Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tentacle Track E - 1CH of 32 bit FP recording  (Read 17901 times)

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
Re: Tentacle Track E - 1CH of 32 bit FP recording
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2020, 02:29:56 AM »
^ Personally, I don't really need a safety track. I am a pretty good judge of where to set my levels and 24-bit allows you to be pretty conservative. I would love a stereo version of this recorder, though, with its variable plug-in power. An 1/8" locking male to two microdot female Y-cable and a pair of 4060s with that would be awesome...

If you're using this a bodypack recorder (and it looks like it would blow past any competition! Superior to the Tascam, and priced way way waaaaay under the Zaxcom / Lectrosonics products. Although... the new Deity TRX would now be tough competition for it!) then having a safety track mode would be fantastic.

If that 1/8" stereo input could handle line level so you could use an external preamp or phantom box for full-size mics, it really would be a Lectro SPDR killer, as someone else mentioned.

Regarding safety tracks:
<snip>
In other words, there is zero reason I can see to have something like the Track E record in anything but 32-bit FP.

Line level would indeed be a FANTASTIC option, perfect as a mini back up recorder I can feed a mix from my main recorder, light enough to even use for run&gun bag days.

However, is something else than 32bit needed? ABSOLUTELY! Too many productions have and expect a 24bit workflow. You can try fighting that if you wish at your own peril, but you likely have better battles to pitch your tent at, especially if you're just a day player. Is why I'd take a 24 bit "safety track" approach over 32bits in most scenarios for myself.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 02:34:58 AM by IronFilm »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2020, 03:10:47 AM »
thanks IronFilm! few of us are in your field we probably wouldnt have seen those

both those products look interesting
the existing HD-TX (https://www.deitymic.com/hdtx/) is a good alternative to the tentacle at a similar price
pro tentacle: 5V PIP and 32-bit float
pro deity: 48V phantom and optional TX if needed

walkthough of HD-TX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOpR1RLr5Eg
doesnt look like you can adjust levels once you start recording :(

as for the newly announced BP-TRX, its almost got the features of the lectrosonics SPDR for our purposes, though it would need a battery box to power most mics (not like the SPDR is all that on mic powering, but it can barely power CMRs and DPA 406x (both at higher noise than if they were properly powered). And of course the spdif input of SPDR is useless since it resamples everything
for $250 it looks pretty solid for a basic 2-channel recorder, with a ton of features we sont need but still cool to see bascially a universal SOC computer that can do so much
https://www.deitymic.com/bp-trx/

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 04:47:10 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2020, 09:17:14 AM »
If you're using this a bodypack recorder (and it looks like it would blow past any competition! Superior to the Tascam, and priced way way waaaaay under the Zaxcom / Lectrosonics products. Although... the new Deity TRX would now be tough competition for it!) then having a safety track mode would be fantastic.

Except I am not (or wouldn't be, anyway). Like most people here, I record live music. Given the choice of "stereo OR safety track", I would choose stereo a million times over. I guess "stereo AND safety track" would be cool, though.

Too many productions have and expect a 24bit workflow. You can try fighting that if you wish at your own peril, but you likely have better battles to pitch your tent at, especially if you're just a day player. Is why I'd take a 24 bit "safety track" approach over 32bits in most scenarios for myself.

People here are mostly their own "production". A lot seem to like 32-bit and, since they are controlling the whole process from start to finish, nobody is expecting a 24-bit workflow from them.

Tapers (for the most part) aren't doing sound for film. It'll seep in one of these days...

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2020, 12:59:31 PM »

Except I am not (or wouldn't be, anyway). Like most people here, I record live music. Given the choice of "stereo OR safety track", I would choose stereo a million times over. I guess "stereo AND safety track" would be cool, though.

Too many productions have and expect a 24bit workflow. You can try fighting that if you wish at your own peril, but you likely have better battles to pitch your tent at, especially if you're just a day player. Is why I'd take a 24 bit "safety track" approach over 32bits in most scenarios for myself.

People here are mostly their own "production". A lot seem to like 32-bit and, since they are controlling the whole process from start to finish, nobody is expecting a 24-bit workflow from them.

Tapers (for the most part) aren't doing sound for film. It'll seep in one of these days...

I honestly wasn't thinking about a film/TV set workflow, so that makes sense why 24-bit is heavily favored.  Maybe that will change in the future; who knows?

I was thinking from the perspective aaronj laid out.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2020, 04:45:40 PM »

if taping ever became my job id probably find a way to hate it
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2020, 05:48:34 AM »
I reached out to Deity support with our usual wishlist for a 2-ch recorder (proper PIP voltage, spdif in, 32 bit float, BT remote, etc)

will be interesting to see if they have any desire to accomodate our niche market. even simply adding spdif input to a recorder of that size/price point would be a huge win
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 05:50:15 AM by jerryfreak »

Offline Niels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2020, 09:12:02 AM »
Are there any handheld recorders out there with “proper PID voltage”?
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2020, 02:22:05 PM »
tentacle claims it will offer proper 5V

lectrosonics servo input manages 4V but my 4061s were decidedly noisier when used with it, relative to my d:vice

most lavs work fine with 3v pip for dialogue and other moderate spl sources
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 02:23:50 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2020, 06:55:57 PM »

The Marantz PMD620 provides ~ 5V plug-in power. Someone here measured it as slightly lower at some point (maybe 4.6V; sorry I don't remember exactly), but several tapers reported no problems powering DPA 4060/1s, which are pretty demanding. I have used that recorder with Sennheiser MKE2s many times with only one issue, which was a WAY louder than expected segment of a show. I might have been OK if I had the opportunity to turn the gain down a bit...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2020, 07:06:56 PM »
from what DPA has told me bias voltage is 2.75V

so PIP circuits should have in excess of this voltage when mics are plugged in

there are other factors (like adequate current primarily), but if your PIP is 2.3-2.7V like many handhelds with mics plugged in, its virtually assured that they will distort at some SPL less than the max under normal powering

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2020, 09:51:35 AM »

The Marantz PMD620 provides ~ 5V plug-in power. Someone here measured it as slightly lower at some point maybe 4.6V
I measured the PMD620 at 4.85V. Powered the DPA 4061 just fine.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2020, 02:27:23 PM »
4.85 w/mics attached?

i can measure my pmd661 (though i consider it a brick not a handheld)

i imagine with some varying resistance you could accurately determine the max current the input is set to provide ( by determining resistance, ie. 5V over 10k ohms, etc.)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2020, 07:36:18 PM »

I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that the 1/8" input on the PMD661 is line only, with no plug-in power.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2020, 07:37:45 PM »
I measured the PMD620 at 4.85V. Powered the DPA 4061 just fine.

Thanks! I did search for this, but I couldn't find the earlier posts...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2020, 07:47:28 PM »

I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that the 1/8" input on the PMD661 is line only, with no plug-in power.

well i guess ill have to measure my tascam brick lol

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com