Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)  (Read 103224 times)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)
« Reply #315 on: December 04, 2016, 10:53:40 PM »

Isn't the Hard Left/Right PANNING only effective when you're in Stereo/2Mix mode?

Yes, except with the panning being adjustable in 2MIX it no longer has to be a "hard" pan; set it as you like.

Personally, I still can't understand why anyone would want to record an on-the-fly stereo mixdown (2MIX) unless you're also able to do separate ISO tracks as in the high end pro recorders.  I'd consider such a mix a scratch mix only.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #316 on: December 05, 2016, 11:48:26 AM »
I just wish you could choose which stereo pair (1/2 or 3/4) would be sent to the aux and headphone outs. If you could do that, you could have full 4 channel analogue out on two 1/8 inch jacks.

As it is, you can't give a good patch (or run a backup) when running 4 channels. For me, a 50/50 mix of whatever 2 Schoeps pairs I'm using (usually mk41v & mk22) is going to be inferior to both.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #317 on: December 05, 2016, 01:22:56 PM »
I just wish you could choose which stereo pair (1/2 or 3/4) would be sent to the aux and headphone outs. If you could do that, you could have full 4 channel analogue out on two 1/8 inch jacks.

As it is, you can't give a good patch (or run a backup) when running 4 channels. For me, a 50/50 mix of whatever 2 Schoeps pairs I'm using (usually mk41v & mk22) is going to be inferior to both.

Exactly. And what grinds my gears is the fact that you can select exactly what you want to output on the DR60. Makes no sense
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #318 on: December 05, 2016, 07:59:14 PM »
^^ ^ Agreed to all of that; the mixing features on it are not really useful.  One of many things that could be fixed by a simple firmware update.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #319 on: December 06, 2016, 11:28:12 AM »
^^ ^ Agreed to all of that; the mixing features on it are not really useful.  One of many things that could be fixed by a simple firmware update.

And I do believe that several of us have reached out to Tascam about this. It really does confuse me as to why they would have shipped this deck like this in the 1st place. To me, it's a step up from the 60; one would think that based on their target consumer that this would have been a no-brainer. I much prefer running the 70 as apposed to the 60. Except for this because I like to send an output to a camcorder.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline deleuze3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #320 on: December 08, 2016, 08:15:51 AM »
I have a question to have the best sound possible.
Here is my settings.

I plug the tascam dr 70 in my camera Canon T3i. The canon t3i has the audio volume 1 dot above "0". (the magic lantern is "0dB digital and 0db analogic")

I plug the condenser microphone (ATM41HE) into the tascam.
On the tascam, i set it to "MONITOR SEL : MIX"
The OUTPUT LEVEL +12dB
the OUTPUT GAIN is set to CAM.
i use the HIGH gain.
i record at BWF 24bits, 48khz.

On the t3i, the audio levels are about -12dB
On the tascam, the audio levels are about -16db

On another forum, they told me that if i crank the output level to +12dB (the max) and i don't have a loud enough volume, i should use the "LINE" instead of the "CAM" and use a SESCOM attenuator of -25dB.

1) Are my magic lantern settings are ok ?
2) does the output gain to "cam" can do a good job too or should i buy a sescom cable ? (i've heard that on "line", the noise floor is -75db, and on cam the noise floor is at -55dB?, so it gives more latitude in post if it's on "line")
3) when i crank up the output level all the way to +12db, do i lose quality in the process ? Should i crank up the knob instead ?

Thanks in advance,
have a good day.

Offline deleuze3

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #321 on: December 13, 2016, 06:48:17 AM »
Is the forum still active, alive and well ?
Have a good day

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #322 on: December 13, 2016, 01:26:16 PM »
Is the forum still active, alive and well ?
Have a good day

Yes - but you'll find the vast majority of us are "audio-only" guys...hence that lack of feedback on your question.

And - it sounds more like a camera question than a recorder.

For the best sound - record on the DR-70 - and replace your camera sound with the DR-70 tracks in post-production...seems like thats the whole idea of this recorder...otherwise - just get a mixer.

Offline deleuze3

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #323 on: December 14, 2016, 10:35:05 AM »
thanks for the reply, "life in rewind".

