Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity?  (Read 9768 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Audacity?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 10:58:59 PM »
http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/creative-suite-2-activation-end-life.html?PID=5628473

I'm not sure if it shows up in the link, but this is what the adobe site says if you click into the "download and install CS2 applications:"

You can use the serial numbers provided as a part of the download only if you legitimately purchased CS2, CS2 applications, Acrobat 7, or Audition 3.

Best I can tell from searching, the "legitimately purchased" part was added sometime later after folks started posting on the internet that Adobe was offering Audition 3 for free.

Follow the links, don't follow the links. Get the downloads don't get the downloads. Install it don't install it.  These are all choices only you can make.  And before you ask, no I don't use Audition 3.  I bought Audition CS5.5 in order to be able to utilize bigger ram than V3 supported.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:01:18 PM by kirkd »

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 03:06:47 PM »
I've read the guide on Audacity but have never been able to figure out how you divide the wav up into individual tracks.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 04:02:32 PM »
I've read the guide on Audacity but have never been able to figure out how you divide the wav up into individual tracks.

You're not the only one I've heard say that.

1) Turn dither off if you prep files elsewhere. If you do your (non-tracking) processing in Audacity then leave it on. It dithers regardless of whether or not you do anything if the setting is on.
2) Set the project rate to whatever the audio is (so it won't try and resample).
3) Set the time rate to hh:mm:ss (CDDA Frames)
4) Check the box for Snap To.
5) Now when you place your cursor somewhere, it will be on the frame boundaries. After selecting the spot for the next marker, press Apple+B (I don't know what the first button would be on a windows machine) and that will drop a new track marker.
6) After you track it out, do File > Export Multiple to break it up into individual tracks.

(yeah, I did just shamelessly steal that from a PM I sent in the past, but at least it gets the conversation started if people need help).  :D
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline hifijohn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 02:02:46 AM »
I agree with the other posters audacity is very good, the other one is acoustica basic 6.0 is very good too it has hundreds of free vst plugins for it.

adrianf74

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 03:47:13 PM »
My workflow has always been Audition for the meat and potatoes and then CDWave to do the splitting/flacing/etc. (with Voxengo's R8Brain for 48/24 > 44/16 dithering somewhere in between).

Offline jsfrank

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 01:45:41 AM »
So Audacity would be good for editing out some static? Have some in track 3 of Built to Spill from Milwaukee last Friday.
Austrian Audio OC818 > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »
I'll throw out my 2 cents on this.  If there are only a few blip points of static, you could manually pull those points down in audacity.  If you have a lot of static sitting on top of the music, there might be some improvements to be had via a filter and EQ, but it would be tough and the results maybe not worth the effort. 

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
u
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 11:33:47 PM »
So Audacity would be good for editing out some static? Have some in track 3 of Built to Spill from Milwaukee last Friday.

funny you should mention it, I just discovered an audacity plugin called REPAIR that zapped static lasting about a quarter of a second. It only wants to work on about 128 samples at a time, but I processed my little section in about a minute, just selecting with the mouse & clicking Control-R (Apple-R) to repeat effect, once I chose it from the menu the first time.

I should post a before & after for ya. Look for an edit to this post momentarily.

ok now I have posted about a 5 second sample, with the raw staticky version first, and the "Repair"ed version next.

Mp3 attached to the post, 24/48 sample at the dropbox link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uaut3ytc54t6mb2/2qex6dTmTQ
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:29:57 AM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 04:46:54 PM »

You're not the only one I've heard say that.

1) Turn dither off if you prep files elsewhere. If you do your (non-tracking) processing in Audacity then leave it on. It dithers regardless of whether or not you do anything if the setting is on.
2) Set the project rate to whatever the audio is (so it won't try and resample).
3) Set the time rate to hh:mm:ss (CDDA Frames)
4) Check the box for Snap To.
5) Now when you place your cursor somewhere, it will be on the frame boundaries. After selecting the spot for the next marker, press Apple+B (I don't know what the first button would be on a windows machine) and that will drop a new track marker.
6) After you track it out, do File > Export Multiple to break it up into individual tracks.

(yeah, I did just shamelessly steal that from a PM I sent in the past, but at least it gets the conversation started if people need help).  :D

linux and windows = ctrl + b
db

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 04:54:06 PM »
My workflow has always been Audition for the meat and potatoes and then CDWave to do the splitting/flacing/etc. (with Voxengo's R8Brain for 48/24 > 44/16 dithering somewhere in between).

audacity can do all that. i used to use cdwav and wavbreaker, but once i realized that i was opening 3 programs for no reason i stopped. i've never used audition, but it must have a marker/splitter that cuts on sector boundaries... no?
db

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 06:33:49 PM »

audacity can do all that. i used to use cdwav and wavbreaker, but once i realized that i was opening 3 programs for no reason i stopped. i've never used audition, but it must have a marker/splitter that cuts on sector boundaries... no?

If Audacity had CD Wave's simple titling, it would be perfect for me.  I guess I can't live without scroll-wheel positioning, either....
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline db

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 07:15:36 PM »

If Audacity had CD Wave's simple titling, it would be perfect for me.  I guess I can't live without scroll-wheel positioning, either....

i think audacity does the same thing as "titling" on the way out via export, file by file.  i used to think that i could not live without the scroll > find point also, but i got used to searching via the (visual) waveform and clicking in short order.
db

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 07:35:58 PM »

Yes.  Audition has a nice tracking function (and that's where I do my tracking).  You set the points in the main editing window then pull up a cue list to merge/split.  It marks on boundaries if you set the default that way.  I don't do that since I want my track splits on zero crossings (I often do further editing at the track level and may keep tracks as 24bit).  I always want my track marks as close to a zero crossing as possible since the tracks will click at the start if they come in too far off 0 dB).  I sector align the marks with a TLH fix if I run 16 bit CD sets out. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline jsfrank

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 02:16:21 PM »

funny you should mention it, I just discovered an audacity plugin called REPAIR that zapped static lasting about a quarter of a second. It only wants to work on about 128 samples at a time, but I processed my little section in about a minute, just selecting with the mouse & clicking Control-R (Apple-R) to repeat effect, once I chose it from the menu the first time.

I should post a before & after for ya. Look for an edit to this post momentarily.

ok now I have posted about a 5 second sample, with the raw staticky version first, and the "Repair"ed version next.

Mp3 attached to the post, 24/48 sample at the dropbox link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uaut3ytc54t6mb2/2qex6dTmTQ

Thanks. Just saw this response. I already manually edited it out and seeded it. It was barely noticeable. Will do this next time.
Austrian Audio OC818 > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 02:19:13 PM »

Yes.  Audition has a nice tracking function (and that's where I do my tracking).  You set the points in the main editing window then pull up a cue list to merge/split.  It marks on boundaries if you set the default that way.  I don't do that since I want my track splits on zero crossings (I often do further editing at the track level and may keep tracks as 24bit).  I always want my track marks as close to a zero crossing as possible since the tracks will click at the start if they come in too far off 0 dB).  I sector align the marks with a TLH fix if I run 16 bit CD sets out.

Same. I find this extremely easy. I prefer it to re-tagging the FLACs via separate process.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com