clipping right? Should I have this on to tape Metal/hard rock bands??

Thanks,
Simon.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 08:02:48 AM »

I'm a n00b to iriver h120 (previously used Hi-MD). On my MD I used to just set the manual meter to around 24-26/30 going line-in with a 9v battery box.

I don't understand all this talk of db settings. I understand the AGC, it basically stops clipping right? Should I have this on to tape Metal/hard rock bands??

Thanks,
Simon.

install rockbox (www.rockbox.org) on your iriver.
yes, use "AGC-safety" only and set levels to +20dB for l+r gain, then start the recording, activate HOLD button and enjoy the show. ;).

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 08:10:14 AM »

Thanks,
Simon.

install rockbox (www.rockbox.org) on your iriver.
yes, use "AGC-safety" only and set levels to +20dB for l+r gain, then start the recording, activate HOLD button and enjoy the show. ;).

Thanks for the reply. I have installed Rockbox already, haven't spent much time as of yet fiddling with settings but I will do soon.

Whats the +20db for l+r gain mean??
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 08:18:17 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I have installed Rockbox already, haven't spent much time as of yet fiddling with settings but I will do soon.

Whats the +20db for l+r gain mean??
It's the gain you can configure in rockbox (in the recording screen). You can set l+r together or each separate (move the cursor up/down and you'll see what I mean). All other stuff is set in the recording settings screen.

Some stuff like settings of the peakmeter can be found in general settings because it also changes the playback peakmeters

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 08:27:46 AM »
Thanks +t
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 03:11:50 PM »
Quote from: petur link=topic=85679.msg#msg date=

IIUC, AGC-max isn't used in the safety mode because it doesn't increase gain, remember ;)

It seems that setting AGC-max affects how much the input can turned up by the user as well.  Seemingly capping input levels at a user selected point.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com