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #324 on: December 14, 2016, 04:08:41 PM »
I have a question to have the best sound possible.
Here is my settings.

I plug the tascam dr 70 in my camera Canon T3i. The canon t3i has the audio volume 1 dot above "0". (the magic lantern is "0dB digital and 0db analogic")

I plug the condenser microphone (ATM41HE) into the tascam.
On the tascam, i set it to "MONITOR SEL : MIX"
The OUTPUT LEVEL +12dB
the OUTPUT GAIN is set to CAM.
i use the HIGH gain.
i record at BWF 24bits, 48khz.

On the t3i, the audio levels are about -12dB
On the tascam, the audio levels are about -16db

On another forum, they told me that if i crank the output level to +12dB (the max) and i don't have a loud enough volume, i should use the "LINE" instead of the "CAM" and use a SESCOM attenuator of -25dB.

1) Are my magic lantern settings are ok ?
2) does the output gain to "cam" can do a good job too or should i buy a sescom cable ? (i've heard that on "line", the noise floor is -75db, and on cam the noise floor is at -55dB?, so it gives more latitude in post if it's on "line")
3) when i crank up the output level all the way to +12db, do i lose quality in the process ? Should i crank up the knob instead ?

Thanks in advance,
have a good day.

I can't answer your questions directly about the DR70d since I've never used one but I can make a suggestion to maybe switch to the DR60d. It has adjustable camera and line outputs (both with a physical recessed knob) and works like a charm when paired with either my Nikon DSLR or my Canon video camera. I get usable good quality audio on my video tracks and don't have to worry about adding separate audio in post.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline deleuze3

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #325 on: December 14, 2016, 05:10:59 PM »
thanks goodcooker for your answer.

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #326 on: December 14, 2016, 05:13:44 PM »
Please help,

After almost 2 years with no problems at all using the Dr70D, 2 track or 4 track with external mics in several situations, field recording, concerts, recording for CD release, etc, with a brief stop of 2 weeks, otherwise the recorder is always working.
I had a project of field recordings and preparing the equipment, I turn on the recorder with my usual XY setup (2 oktavas mouted on a rode zeeplin), I noticed that even with 48v phantom power engaged, I had no monitoring, checked the settings, check the cables, changed them, nothing, tested the built-in mics and still nothing, changed the card, checked the firmware, and no arming of tracks or even monitoring from externals or bulit-in mics...

Didn't had any problems with it, no physical damage, no drops, nothing that could prompt this...  one morning, after turned on, just didn´t feel like working...

Anyone had similar problem? I really like the recorder, its clean and honest, but its quite frustrating, had several audio recorders, and none showed this kind of behaviour, even the brands that some people always say they're crap, like the Zoom´s.
Its quite incredible something like this happen, had a DAP-1 for more that a decade, and always ready for work... but these is just plain nonsense... factory reset? It turns on, and everything looks alright, but no monitoring, no rec track arming,

Anyone? similar context? Plaese help

thanks in advance,
Carlos Santos
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), DIY Primo 172 48v matched stereo, Sony ECM 55B (Lav), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rode Blimp II, sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7

Offline iamhammered

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #327 on: December 15, 2016, 01:45:28 AM »
NEW CONFIRMED SD CARD THAT WORKS FLAWLESS

http://www.microcenter.com/product/447223/32GB_SDHC_Class_6_Flash_Memory_Card

I took mine out for 2 test drives and ZERO problems! I know its only 32GB but even still for $5.99.  I will be stocking up!

Peace
T

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #328 on: December 15, 2016, 08:55:08 AM »

I took mine out for 2 test drives and ZERO problems! I know its only 32GB but even still for $5.99.  I will be stocking up!

Peace
T

Lots of people have had cards that worked fine and then all of a sudden not so much.

Confirmed means tested and confirmed by Tascam and placed on the list - not anecdotal usage in the field.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline iamhammered

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #329 on: December 15, 2016, 12:15:52 PM »
I was just sharing some info. Did you get burned? If so I want to hear about it.

Peace
T

Lots of people have had cards that worked fine and then all of a sudden not so much.

Confirmed means tested and confirmed by Tascam and placed on the list - not anecdotal usage in the field.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com