Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: setting recording volume on MD  (Read 3036 times)

Offline dimm0k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
setting recording volume on MD
« on: November 11, 2007, 12:20:43 AM »
I have the Sony MZ-R700, which seems to default to AVLS off and also auto recording volume so I just need to set the recording volume to manual.  After setting it to manual I get the option to change the actual recording volume... now if I'm using CA's preamp in-between the MD and the mics what should I set the recording volume on the MD to?  Its default is in the middle.

Offline attheshow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: setting recording volume on MD
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 03:58:32 AM »
If your volume goes from 1 to 30, as I suspect it does, then I believe you'll want to set it to "18". Which I have heard, is unity gain for MD. If someone knows better, or can confirm this, please jump in.
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

Offline dimm0k

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 10:36:26 AM »
Thanks for the response attheshow.  I've been looking around to find what unity gain for MD is and haven't been successful in regards to regular old MD, but HiMD seems to be 18... can anyone confirm 18 is for older MD as well?

Offline Eigenklang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 11:21:22 AM »
Does the CA amp provide line level? If so, just plug your CD player directly in the line-in of your recorder. Make a sample recording, keep the input setting in mind and listen to the recording. If everything is fine, try to use that setting for your microphone recordings and see how the results are.

Offline dimm0k

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 02:07:56 PM »
I stumbled upon a message where one mentions that setting the MD to unity gain for live recordings is pointless and that you should set it accordingly at the venue...  I was under the assumption that I could set the MD to unity gain and then control the rest through the CA preamp.  Is my assumption best used for when one can't adjust the recording level once inside the venue?

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
Yeah, setting unity gain on the MD takes out one alteration of the signal that is unneeded. Since the MZ-R700 won't let you change levels during a recording (without pausing) you would control your levels with knob on the the Church Audio Pre.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 07:10:36 PM by attheshow »
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

Roving Sign

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 08:48:30 PM »
I stumbled upon a message where one mentions that setting the MD to unity gain for live recordings is pointless and that you should set it accordingly at the venue...

Wrong.

I was under the assumption that I could set the MD to unity gain and then control the rest through the CA preamp.
 Is my assumption best used for when one can't adjust the recording level once inside the venue?

Right.

Offline dimm0k

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 11:20:28 PM »

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 01:07:15 AM »
actually for loud music you donĀ“t need an external preamp as the MD-preamps are among the best in this price-range.
for silent stuff you need a preamp, IF your recorder has line-in only.
if it has mic-in too, use this for silent to moderately loud recordings.

no external preamp=> 1 piece less to hide from securities ;).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 04:02:54 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: setting recording volume on MD - Hi-MD
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 01:45:02 AM »
You can adjust the recording levels of the RH1 on the fly, that is, while recording.  I know this to be a fact.  I own one.  It is quite easy to have it in a pocket and just push the little lever which does the job.  The gauges are bright but not so bright as to attract attention: perfect.

8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline ~sin213~

• Taperssection Regular
  • Kaizoku!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 02:17:26 AM »
I have the Sony MZ-R700, which seems to default to AVLS off and also auto recording volume so I just need to set the recording volume to manual.  After setting it to manual I get the option to change the actual recording volume... now if I'm using CA's preamp in-between the MD and the mics what should I set the recording volume on the MD to?  Its default is in the middle.

Always set mine to about 16-18 with the CA Preamp all the way up depending on how far back I am.  Seems to work well everytime.
#1 - MM-HLSC-1 > MM-MBM > R09
#2 - AT853 > CA9100 3wire Preamp/BattBox > R09

Coachella 06, 07, 08
Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08

Upcoming Shows
9/3 - Ice Cube | 9/8 - The Toadies | 9/22 - Beck |9/23 - My Morning Jacket | 9/27 - Edgefest (Gogol!) | 10/11 - The Bakerton Group | 10/14 - The Roots | 11/28 - Dir en Grey | 11/29 - Soulfly & Cavelera Conspiracy | 12/13 - NIN (Vegas)

Drive Out The Bush Regime!
For more info on how you can get involved, plz visit:
http://www.worldcantwait.net

Offline dimm0k

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 09:38:15 PM »
Arni99: you make a good point about one less thing to hide from security with a preamp...

boojum: definitely looking to get a RH1 when I muster up some funds...

~sin213~: thanks for the confirmation on the recording level.  Because you gave a range rather than a specific number is there certain instances you use one over another?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com