Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreens for Audio Technica AT3032 AT3031  (Read 6964 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Windscreens for Audio Technica AT3032 AT3031
« on: June 11, 2008, 08:40:43 PM »
I am chasing some decent windscreens for a pair of AT3032's (same as AT3031 physically)

Length: 5.67" (144.0 mm)
Diameter: 0.83" (21.0 mm)

I am looking for something like a small dead-cat (fake fur).

suggestions?

EDIT: BTW, this looks useful...shows the range of mics that can share similar windscreens.

http://www.olsenaudio.com/mic%20model%20cross%20ref.htm

EDIT2: here's the result from this thread...

----------------------

Well, thanks to all who provided input, they arrived today.

I went with the MicroPuffin from Micover Windscreens as seen below.

They seem well made and should prove durable, they came with a bonus comb to keep the fur in fluffy condition :) The people at Micover Windshields are friendly and give great service (unexpected discount for multiple orders).

I have not had much time to experiment, but they seem to work (as expected) excellently, will post a YouTube demo video soon. 

Like all these things, it's difficult to imagine they cost more than $5-10 to manufacture, but they are low volume speciality items for a market used to paying $$$. That and they are about 1/2 the price of the Rycote Softies and so are definitely the value proposition in this category.

digifish
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 05:21:20 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline ambo

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Windscreens for Audio Technica AT3032
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:02:58 PM »
hi Digifish, I'm using Rycote softies for my 3032's. It's a foam windscreen with a short fur cover that's integrated, so not removable. Nice but expensive. there is another company that makes a similar product, for about 1/2 price, but i don't remember who. I believe I found them through ebay, but didn't bookmark it.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »
hi Digifish, I'm using Rycote softies for my 3032's. It's a foam windscreen with a short fur cover that's integrated, so not removable. Nice but expensive. there is another company that makes a similar product, for about 1/2 price, but i don't remember who. I believe I found them through ebay, but didn't bookmark it.

Thanks for that, what model softie is it?

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 01:18:35 AM »
For a strictly foam-based solution, I like the Shure A81WS.  For my purposes - occasional outdoor non-critical (i.e. unpaid, amateur) recordings - they suit my budget and requirements just fine.

For a more robust solution, you could add dead rats over the Shure's (which unless you're in pretty severe wind would be overkill, IMO).  Or you could opt for DPA UA0896, a smaller, less effective (IME) windscreen than the Shures, but quite effective when combined with dead rats.

For a full-on proper windscreen solution, you'll want something like the Rycote system that provides a pocket of dead air space around the mic caps.  Most of these options get fairly expensive.  But if you're doing critical or professional recording, it's obviously well worth the expense.  Two alternatives to Rycote:

K-Tek:  http://www.ktekbooms.com/
Lightwave:  http://www.lightwavesystems.com

I'm not familiar with either product range, so...hopefully you find something that will work for your needs.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 02:19:16 AM »
For a strictly foam-based solution, I like the Shure A81WS.  For my purposes - occasional outdoor non-critical (i.e. unpaid, amateur) recordings - they suit my budget and requirements just fine.

For a more robust solution, you could add dead rats over the Shure's (which unless you're in pretty severe wind would be overkill, IMO).  Or you could opt for DPA UA0896, a smaller, less effective (IME) windscreen than the Shures, but quite effective when combined with dead rats.

For a full-on proper windscreen solution, you'll want something like the Rycote system that provides a pocket of dead air space around the mic caps.  Most of these options get fairly expensive.  But if you're doing critical or professional recording, it's obviously well worth the expense.  Two alternatives to Rycote:

K-Tek:  http://www.ktekbooms.com/
Lightwave:  http://www.lightwavesystems.com

I'm not familiar with either product range, so...hopefully you find something that will work for your needs.

Thanks Brian...

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/Accessories/us_pro_A81WS_content

Is the sure solid or hollow? Solid I presume.

I am starting to think of using a largish foam cover like you suggest to take up the slack of a Rode dead-kitten?

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline headroom

• Taperssection Regular
    • My Work with Photos and for Documentary Cinema ( Soundjob)
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 06:16:30 AM »
Hi  I use the Metall Slip on Pop Filter with the Rode Dead Kitten. The princip for Windprotection is a lot of free airspace between outer (Fur) and the Mic Capsule for calming the airwaves.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/windscreens_mounts/6fd9093a8d8eac6f/index.html

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 06:45:25 AM »

http://www.micover.com/store/index.php?manufacturers_id=13&osCsid=ee30a6af52be1e9e57d5f3574c2e6ca8

-brian

Thanks for that, Microcover Windscreens note...

Your question is what windscreen do you need for the AT3032?:

1.) The Puffin 5cm would work fine, it can be found here:
http://www.micover.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29

They seem a nice bunch. I am now tossing up between a pair of these and the Rode dead kitten approach, which will probably pack down into a smaller space?

digifish
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 06:50:28 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline headroom

• Taperssection Regular
    • My Work with Photos and for Documentary Cinema ( Soundjob)
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 07:23:53 AM »
Omnis AT 3032 are much more less sensitive to Wind than the AT3031 cardoid because of the stiffer membran tension. With my Rode and AT Slipon I can wotk outside with very good Wind Damping.
The Rode dead Cat needs eqalizing sound is darker.

