Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tascam HS-P82  (Read 47219 times)

tomuo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: tascam HS-P82
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2013, 03:01:40 PM »
I've duplicated this problem.   While testing it, I did a combination of recording a dummy file, doing a retake (to delete it) and mounting it via USB.
One of those steps clears the problem and now I'm getting the mirrored files in the expected directories.
I'll try to get a better set of work-around steps written up.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2013, 03:21:22 PM »
Thanks for at least tinkering with it. I've been busy with deliverables the last couple days so I haven't had a chance to sit down myself.

edit: it's something in the mirroring. I pulled the other card tonight while doing tests and it has the current project and structure, but the file names match the mirror (which didn't have the right structure and wanted to merge projects).

It almost looks like you need to create the duplicate project on both first and not just one and let it force the other... dunno. More testing needed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:25:00 PM by page »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2013, 12:53:28 PM »
Yep, now that I got the spare card back from my partner in crime, I was able to recreate it on the first try:

1) have a project existing on CF2.
2) create new project on CF1.
3) verify under the info screen that the new project is selected.
4) record a few seconds, then stop
5) switch the view to CF2.
6) open the project viewer. No new project, but your files/scenes are all in the old project.

Note: I'm using the same framerate/sampling settings on old/new projects. Haven't tested a mix.

So unless tascam issues a firmware fix, the work around is create the same project on both cards, or format the cards for every new project.

Edit; plot twist. Formatted CF2, created a new project on CF1 (so it now has multiple projects). When I made that new project, it did create a new one on the mirrored card, but it used the project structure from a project I didnt create. E.g. had project AAAA already on one card. Formatted the second card, created project BBBB on first card, check card2, only project AAAA exists.

Edit2: yeah, i dumps the mirrored stuff in whatever the last used project directory is for a card if it cant find the project you just created on the primary card.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:17:12 PM by page »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2013, 03:09:13 AM »
So, after reading the HSP-82 thread in the recorder section os ts.com, and after reading Page's recent posts, this thing seems to have a pretty rough learning curve. Is that correct? If I did more SBD patches, this would be an ideal recorder. I could run mk41>LB[OT]>HSP-82 and mk4>LB[OT]>HSP-82 AND SBD>HSP-82.  I would also try just mk4/mk41>KCY>PFA>HSP-82 as well!!!

H2O, do you have ANY Schoeps>HSP-82 sources I could listen to ??? ANY Schoeps would do, but specifically mk4/mk41>HSP-82 is what interests me!!!

Thanks in advance,
Bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2013, 11:03:27 PM »
http://archive.org/details/bt2012-08-24.cmc65xt

Not the best recording I have made with this setup but it should give you an idea of sound
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »
So, after reading the HSP-82 thread in the recorder section os ts.com, and after reading Page's recent posts, this thing seems to have a pretty rough learning curve. Is that correct?

eh, it's not bad per-se, but coming from an SD experience, it's definitely different. Mostly, just some quirks I wasn't expecting (two examples; inability to send P48 while in line level mode, how the mirroring functions over multiple projects). I spent maybe 45 minutes or an hour with the unit and had the basic settings all mapped out and stuff. The location of the P48 on/off in the mixer screen and the engage tracks for recording are the two things that I keep forgetting where they are, but thats getting better with use.

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2013, 04:45:26 PM »
So, after reading the HSP-82 thread in the recorder section os ts.com, and after reading Page's recent posts, this thing seems to have a pretty rough learning curve. Is that correct?

eh, it's not bad per-se, but coming from an SD experience, it's definitely different. Mostly, just some quirks I wasn't expecting (two examples; inability to send P48 while in line level mode, how the mirroring functions over multiple projects). I spent maybe 45 minutes or an hour with the unit and had the basic settings all mapped out and stuff. The location of the P48 on/off in the mixer screen and the engage tracks for recording are the two things that I keep forgetting where they are, but thats getting better with use.

if I can do it, anyone can.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2019, 01:45:11 PM »
So how has this thing held up as far as value at the end of 2019? From what I can see, this is still the best value out there if you are looking for the specific set of features that it provides in its price range. I'm talking digital i/o, premium preamps, timecode, 8 channels, rudimentary metadata tagging and editing. The new pro SD units (8xx) seem like better machines, with smaller size and weight, and there's the app, but they start at $4000. A good deal on a P82 can be had for around $1000, these days. That puts it in the range of the new SD prosumer units (mixpre II), but they lack digi in (although, props to them for adding timecode). Also, one thing the P82 has that no SD unit has ever had (to my knowledge) is genlock, which comes in handy for avoiding drift on say, long concert recordings. You are slaving the audio clock to the camera(s), so you can record all day and no drift. As an alternative to genlock, you could slave the audio clock to LTC being fed from the camera (can SD devices do that?)... but that's less than ideal and doesn't allow you to be the TC master (which is usually the audio techs responsibility on set).

So is this thing still the best bang for the buck for someone doing location sound recording for medium budget films, tv, and concert video (and of course some hobby taping)? Or should I give up on digi in/genlock, and go for something like the SD MP10 II? The 32 bit float, Sony L-mount, and bluetooth app are really tugging at me.

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #128 on: November 06, 2019, 08:35:35 PM »
It has great mic pres and great audio quality. It is a little bulky.  But they can be stacked for more than 8 channels of recording.  So $1000 is an amazing price to get a new one (or a whole bunch of them for multitrack live recording.) :wink2:

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2019, 09:12:43 AM »
Hell of a unit...the only issue I have is the size, the bag big enough to hold it, eight pounds and a similar weight battery to power the 12w draw.

Of course for a couple of years I lugged around a Neve Portico that weighed the same with a 12w power draw...so it required a battery just as big the HS-P82...for a 2 channel pre an I still had to carry a recorder and battery for it...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com