Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help  (Read 9190 times)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
Help
« on: March 31, 2003, 11:58:53 PM »
OK, I posted this before, but as of now, no responses.  Thought I would try again.  Go to Musiciansfriend.com, and let me know what speakers they have in-stock you would buy, and why.  The free interest free credit is killing me, and I know zero about speakers.  Thanks guys,

Daryan

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
Re:Help
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 09:17:59 AM »
D,

1 word

Bose

Bri

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 09:36:05 AM »
no just joking. D, what I tell my customers is that when it comes to speakers, you really have to pick the ones that sound the best to you. Don't be fooled by high prices and rare wood finishes, gimick tweaters etc, etc. You really need to get out there and do some listening.

When I bout my speakers, I had a limited budget to werk with, but enough to get something reasonably good. I listen to alot of cheap trick, 2 live crew and air supply so I brought in a great GD Schoeps FOB CD from Atlanta in 91 and GD:One from the Vault. It's really key to bring in your own stuff. There are alot of variables that can make comparisons difficult, but you can certainly narrow down your selection that way. I settled for a pair of Klipsch (although I loved the B&W's) because they matched the price/performace I could manage.

So two real words for you...

Go listen...

:P
Bri

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 09:45:55 AM »
I took a look at the home speakers offered and I can honestly say "none of the above."  They all suck.  I wouldn't have any of them in my home stereo.  Don't blow your money (you still have to eventually pay for them, even if it is interest-free) on crap.  Take the money and go to your local hi-fi store and listen to what fits in your price range.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2003, 09:54:03 AM »
Tannoy or Genelec, depending on how much you wish to spend.  There are powered and passive monitors, and if you like the deep bass, you'll need one of their subs.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2003, 11:13:00 AM »
I listen to alot of cheap trick, 2 live crew and air supply...

2 live crew! That is F'n hilarious, Bri.  ;D

Kevin

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2003, 12:10:52 PM »
Daryan....I would agree 100% with Bri. Find a store that carries what you may be considering and go listen. Then, listen to a pair that you were not considering. Just like with the mic issue, it's all your own preferences on what you like to hear. It took me a few months to figure out what I liked and what I could afford both on my mics and my speakers. Taking your own music is the best advice. You'll know what to listen for, etc. Most of all....HAVE FUN!! There is nothing like listening to a room full of different speakers ;) Good luck.....Jason
"Music soothes the beast in a man"...Joseph Stalin

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."  Abraham Lincoln (Dec. 18, 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives)

Schoeps MK21/MK41/MK5/M222's>Elvo NT222's>Grace V3>SD 722

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2003, 01:39:56 PM »
no just joking. D, what I tell my customers is that when it comes to speakers, you really have to pick the ones that sound the best to you. Don't be fooled by high prices and rare wood finishes, gimick tweaters etc, etc. You really need to get out there and do some listening.

When I bout my speakers, I had a limited budget to werk with, but enough to get something reasonably good. I listen to alot of cheap trick, 2 live crew and air supply so I brought in a great GD Schoeps FOB CD from Atlanta in 91 and GD:One from the Vault. It's really key to bring in your own stuff. There are alot of variables that can make comparisons difficult, but you can certainly narrow down your selection that way. I settled for a pair of Klipsch (although I loved the B&W's) because they matched the price/performace I could manage.

So two real words for you...

Go listen...

:P
Bri

again, another post that belongs in the ts.com Hall of Fame!  nice job Bri!  this just tickles on so many levels!  ;)

(we really need that Forum!)

~S

DaryanLenz

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2003, 01:51:07 PM »
OK, well I am gonna go listen this afternoon and see what I like with some of my tapes.  I have never had anything high-end to listen on before, so this should be fun.  I will let you know what I find!

Daryan

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2003, 02:48:24 PM »
Ok, this is just my $.02, but don't take anything "live." Go through your CD collection and find some really great recorded discs. Search for ones that throw a wide soundstage, nice image, etc.  I foind it also key to bring in some female vocal tracks (Natalie Merchant, Diana Krall, etc..). Also, bring in a majority of what you will be listening to (again not live stuff) whether it be rap, funk, jazz, blues, rock etc.  Oh, and don't buy the day you think you have found something. Go back and listen a few times because your mood can change.  Have fun...
SC

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2003, 03:28:34 PM »
imho, Genelec and Tannoys prolly recreate the music with extreme precision and are ideal in a mastering or studio enviroment, but you may find other brands lend their own charactoristic to the source in your home. Also consider the room size: subwoofer size ratio, HF dispersion and physical hieght from the ground the speakers will be. Try to think of them as lighting fixtures, the HF (tweeters/horns) as spots and the lower freq stuff as floods. There are alot of considererations here, but it's a fun journey. Let us know how you do!

Bri

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2003, 04:46:29 PM »
i actually think you should bring some live recordings to check out the speakers if that is what you are going to be using them for.  i think it's probably the case that live aud recordings do not bring out the full potential of a speaker, but i would want to know what is going to make the stuff i listen to the most sound best.  so i would bring one or two of the recordings you wear out at home and try out the speakers on those.  you know those recordings really well and you'll probably hear things in them you've never knew were there.  definitely do not buy the first day you go look.  take your time and have fun
-damon

jpschust

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2003, 05:15:23 PM »
d- bring that kimock show from my server with the soundfield as the source... great stereo panning, amazing recording.

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2003, 07:48:08 PM »
but you haven't even HEARD the SKB Madison yet!

Soundfield snobs ya...hehe...  ;)

Tim

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2003, 10:02:57 AM »
i think it's probably the case that live aud recordings do not bring out the full potential of a speaker,

yes and no. I took in a sampling of studio recordings with me but I also brought in a few liev tapes I have made. A good live tape will lack the (over)compression that you find on all studio recordings so you can give the speakers a real workout. I brought along some rather robust tapes with healthy bottom ends to see what the speakers sounded like when they had to extend way down and playback non-rolled-off/non-compressed bass frequencies.

I have a big ass music collection (don't we all) but at home I mostly listen to live tapes, I leave the studio stuff for the car and computer. If you listen to a lot of live stuff I suggest you see how the speakers handle them, same thing if you listen to a lot of classical or jazz or folk...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com