Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mix-Pre 3/6 USB Batteries (what works and what doesn't)  (Read 107175 times)

Offline dynamicalories

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Mix-Pre 3/6 USB Batteries (what works and what doesn't)
« Reply #195 on: July 24, 2018, 12:50:25 PM »
Maybe I was mistaken about getting a green light with that battery. I'll double check.

From their site, though, it seems like operating in Low Power Mode is fine for my use, which is generally recording 4-channels with 2 phantom powered mics and a board feed. I don't use HDMI or USB A ports at all when recording. I assume there's no harm done to the unit by running in Low Power Mode?

To fully power the MixPre-3 or MixPre-6 from a USB power source not listed above, you will need BOTH of the following:

USB-C power source that is compliant with the USB powering specification and is able to output 7.5W
    USB-C cable that incorporates the correct pull-up resistors to identify itself as able to provide 7.5W

If either of these conditions are not met, the MixPre recorder will operate in low power mode: maximum 2x 48v phantom channels, no HDMI, no USB-A. You can still use all of the MixPre’s channels, but only a maximum of 2 can be phantom powered.

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
« Reply #196 on: July 24, 2018, 12:51:26 PM »
No reason not to use low power mode if it works for you.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2018, 03:12:34 PM »
if anyone needs a tank for festivals etc I just put one in the yard sale

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=187313.0
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #198 on: July 26, 2018, 03:32:12 PM »
I get full power (green bar) with this battery:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KYUDAN4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GMZP2I6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with my MixPre-6.

The battery and cable are color coordinated too. :)
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #199 on: July 26, 2018, 03:41:18 PM »
I have the same battery and a white one.  Over 8 hours on each.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #200 on: July 26, 2018, 04:03:00 PM »
Three white ones for me and they are my go to power for this recorder.

Offline dynamicalories

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #201 on: July 26, 2018, 09:19:59 PM »
That's a pretty compelling battery for $20 compared to the Anker. I'm in for one.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #202 on: June 19, 2019, 08:22:28 AM »
I recently picked up an Anker PowerCore 10000 PD for my MixPre-6. It provides full power to the recorder (green light) and is considerably lighter and more compact than the PowerCore+ 20100 Sound Devices recommends (6.7 ounces, 4.49 x 2.05 x 0.98 in versus 1 lb, 7.24 x 2.44 x 0.94 in, according to Amazon).

I got it the day before Mule in Brussels and didn't have an opportunity to charge it before the show. When I powered up, two of four lights came on, but one of those went out on pretty short order. About midway through the second set, the last light started blinking. During the last track before the encore, I pulled it and the transition to the AA sled was seamless. I've recorded a couple of other shows since and all four lights were still lit at the end, the maximum was probably about 2.5 - 2.75 hours of run-time with two mics on phantom. I am pretty sure it would give me 8 or 9 hours on a full charge.

Now, I need to find those posts where people were recommending right-angle USB-C cables...

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #203 on: June 19, 2019, 04:09:20 PM »
Why risk it though? It not *that* much bigger/heavier to use the 20k or 27k mah batteries, plus you can have all day confidence.

The 26,800 mah batteries are on sale again. Good price with nice quick charger.

https://amzn.to/2XpOYtM
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #204 on: June 19, 2019, 06:04:46 PM »
^ Risk? What risk? I have been running Eneloop Pros in the eight battery sled for nearly two years with no issues. After I saw Sebastian's post, I figured a redundant power source might be a good idea. It was clear from the specs on the PowerCore 100000 PD that it would work and it does. I don't think I ever ran the AAs past the halfway point, so I have ample power with the Anker.

As for weight and size, I guess it depends on what *that* means. I almost always go to shows via train, usually with trams, buses and long walks on one end or both, and coupled with a hotel stay. So I need an overnight bag, plus my gear. To me, every pound actually counts and the larger Ankers don't even fit in the battery compartment in my Petrol.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #205 on: June 20, 2019, 12:30:27 AM »
was doing a battery test on mixpre (4ch phantom, 96K), it ran for 10 hours on a 20100 mAh Jackery battery (still had 1 out of 4 lights when i pulled it, might have had a little more.

thats more than ive ever recorded in a single day, i think a 10000 mAh would be more than fine for my needs since id always be running a battery sled in case of usb cable issues 
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2019, 08:25:54 PM »
Anker Powercore PD 10000 mAH USB-C battery

EDIT:
has 4 lights to indicate battery level, running mixpre6 with 6 inputs and 4 channels of phantom:
4/4 lights lit: 2 hrs
3/4 lights: ~+1:15
2/4 lights: ~+1:15
1/4 lights: ~+1:00

so a safe 4-4.5 hours with that little guy at max load, prob quite a bit more w/o phantom
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 07:18:44 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2019, 06:51:59 AM »
Perhaps this has been answered before...

Question regarding the dual Sony L-series sled: does the sled draw equally? Or is it a hot-swap option?

If memory serves from the SLA days wiring batteries In series meant more run-time.

Just trying to figure if rotating batts on li-on chemistry is due diligence....

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2019, 10:50:18 AM »
i would guess it was designed for hot swap as it would be practically impossible for two indpendent packs to have the same voltage unless they were internally regulated

i cant remember the runtime for the L-batts but i do remember it being very long. long enough that 2 would get you thru a long day

doesnt mean you cant stagger them

all batteries last longer when discharged slowly (i.e parallel), regardless of chemistry

Perhaps this has been answered before...

Question regarding the dual Sony L-series sled: does the sled draw equally? Or is it a hot-swap option?

If memory serves from the SLA days wiring batteries In series meant more run-time.

Just trying to figure if rotating batts on li-on chemistry is due diligence....

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
DC to USB-C PD power option for MixPre 3/6
« Reply #209 on: August 18, 2019, 06:13:20 AM »
I wanted to explore some of the popular DC to USB-C PD power converters that have begun to appeared this year.

It's a DC voltage to to USB-C PD compliant converter. There are many input connector option for them but I opted for the DC 5.5/2.5 model.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32946474518.html
It's recommended input voltage is 20V. And a max input of 22 volt.
Thats a bit annoying as packs of 4 li-ion cells might not be enough and 6 cells are too much. So DIY packs of 5 cells would be needed.

Anyway, I powered it from an external power pack using 4x18650 Li-ion pack with 14,8V output I can charge my Pixel 2 and a lot of other USB-C devices without a problem.
I then hooked it up to my MixPre-6 over USB-C and it booted perfectly. But shortly after warned me that the power source was not enough and wanted to switch to 4xAA-pack.
So I connected the converter to 20V DC power instead and that gave it enough headroom to supply the MixPre-6 with enough USB-C PD to make it happy.

The plastic case comes appart easy using the nails and the internals reveals a Chinese USB-C PD chip:

Manufacturer: Injoinic Corp
Chip: SOC IC--IP6527
http://www.sz-dowell.com/static/upload/ueditor/file/20181218/1545115664843095471.pdf

The chip specs states:
Input operating voltage range: 8.2V to 32V
VIN VIN=12V, VOUT=5V/3A, board end conversion efficiency 96.5%

But this did not appeared to be liked by the MixPre anyway. Or due to the way of the implementation of the chip in the converter.
I'll do some more tests but not using the Mixer as a guinea pig. :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.226 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com