Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA "Microphone Dictionary"  (Read 5095 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
DPA "Microphone Dictionary"
« on: June 11, 2020, 10:09:58 AM »
new site they said they are looking for feedback

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-dictionary
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: DPA "Microphone Dictionary"
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 11:38:35 AM »
Yeah, I saw that also. I like how it links to a Mic University article, if one exists. This has the potential to evolve into something quite useful!

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 12:33:05 PM »
Cool site. Thanks for the link.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 08:20:19 AM »
Now they just need to figure out how to keep the onboard preamp from fizzing out, and, ruining the mics. Work on that, instead of making a fancy web page.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 08:34:34 AM »
never heard of this. deetz?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

mfrench

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 09:34:12 AM »
I've had, in all likeliness, well over a hundred grand in failed mics ($150K+?).  This goes back to the later 80's when the 4011's first came out; failed onboard preamp.
I gave them another chance with the compact series; all fails.
I even went with the mini series; failure.

4022's,... probably went through a minimum of 4 pairs.
4028's; multiple failed pairs.
Finally, Ole Brumstead Sorenson, B&K CEO, stopped production of the compacts, and, investigated.  A suggestion was made that a thrid party outside contractor put too thick of a chrome coating on the backplate of the mic, and the capsule would contact it, and short out the preamp. Not long after, they stopped production of the 402x series.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 09:53:47 AM »
they discontinued the 402x in 2010 or so, but they had been DPA for 15 years or so at that point

were all the failures from B&K branded gear?

seems like its a known issue that was fixed since the modular series arrived in 2011, at least?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 09:59:45 AM »
From the "C" section:

Clean Sound

Atmospheric sound.

Coloration

Non-uniformity in off-axis frequency responses resulting in a distortion of the tonal quality of the source.

Content 0

Material or essence used for distribution by an operator.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 10:52:55 AM »
obviously a work in progress lol

mfrench

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 11:25:11 AM »
they discontinued the 402x in 2010 or so, but they had been DPA for 15 years or so at that point

were all the failures from B&K branded gear?

seems like its a known issue that was fixed since the modular series arrived in 2011, at least?

Well, both labels, B&K and DPA, actually. But they are the same manufacturer. It becomes a difference in the marketing end, regarding whether it is for a retail sale (DPA), or, commercial measurement device (B&K).
I'm not entirely familiar with the timeline anymore. My issues arose mostly in the 2001->2010 period, but, do reach back to 1989, when they first released the 4011, as B&K.  That early 4011 pair failed in the same way that every other pair that I've worked with have failed. You get scratchy static, and then a 6dB drop in output, along with spiking of the signal. If you try to correct for the level drop, you bring up all of the junk that the failure presents in the signal chain.
I became quite close with Bruce Myers during that time.  He treated me like their finest customer.  They were absolutely top notch in the way that they handled each situation. But, ultimately, I could not reckon with having such an investment, that I could not trust.
Since that time, I've been entirely thrilled with my Line Audio CM3 sub-card pair, which, I feel, are equivalent to DPA, and, at something like $3.5k+ less

edit: really big fingers.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 11:41:25 AM »
what was Bruce's take on the QC issues?

he was always a straight shooter, now DPA support is a black hole in many cases

Offline lerond

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 03:16:09 PM »
As counterpoint to Moke's anecdotal complaint, I bought a pair of 4023's in 2001, and used them for 100-250 nights per year without incident until the COVID-19 pandemic shut down live music.

Figured the shutdown was a good time to get them checked out; contacted DPA USA in Colorado for an RMA, and sent them in.
~2 weeks later they sent back word that mics were fine, and still working in spec.
Rather than taking them back, I opted to have them sent to Denmark to be reconfigured to use the new modular connectors.
Took about a month; looks like they sent back a different set of brand new, matched 4011X capsules (different S/N than what I sent in).

Looking forward to getting out and testing them in the wild sometime before the end of the year...
ain't no party like a katydid party
jumpin' and a hoppin' and singin' them songs!

