Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: boundary mics  (Read 7760 times)

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
boundary mics
« on: August 27, 2008, 07:09:54 AM »
I was just reading a promo for boundary mics from b&h. Are there any applications for what we do?
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: boundary mics
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 07:39:18 AM »
It depends what you do.

They are excellent mics for recording in many situation - not stealth, though.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 08:13:25 AM »
It depends what you do.

Would I use them for recording a concert, hell no, but I use them on a daily basis for sound reinforcement at corporate meetings when there are a bunch of talking heads sitting around a conference table.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:38:11 AM »
It depends what you do.

Would I use them for recording a concert, hell no, but I use them on a daily basis for sound reinforcement at corporate meetings when there are a bunch of talking heads sitting around a conference table.

Recording a concert from the section, absolutly not.  But recording from stage lip there is a strong argument to be made for boundary/pzm mics.  The boundry mics reduce many reflections and give a really nice clean sound.  I have found recording jazz groups (without vocals) stage lip with boundary mics is about as good as it gets. 

Here is a pull with a pair of U851R boundary mics split on the stage lip.  This is a jazz band in a really shitty sounding lounge with glass walls on all sides and hardwood floors.  Tough room to get a nice sound in....

http://www.archive.org/details/grimace2007-10-29

Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

kskreider

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 10:36:58 AM »
Bob Cogswell out here in the Bay Area uses pzm's to supplement his on-stage recordings.  You can check out a lot of his recordings here on the LMA.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 11:04:23 AM »
I find boundary mounting a useful technique to control echoy ambiences and add some presence that would be laking with omnis in other cofigs, and though not usually applicable for typical stealth recording, mics mounted on a surface instead of a stand are very unobtrusive and often invisible.

It's not the usual way I use them, but I've used dpa 4060's in boundary mounted situations for concert recording with great results.  I sometimes use the rubber DPA boundary mount adapters made for this purpose, but other times I just place or tape the mics to the surface (the mounts add a bit of additional boost around 10khz because of the tiny sound opening slot I suspect).

One situation had a concrete wall directly behind the soundboard and taping section at the rear of a shallow room. I taped the mics in the boundary mounts to the wall separated by about 3'.  The elimination of the bounce off the rear wall plus the added clarity and slightly reduced ambient ratio due to the boundary mounting worked much better than anywhere else in that case.

One scenario I use regularly, similar to what Javier mentioned, works extremely well for a jazz trio on an outside patio.  We sit at a cafe table directly in front of the band and patrons pass between us and the band to enter the cafe.  I treat it as a non-open taping situation even though it could be, for several reasons -elimination of setup, not wanting to draw attention to recording for both the patrons and band's sake (the band knows), and believe it or not I can get superior mic placement this way.  I place the mics just above the floor in my shoes which gets closer to the band, provides nice boundary effect clarity for the the drums and especially the guitar and organ amps which are also on the floor, and 'looks though' the least shadowing portion of the people passing between us and the band - their ankles.  ;)

Granted that application doesn't apply to many situations but works perfectly in this case.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 11:14:06 AM »
Also for typical stand style recording I think there are some Dead & Phish tapes from years past made with the Crown SASS baffle thing that used Crown PZM's.. I haven't heard them though.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

kskreider

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 11:18:56 AM »
I think that is what Cogswell uses, the SASS setup.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 11:40:30 AM »
Yeah, Cogswell uses the Crown SASS setup.  While it uses PZM mics, the mounting (up higher) and small boundary surface (as opposed to being on a wall or the floor) makes the end result pretty different from what you'd get with standard boundary mics.

Moe's alley runs a house mix for recording that's SBD+PZM mics onstage.  http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=venue%3A%22Moe%27s%20Alley%22%20pzm

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 11:48:39 AM »
Just to confuse things farther, there are also some SASS baffles modified to use omnis other than Crown PZMs.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 11:50:46 AM »
I have made some great sounding choral group recordings using boundary pzm's and music stands as baffles.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 12:14:25 PM »
Bob Cogswell out here in the Bay Area uses pzm's to supplement his on-stage recordings.  You can check out a lot of his recordings here on the LMA.

I'm impressed.  I like what he is doing with those mics...

--Michael
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 01:38:36 PM »
But note, as Keith first pointed out, he's using the SASS mics IN ADDITION to another pair of run of the mill cardioids.  Usually he has the SASS on stage and the cardioid pair either FOH or suspended just in front of each main PA stack.

Offline anechoic

• Taperssection Regular
  • composer, writer, sound designer
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 02:09:08 PM »
find a pair of cheap Radio Shack PZM mics and read these pages:

http://www.jdbsound.com/art/art520.html
http://www.uneeda-audio.com/#pzm

I mod'd a pair of RS PZM's last year to PIP and attached a stereo 3.5mm plug

while I like the sound of them for sfx and certain ambiances
the capsules are pr0lly Panasonic WM60 equivalents so their self-noise is not great
'In the new world the characteristic unit will be
small, highly mobile, independent and intelligent.'
                                - Robert Fripp

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 02:25:58 PM »
I have a pair of 9 volt mod Realistic PZM mics that I recorded shows with for years. There were a bunch of guys using them around 93, 94, 95. Made some pretty good tapes with them when the conditions were right.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com