Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rugged recorder with built in mics <$400?  (Read 3458 times)

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Rugged recorder with built in mics <$400?
« on: January 08, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
Hi all,

A friend of mine is going on a field trip, interviewing native tribes in the jungle.
I'm helping him shop for a recorder.

His requirements:
Total budget <$400 (preferably incl. media and batteries)
Solid state (CF/SD)
AA/AAA batteries (no charging opportunity in the field)
Preferably built-in mics, if they are sensitive enough to record speech. (Willing to compromize for plug-in T-shape mic if necessary)
As rugged as possible, maybe even splashproof (no flimsy plastic battery lid that can break, etc)
Size/weight is not a problem

I'm now contemplating between one of these:
Zoom H2 $200
Zoom H4 $240 on eBay
Edirol R-09, $340 on eBay and BPM Music
Others that fit the bill?

On the verge of being too expensive:
Marantz PMD620, $400
Olympus LS-10 $399 (but not out yet)

I need your opinion on which one is most suitable for this field trip.
The main concerns are ruggedness, and quality/sensitivity of built-in mics.
I also need to find out which devices support large memory cards (4/8/16GB)?

Thanks a lot in advance!

/Jan
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Rugged recorder with built in mics <$400?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 02:31:18 PM »
As rugged as possible, maybe even splashproof (no flimsy plastic battery lid that can break, etc)

This will be the requirement that will kill you!  Certainly, none of them are bullet-proof.  I have a Zoom H2 and a Marantz PMD620 and have looked at the others, with the exception of the Olympus.  I find the Marantz to be the most solid, but that new Olympus is supposed to have an aluminum body.  Have you looked at the new Sony?  A bit higher than your specified price range, but it seems pretty well-built...

Offline colorado_bob

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 02:59:38 PM »

Depending how important splashproof is, as opposed to convenient access to controls, it might be worth looking into something like this case:

http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=i1010

Should be able to connect an external mic through the headphone access and secure it somehow.  I've never actually seen one of these - so I can't say how well it will work.

-Bob

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 02:59:55 PM »
The new Sony D50 is suppose to be built like a tank and may meet most of the other requirements, except price.  It sells for $450 - $500 depending on where you look, sales, etc.

I have the R-09 and it's as light as a Lego toy. I'd hate to see what happens if I ever drop it without it's Bodyglove on.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 05:06:51 PM »
For low cost, and better than R-09 build/improved audio performance, PMD-620 seems the best fit for all-in-one remote location recording deck.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 12:27:51 AM »
Ideally, you should purchase all four recorders: Zoom H2, M-Audio Microtrack II, Edirol R-09 and Marantz PMD620.  It will only take a couple of days to receive the recorders, check them out doing some interview-style recording, and choose a winner.  Buy from a dealer that will give you a few days to evaluate the equipment. For example, Guitar Center will give you a couple of weeks to evaluate a purchase, and offers a full refund if the gear is returned in as-new condition.

No recorder in the under-$400 class is really rugged.  I'd recommend that your friend increase the budget to include backup equipment.  An extra $400 is nothing compared to the cost and time invested in the trip. Keep a spare recorder in a sealed plastic bag, away from dust and water exposure.

Flintstone

Offline Nixoo

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 06:01:07 AM »
I'd say, buy 2 zoom H2's :) If one breaks you have a spare one. Can he afford to be in the middle of nowhere and have no recording device left? Also, I'd spread my riscs over multiple smaller memory cards instead of a couple of bigger ones..
Recorders: Edirol R-09, Zoom H2
Mics: Soundman OKMII Pop, AT853 (4.7k mod), DPA4061, CA11 Cards, CA11 Omi, CA14 Cards
CA-Ugly 2 preamp, SP BB, CA BB
Photo/Video: Panasonic TZ40, Panasonic LX100, Canon 550D

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 08:07:58 PM »
Ideally, you should purchase all four recorders: Zoom H2, M-Audio Microtrack II, Edirol R-09 and Marantz PMD620.  It will only take a couple of days to receive the recorders, check them out doing some interview-style recording, and choose a winner.  Buy from a dealer that will give you a few days to evaluate the equipment. 
No recorder in the under-$400 class is really rugged.  I'd recommend that your friend increase the budget to include backup equipment.  An extra $400 is nothing compared to the cost and time invested in the trip. Keep a spare recorder in a sealed plastic bag, away from dust and water exposure.

I'm on the other side of the pond, so shop returns are slightly more complicated. It'll probably be a mail order-only affair... Not sure where the MT II comes into the picture, I don't think it has any built-in mics, right?

I agree with increasing the budget, but we'll see what's doable. Probably looks like PMD620 is the best option if he's strapped for cash. As an emergency he can throw in an old MD player or smth as a backup.

+T all around for your ideas!

/Jan
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com