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 03:37:49 PM »
As counterpoint to Moke's anecdotal complaint, I bought a pair of 4023's in 2001, and used them for 100-250 nights per year without incident until the COVID-19 pandemic shut down live music.

Figured the shutdown was a good time to get them checked out; contacted DPA USA in Colorado for an RMA, and sent them in.
~2 weeks later they sent back word that mics were fine, and still working in spec.
Rather than taking them back, I opted to have them sent to Denmark to be reconfigured to use the new modular connectors.
Took about a month; looks like they sent back a different set of brand new, matched 4011X capsules (different S/N than what I sent in).

Looking forward to getting out and testing them in the wild sometime before the end of the year...

they gave mine a new SN as well, but it should be the same capsule. im guessing they just have a huge stack of the bottom capsule rings with serial numbers they pull off of.

did you pay to upgrade to new housings or are your caps unmarked  (new modular capsules have the 4011 and cardioid symbol). Unmarked caps would be typical of the 402x, which were marked with model numbers, but down lower on the part that is discarded when the capsule was upgraded

hopefully they didnt double tax you for the testing and then the upgrade. their fee to test a mic is about the same price as the upgrade ($145 vs $185), and the latter includes the test and new cert.

I wasnt aware they had the ability to do any tests of the SDCs in longmont, i was told everything goes to denmark for testing as well as benchwork
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 03:40:09 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline lerond

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2020, 05:01:53 PM »
I can't say if the capsules were reused ... but if they tested OK, why not?

What I got back lacks the cardioid symbol (like you say, that was on the now-discarded bottom portion), but as one of the top covers on my old set was slightly scuffed up and neither of the new ones look the same as the reference pics I have, it's hard to know for sure. I suppose they might have polished or replaced that piece too.

Emails from Longmont in April state "We have recieved your items. We will test, diagnose and email a repair quote within 5 business days" ... and then a few days later, "Your items have been tested. See the attached diagnosis/repair quote", which gave $154/capsule as the fee to update them to modular. Maybe the price difference reflects a change between Euro/USD conversion?

The attachment didn't include any measurements, so maybe the "diagnosis" is limited to a very basic operations test ("yup, they work")?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 05:15:41 PM by lerond »
ain't no party like a katydid party
jumpin' and a hoppin' and singin' them songs!

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 05:48:23 PM »
I can't say if the capsules were reused ... but if they tested OK, why not?

What I got back lacks the cardioid symbol (like you say, that was on the now-discarded bottom portion), but as one of the top covers on my old set was slightly scuffed up and neither of the new ones look the same as the reference pics I have, it's hard to know for sure. I suppose they might have polished or replaced that piece too.

Emails from Longmont in April state "We have recieved your items. We will test, diagnose and email a repair quote within 5 business days" ... and then a few days later, "Your items have been tested. See the attached diagnosis/repair quote", which gave $154/capsule as the fee to update them to modular. Maybe the price difference reflects a change between Euro/USD conversion?

The attachment didn't include any measurements, so maybe the "diagnosis" is limited to a very basic operations test ("yup, they work")?

mine was $185 last year. the capsule came with a new test card. seems like they changed a couple things.

as of april my communique was:
me:Is there a standard fee to evaluate and test the capsules

DPA:Denmark has a much high bench fee than we do. There runs at $143.75 per unit.

me:So that’s just a standard bench rate for you to evaluate a capsule and test it to spec and generate new test paperwork. Is there any other standard maintenance they should have like periodic disassembling and cleaning or something like that?

DPA:That is Denmark’s bench fee, yes. Some people like to send them in every 5 – 10 years to have them checked up, but if they are not preforming out of the norm I would not see a need to.It’s pretty rare they go out without some user error or something field related.

as far as not having them marked if they are your only caps its no big deal, if you have others its nice to have them marked

i used a cardioid label that came with another product, maybe it was the 4018 vocal mics. a little 1/4"ish round sticker that was perfect. looks factory at a casual glance, ill see if i have any more, if not ill bet longmont does

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 05:52:15 PM by jerryfreak »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com