Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rendering a 24 bit and 16 bit source together...  (Read 2321 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Rendering a 24 bit and 16 bit source together...
« on: February 04, 2015, 12:54:44 PM »
If I render 4 tracks, two being 24 bit and two being 16 bit, down to a 16 bit stereo file, it'll turn out fine, correct?

I ran mics in the sweet spot and just got a board feed on USB after the set and now in post mistakenly forgot to convert the 24 bit track to 16 bit before mixing the two sources together.  They're both the same sample rate luckily.  I've got a slow computer and just don't want to take the time to go back, render the 24 bit file to 16 bit, re-import it to Audacity, line it at the beginning, shrink the file, and render to a stereo track all over again.  I'm hoping I'll be fine as is, but just wanted to check over here to see if there are any technical issues with doing what I did.

Also, in Audacity it seems to bump the 16 bit file up to 24 bit automatically, while bumping the 24 bit up to 32 bit float.  So not sure how that all effects it.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Rendering a 24 bit and 16 bit source together...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 10:13:41 PM »
Use the widest-range/highest-rez/biggest-number sources or whatever you care to call them to mix from, and funnel down the result for final distribution. 

Most DAW software will easily accommodate files of differing bit depth without additional conversion, typically doing their calculations at 32-bit float, so 24 and 16 bit files fit comfortably within that calculation range without any need for you to do anything to them first.

Most new DAW software can also accommodate files of differing sample rates or even encoding formats, but those things take more computer overhead to convert on the fly.  How much that matters is subject to debate I'm sure, but mixing 16 bit WAVs with 24bit WAVs is no stress.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 12:49:25 AM »
Okay, cool, thanks for the reassurance.  I do edit as much as possible in the sample rate/bit depth the files were originally recorded in as much as possible, but with two differing bit depths thought using the closest common denominator without upscaling anything would be the way to go.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 01:08:33 PM »
In that case I'd start by loading the 24bit file, then add the 16 bit file and let it pad it out the additional 8bits of the second with zeros.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com