Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anyone every try one of these?  (Read 4885 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......

cmoorevt

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: anyone every try one of these?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 05:01:35 PM »
I looked at those once but was turned off by the fact that it only used a single 9volt battery  I wasn't sure how long that would last providing phantom to my Neumanns.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 05:04:52 PM »
i know what you mean.
but, that can be hacked.

cmoorevt

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 05:09:07 PM »
True. I wonder how much space is inside to run a couple of 9v.  It would be interesting to see how they sound. Certainly are small stealthy little devices.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 05:11:52 PM »
no..., it would be a hack involving a cable that would be hard wired to the 9v taps.
then said cable could be plugged into any 9v source.
viola!

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 10:28:41 PM »
I know that TS member mrsoul uses a Beachtek box that also has mic pres.  It's been modified to accept external power too...he uses it with the Avantone CK-1's, and I remember thinking his recordings sounded really good.

Yeah, here's a thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,55071.0.html

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 08:53:46 PM »
Holy Crap - wasn't ready for the video intro - not many tech sites with psychedelic visuals and euro dance music on their product pages  ;)
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 09:19:27 PM »
I'll bet that thing sounds great!  and all the Beachtech product I have played with is built bomb proof too.  I would b careful stealthing with that thing though.  If the meters are anything like the SVU-x you can see them from the next block!
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 11:53:05 AM »
Yes I have used a beachtek, but only with the GL-1, which didn't accept XLR inputs. To be totally honest with you, I'm not sure what to think of the preamps in the thing. I feed the unit a line level signal out of the Deva, the resulting audio on the tape sounded pretty crappy compared to the Deva audio, but I've come to expect that with most cameras. They just aren't designed to handle audio that well, and so the audio track is simply used as the guide track and I have the editor replace the audio with the files I give them direct from the Deva.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline JoelPatrol

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 12:05:57 AM »
D'ya think that using rechargeable batteries would affect performance in any way?

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 05:42:44 AM »
D'ya think that using rechargeable batteries would affect performance in any way?

I'm a huge fan of rechargeable batteries, in some cases they work better (wireless gear), but a lot of it depends on what the manufacturer sets up their equipment's power range to be. Several of the Beachtek devices don't require power because they want a line input level. On some of the Beachtek models, they use 9v batteries. These are probably the easiest and best type of rechargeable batteries because they come in a range of voltages from 9v to 9.6v, which can be helpful for long term use. I tend to use 9.6v batteries in my Lectro receivers because they last 4 to 5 hours. Typical Duracell 9v will only give me 3-4, and then I have to toss them.

The only negative affect I can think of soundwise would be if a device required 3v (2-AA) and you fed it 2.4 v instead (2-AA rechargeables), and the device really needs 3v. In that case you might have sound issues depending on the design of the unit because typically there is both a 5v and 3v internal voltage. If they are using the incoming voltage as their 3v source and you're not supplying enough voltage this could cause sound related issues since the device wouldn't be supplying the ICs with the proper voltage. But usually this isn't a problem with 9v batteries.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 09:37:54 AM »

Some rechargable batteries have power regulators which provide a constant voltage (mostly lithium bats) but may also introduce noise.  Some gear may be sensitive to that noise.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 08:35:19 PM »
http://www.beachtek.com/prod.html

http://www.beachtek.com/dxa6a_inside.html  *transformer based
http://www.beachtek.com/dxa6vu_inside.html  has VU meters...and transformers too.
http://www.beachtek.com/dxa2s_inside.html

I'd thoroughy recommend the Sound Devices MixPre. It's the only device of its kind I purchased and thought it was perfect. Perfect features, design (well almost, the LEDs are too bright on the dullest setting and some of the switches are hard to get at in a rush) and performance.  It's also the only thing of its kind that I think is worth evey cent you pay for it.

As for power, uses 2 x AA, but has a power-in plug so you can build/supply your own external supply.

digifish
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 08:40:11 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 09:01:56 PM »
its a good product.  SD doesn't make anything that sucks.

I think its a little dry for me.  maybe just transparent.  I like my preamps to have flavor..depending on the mics.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 10:19:47 PM »
its a good product.  SD doesn't make anything that sucks.

I think its a little dry for me.  maybe just transparent.  I like my preamps to have flavor..depending on the mics.

I'd be adding colour in post production. I like my recordings as neutral/dry as I can get. You can always add spices to the food, but getting them out again is another matter :)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com