Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

PCM-D50 problems

(1/11) > >>

SClassical:
Just received my Sony PCM-D50 today and tried to feed it with a range of digital signals from my V3 (optical).

When I pre-set the recorder to 24bit it will always show 16bit when I send a signal from my V3...It seems as if it cannot record a 24bit signal from a V3 even though the recorder was pre-set to 24bit.

Also it will ONLY show 44.1kHz and 48kHz.

So the only settings the PCM-D50 show are 16bit 44.1 and 16bit 48kHz via optical with the V3 (nothing else!).

Anyone know what is going on here?

WiFiJeff:
This is exactly what Joe found from high-end A/D, and I found using a Mic2496.  If you record the digital signal, you will see the clock moving way too fast, and the playback will be down an octave or so and slow, so you do record 96kH, the machine just thinks it's 16/48.  When I imported the signal into Audacity as raw data as stereo 24/96 with a 31 bit offset i could recognize the real me-voice.  This sounds much like what the MT II is doing to V3 and other coax digital input, and may be due to a similar bit flag problem.  M-Audio is supposed to fix this in new firmware, I don't know what Sony plans to do.  Joe did record some analog-in to one D50 at 24/96, and then fed this into another D50, and that worked fine, so whatever flag is missing form the V3/Mic2496/etc. the Sony is outputting it.  I seem to recall a similar problem with the Fostex FR-2 or Marantz PMD 671 at high res, they fixed it with a firmware revision.  Fostex and M-Audio do firmware upgrades online, the Marantz hads to be sent in to the service center and I fear the Sony may be the same.

Jeff

SClassical:
I know Joe had a few words with them about this issue...What really p***** me off is that they were too arrogant to admit there's a problem with their D50.

If M-Audio fixes the problem before Sony with a new firmware (which I think they will) I might end up getting the MTII. That is sad :(

Sort of disappointed because the whole reason for me to get the D50 was to record @24/96 with my V3 without complications.   

WiFiJeff:
Okay, well here's some good news on the D50.  I have run it several times now with a normal 8GB pro duo memory stick and it works fine, it runs for 3 hours 53 minutes and makes four files (2GB, 2GB, 2GB and the 1.57GB to media full) with seamless splits.  I intend to use the HG pro duo when it comes out, but it's great that the normal pro duo will run.

Jeff

Jppiano:
Hey, Guys

More than had words with them - I gave them specific information as to what equipment was feeding the machine and pointed out to them that the exact same problem was evident no matter what the source. As Jeff has pointed out, my symptoms are exactly the same as Simon's. I am going to call them after the 1st - meanwhile, I have Prism finding out about the 24 bit flag; I'll keep the group posted....

Joe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version