Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: post production? - flac file inside  (Read 2936 times)

Offline danzz1234

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
post production? - flac file inside
« on: September 23, 2007, 01:38:59 PM »
I dont have a clue on how i could possibly make this sound any better.
I've got Cool Edit Pro and I only know how to normalize it  ;D

CA STC-11 >> CA BAT-2B >> H320

I didn't do anything with this file, just cut it from the original big one.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z4cfni

Thanks in advance

Dan

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: post production? - flac file inside
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 08:04:51 PM »
With CEP FFT filter set up as below, restoring lost bass present at the venue, but NOT in the recording because cardioid type mics lack (far-field) bottom and/or mic bass filter used(?). 

Listening to restored bass brings upper mids into balance sounding a lot better to my ears.

Even tried double restoration in same (shown with one pass) section, and while a bit excessive, still  way better than original thin/harsh sound in the recording clip.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 09:35:37 PM »
With CEP FFT filter set up as below, restoring lost bass present at the venue, but NOT in the recording because cardioid type mics lack (far-field) bottom and/or mic bass filter used(?). 

Listening to restored bass brings upper mids into balance sounding a lot better to my ears.

Even tried double restoration in same (shown with one pass) section, and while a bit excessive, still  way better than original thin/harsh sound in the recording clip.

Wow, thanks, sounds nicer indeed.
I didn't use any kind of bass roll-off, the mix was really fucked up, actually the recording came out better than it was in reality (if that's any possible lol).
Should I do that before normalizing?
And what's better: normalizing or amplifying? Or both - at the end - are the same thing?

EDIT: +T (dunno if you care much about your tickets tho  ;))
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 09:37:45 PM by danzz1234 »

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 10:31:20 PM »
It sounds very good. The overall level is low though..

As far as I know, the term "normalize" means to make each track in a group of tracks approximately the same
perceived loudness to the listener. I try to think of increasing the level of a single file as a
gain or volume boost, since "normalizing" a single file, to many software programs, seems to involve
compression and other processes besides the volume boost.

I don't really think of compression as necessarily a bad thing, except most people overdo it in the extreme!
If you're at home, listening on a good playbacksystem, you can
appreciate the dynamic range in the raw source. If you're in a noisy environment, listening in a car, etc. you might
want to compress a copy of your recording for those environments.
For example, I loaded your file into Sound Forge 6, boosted the overall volume,
tamed the extreme highs a bit - those involved in vocal sibalance, cymbals, etc. -
and added a little compression. Most here will say never compress.

http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/k0nz5y

When I first got into taping, I had a Sony 907 single-point stereo mic.  It still gets surprisingly good results, and I
still pull it out from time to time.  It had a nasty hump in the low midrange though, which I always had to EQ for,
not to mention it rolled off below 100HZ and above 15KHZ.

Then, I was using CSB's and sometimes a bass filter.
Either I would get too little bass and have to add some after with EQ, or
too much and I would try to remove some with EQ.

Now I'm using better mics, cardiod, and rarely do anything after recording except maybe djusting levels a bit.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, generally, the better your initial recording, the less you have to mess with it after.
That's a gross generalization of course.

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 10:40:11 PM »

I can't see the .gif image you link to - I'm blind. So can you describe in concrete terms what parameters
you're using? And, generally, what is an FFT Filter?

How would this kind of bass restoration differ from just carefully applying parametric,
paragraphic or graphic EQ?

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 12:04:25 AM »
For example, I loaded your file into Sound Forge 6, boosted the overall volume,
tamed the extreme highs a bit - those involved in vocal sibalance, cymbals, etc. -
and added a little compression. Most here will say never compress.

Hi, thanks for your answer.
The sample sound much better with your settings.
Could you tell me exactly what you did on the sample so I could apply in the whole recording?
As I said I'm not familiar with all those EQ stuff.

Cheers
Dan

EDIT: Oh btw, I can see the gif file without problems: http://www.sonicstudios.com/leninebassrestore.gif

:coolguy:

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 02:47:29 AM »

I can't see the .gif image you link to - I'm blind. So can you describe in concrete terms what parameters
you're using? And, generally, what is an FFT Filter?

How would this kind of bass restoration differ from just carefully applying parametric,
paragraphic or graphic EQ?

It could be best described as 'reverse' of simple 100 cycle high pass 1 pole filter.  Implemented using 3 mid points manually placed in FFT logarithmic, by using 'spline' mode, log scale with ~12 dB maximum boost scale at 20 cycles decreasing to 3 db boost ~100 cycles, and ~8 db boost at 50 cycles, then goes to 0 db for all higher frequencies. 

First/end scale anchor points 12 dB@ 20 Hz/20,000 @ 0 dB.    Mid points (low to high frequencies) are ~40 Hz @ 12dB,  95 @ 0dB, and ~ 2500 @ 0 dB  FFT size set to your precision requirements.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 08:00:22 PM »
It could be best described as 'reverse' of simple 100 cycle high pass 1 pole filter.  Implemented using 3 mid points manually placed in FFT logarithmic, by using 'spline' mode, log scale with ~12 dB maximum boost scale at 20 cycles decreasing to 3 db boost ~100 cycles, and ~8 db boost at 50 cycles, then goes to 0 db for all higher frequencies. 

First/end scale anchor points 12 dB@ 20 Hz/20,000 @ 0 dB.    Mid points (low to high frequencies) are ~40 Hz @ 12dB,  95 @ 0dB, and ~ 2500 @ 0 dB  FFT size set to your precision requirements.

Speak english please  :P

Anyone else?

Thanks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com