Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: typical max concert volume?  (Read 8350 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: typical max concert volume?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 11:26:27 AM »
How do you guys handle the bass when wearing ear plugs?
When I wear ear plugs it feels like the bass wants to explode from my chest or something like that.

Use better earplugs.  :P  Of course, I can't say that until I know:  what earplugs do you use?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 11:35:23 AM »
115 db is 3 times louder than 85 dB, btw.

louder
my wifes dance school has the stereo at 80-90db
didn't know that +t

as for earplugs i used the foam ones a lot then i got the hifi ones
they either work reallllly good or not at all
because everything comes in clear but there doesn't seem to be much difference between having them in and having them out as far as the overall volume goes
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 11:36:26 AM »
if you haven't invested in custom ear plugs, you really should.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 11:37:57 AM »
When I wear ear plugs it feels like the bass wants to explode from my chest or something like that.

Use better earplugs.  :P  Of course, I can't say that until I know:  what earplugs do you use?
the ones you sent me
I don't remember what they were exactly know now, but they were the extras you kicked down a while back.
ety's I thought just don't recall the model.
That would make sense though hah

yea yea I know about the customs...

think I would know the difference between now and know
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:20:37 PM by JackoRoses »
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 12:02:42 PM »
Not sure how to explain it really.
The only way I can attempt to explain it is when I put on earplugs it feels like I'm capping pressure and I can feel that pressure more so than when not wearing earplugs and it's kind of a uncomfortable feeling.
So I don't wear plugs although I know I should be and I still carry them with me.
It's even worst when it's a very bass heavy show too.

It's an illusion. Once you put the plugs in you sort of trick your brain into thinking it's quieter, yet the 'feel it in you chest' bass sensation is not reduced, so you notice that sensation more and it can seem amplified.  In addition, in the ear hearing only range (vs the tactile bass range I just mentioned), most plugs are far more effective at blocking higher frequencies than lower ones.  Even though the sound pressure levels for all frequencies are reduced at the eardrum, the higher frequencies are reduced more than the lower ones. 

It's hard to design a plug that absorbs more low frequencies and less of the highs.  High frequencies are easy to block, but low frequencies easily penetrate stuff, including your body and head and can 'bypass' the fear plug to a limited extent.  Foam plugs are very effective at sealing your ear canal and lowering SPLs of all frequencies but their response is not flat - they absorb way more  high frequencies than lows.  The Etymotic plugs attempt to flatten the response curve, but they still roll off at the top end. Some people love them, including many here. But personally I don't like them at all, I get a weird resonance. I even tried putting the Ety plastic chamber in a foam plug instead of the flanged seal but that didn't work either.  That's the only reason I haven't gotten customs made.  After trying the Etymotic plugs I'm worried I won't like them either.

I prefer the cheapo 30db reduction blue plugs from the drug store.  If the music is just a bit too loud I just insert them partially with a bit of a gap, and adjust the gap as a sort of 'tone control' until I like the balance.  If it's really loud or if there is the typical slamming overdriven subwoofer style bass I use a different strategy.  I roll the plug like normal and insert it fully into my ear. After it expands I then compress the bit sticking out into my ear so that the foam is all compressed equally and flush with or even inside my ear a bit.  That seems to maximally seal to absorb as much bass as possible, but also makes the plug denser and shorter overall and flattens the curve a little bit. 

Sounds like crap for a little bit, but your brain soon adjusts to the sound and things sound normal again.  Everything starts to sound clearer. Bear with it more than a few minutes if you can't stand the muffled sound and you'll adapt to it.

Maybe I should look into the customs again.  Anyone here dislike the Ety universal fits but love their customs? 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:04:38 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 12:12:24 PM »
nice explanation.
That is a much better way of saying it than I could of.
That is one reason why I haven't bought the customs yet either; is because of that.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 12:19:13 PM »
good custom molded ear plug are (relatively) flat and that low end build up effect is not present.
i feel so comfortable in mine that i will sometimes mix in them for loud, or long, festivals after getting a decent mix dialed in with them out. there is no comparison between good custom molds and the disposable type. none. the only thing i can't do in them is talk on the phone.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 12:25:44 PM »
That's encouraging hear, I'll look into them again.  what reduction rating do you use/recommend?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 12:47:56 PM »
That's encouraging hear, I'll look into them again.  what reduction rating do you use/recommend?

i have -15db and -25db "pads".
i wear -15db to work in and -25db for riding on the motorcycle and running the leaf blower/lawn mower/weed whacker.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 01:06:46 PM »
the ones you sent me

Right!  Ety ER-20, I think.  They're good.  Custom plugs feel and sound much better, IMO.  I definitely required an adjustment period when going from no plugs to ER-20s, and from ER-20s to custom, with the former a bigger adjustment.

Maybe I should look into the customs again.  Anyone here dislike the Ety universal fits but love their customs?

I liked the sound of the Ety ER-20s better than no plugs, but I hated the fit.  The custom's have great fit (obviously) and better sound.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 09:27:24 PM »
The best articles ever written about dB:

http://www.prorec.com/Articles/tabid/109/EntryId/50/What-s-your-dB-IQ.aspx

http://www.prorec.com/Articles/tabid/109/EntryId/51/What-s-your-dB-IQ.aspx

Excellent articles. I came across those years ago but had forgotten them. Thanks for the links, that's a great refresher.  These should be posted in Teddy's reference materials thread if not in there already.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 09:34:29 PM »
fortunately i figured it out in the mid 90's when i was about 100 shows in

i remember seeing iron maiden, metallica, etc in high school, and literally wouldnt be able to hear right for DAYS. wish i knew then what i know now

Yep, fellow hearing sufferer here.  I'm a 43yo male, suffering from hearing loss for the last couple of years.  I didn't notice it until I got tinnitus (sp?).  I now wear (open type) hearing aids to fight this, but I also notice, surprise surprise, that I hear music better with the hearing aids in.  Typical listening level is 75-80dBA.  For shows I always wear earplugs.  Have been for the last few years.  Should have learned this earlier.

Richard

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 12:48:10 AM »
Terrible Tad Nugent... 1977 when he propted his Guitar up in front of his amp and we listened to feedback for two minutes...  HUH??
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 02:17:26 PM »
Given The OSHA standards, why is it legal for Concerts to be so loud? Why aren't there massive class action lawsuits against concert venues by all those who now have hearing loss?

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2008, 02:26:04 PM »
Given The OSHA standards, why is it legal for Concerts to be so loud? Why aren't there massive class action lawsuits against concert venues by all those who now have hearing loss?

-Noah
I wondering the same thing.  If a hot coffee can spur lawsuits, why aren't people paying attention to concert (and general noise) sound levels?

I also feel for staff working at these venues.  Continuous exposure has to louder than most workplaces (factory, etc).

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com