Offline ambo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 10:13:06 AM »
21/22mm. 5cm long. The microcover link is what i was thinking about.

Thanks for that, what model softie is it?

digifish

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 12:17:33 PM »

The A81WS has an outer layer of more dense / finer foam, with an inner chamber of much less dense / more coarse foam, effectively creating a sort of pocket of air around the mic.  Since the inner chamber is still foam, and not an entirely empty space of dead air, it's not up to the same standards as the full-on "proper" solutions like the Rycote zeppelins, but IME it works fine for my purposes (using mostly cardioids, not omnis).
Roland R-05

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 07:57:57 PM »
21/22mm. 5cm long. The microcover link is what i was thinking about.

Yes, thanks, Rycote got back to me with the following...

With regards to the Audio Technica AT 3032, we would recommend using a 5 cm Medium Hole Softie.

It would be nice if these sites simply listed the microphone diameters and lengths that were compatible with each softie/system.

digifish

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 08:01:53 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 08:00:35 PM »

The A81WS has an outer layer of more dense / finer foam, with an inner chamber of much less dense / more coarse foam, effectively creating a sort of pocket of air around the mic.  Since the inner chamber is still foam, and not an entirely empty space of dead air, it's not up to the same standards as the full-on "proper" solutions like the Rycote zeppelins, but IME it works fine for my purposes (using mostly cardioids, not omnis).

Thanks for this, I have a pair of Rycote 'knockoff' blimps (CineCity), but I am using one with my NT4.  Works very well in strong wind btw, with no noticeable change in high frequencies.

Thanks for your advice.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 10:13:26 PM »
Thanks to all for suggestions, finally went with a pair of 5cm Puffins direct from the Micover Windscreens shop. They gave me a discount for buying a pair, nice people.

Will post some before and after tests on the next windy day after I get them. I expect they will be great. The only down-side to this decision is that these (as with the Rycote Softies) take up more space than a couple of dead-kittens and foam-balls that can be squashed into the bottom of a bag, while these can't. I may still get some dead kittens, useful to have around.

digifish
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 01:35:35 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 10:56:48 AM »
Thanks for the comment that you're using a CineCity blimp.  I can't find a decent windscreen solution for my AKG C34, and one of the CineCity blimps - while a bit more than I'd like to spend, at least not out of reach like the Rycotes - just might be the best option I have right now.  Only catch right now is the mic holders, even the larger 20-25mm ones, aren't quite big enough (the C34 is 25.4mm, so maybe it'll squeeze in, dunno yet).
Roland R-05

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 06:41:43 PM »
Thanks for the comment that you're using a CineCity blimp.  I can't find a decent windscreen solution for my AKG C34, and one of the CineCity blimps - while a bit more than I'd like to spend, at least not out of reach like the Rycotes - just might be the best option I have right now.  Only catch right now is the mic holders, even the larger 20-25mm ones, aren't quite big enough (the C34 is 25.4mm, so maybe it'll squeeze in, dunno yet).

The NT4 has the same problem (heavy @ 480g and fat @ 23mm) , solved by

1. Doubling the rubbers on the cradle.
2. Connecting a rubber band over the top of the mic (suggestion from fellow taper).

The suspension clips are very flexible plastic and so won't break if stretched wide open. The extra 2 mm on your mic will be even more of a stretch, but a couple of rubber bands like I have should keep it all together. Alternatively you could ditch the cradles altogether and string a X of twisted heavy rubber bands in the suspension ring and slip the mic in the middle.

The CineCity blimp is built to a price, and your mileage may vary, but I have 2 and am very happy with them. You do get a bunch of spare rubber bands and three sets of clips (different sizes) with the blimp and the fake fur cover. They certainly would not work in a commercial environment where the guy who was using the blimp didn't pay for it :)

This is what sent me on a quest for more wind-protection. The NT4 is in one of the blimps, and I have 2X AT3032's in the boot of the car to keep them out of the wind, the foams that came with the AT3032's just couldn't cope with the breeze that day. I recently got an R44 so started doing 4 channel field recordings.

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=54963

I had the AT3032's in the boot to record the bass frequencies and keep them out of the wind, not ideal. So I will set them up either side of the blimp next time and do some nice matrix stuff.

digifish
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 10:32:39 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 06:09:32 AM »
Well, thanks to all who provided input, they arrived today.

I went with the MicroPuffin from Micover Windscreens as seen below.

They seem well made and should prove durable, they came with a bonus comb to keep the fur in fluffy condition :) The people at Micover Windshields are friendly and give great service (unexpected discount for multiple orders).

I have not had much time to experiment, but they seem to work (as expected) excellently, will post a YouTube demo video soon. 

Like all these things, it's difficult to imagine they cost more than $5-10 to manufacture, but they are low volume speciality items for a market used to paying $$$. That and they are about 1/2 the price of the Rycote Softies and so are definitely the value proposition in this category.

digifish.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 06:18:16 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com