Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So I think that I need a preamp  (Read 2374 times)

Offline carbine000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
So I think that I need a preamp
« on: October 14, 2007, 11:37:16 PM »
Sorry if this is somewhere but I couldn't really find exactly what I am looking for and the amount of knowledge here is kind of intimidating:

I have a Sony MD-R700
and
Sony ECM-DS70p http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECM-DS70P-Electret-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B00006HOLL

So, I would like to get a preamp and price is a big concern. Can someone point me in the right direction? Suggestions? I have no idea what I should be looking for or where I should be looking.

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
Re: So I think that I need a preamp
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 11:46:35 PM »
Church Audio.  Send a PM.   :)
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 11:46:40 PM »
With that mic, I think you can use the plug in power from the MD.  Not sure if a preamp would be needed.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline carbine000

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 12:20:04 AM »
From a previous post, someone explained that using the line in would be better than the mic in as you would be able to get less distortion and a wider range so I  thought that line in would be better but dont know if I still need a preamp?

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 01:18:56 AM »
Basically "mic in" supplies power to the microphone, like a preamp would, the problem is that the built ins usually suck horribly.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 02:55:45 AM »
The DS-70P that you plan to use does not record the full range of audible sound. It records roughly 100Hz - 15kHz. The full audible range is roughly 20Hz - 20kHz. As a result your recordings will lack a bit in the low and high end. You can still get a decent sounding recording, but you will notice the difference if you compare it to a recording made with a better mic.

If you are a bit handy with a soldering iron, I would try building the Greenmachine DIY battery box (see the Live Recording section of www.minidisc.org/forums). It will cost only about $10-15US in parts, and will serve to power your mic. If you go DS-70P > DIY BBox > Line In you should be able to get better results than you would with DS-70P> mic in. Make sure you set your levels to manual on the MD and turn AVLS off. Save the money you would have spent on a pre towards a better set of mics.

Good luck and happy taping!
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com