Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Advice  (Read 8388 times)

Offline inabsentia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mic Advice
« on: November 15, 2008, 08:06:16 AM »
Hi folks.. first post on here, so please be gentle!!

I'm based in the UK and I've been recording gigs for about 4/5 years . Up to now I've been using a Sony Hi - MD (generally in Hi-SP mode) but I've just got hold of a Zoom H2 so I can record full  sets in wav format without disc swapping. I record using line in with a battery box and something pretty much identical to these mics -

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEREO-Y-MICROPHONE-PANASONIC-MICS-REC-LIVE-CONCERTS_W0QQitemZ120333040044QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPortable_MiniDisc_Players?hash=item120333040044&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I'm recording loud hard rock/metal shows usually and I get pretty good results too. I share plenty of my recordings and get lots of good comments about the SQ of my recordings.

My question is this-I know there are lots of other factors involved and words like  'Quality'  or 'Better' are very subjective but if I went for, say, a pair of the CA11's I've read/heard so much about would there be any real improvement in the recording 'Quality' to justify (More to the missus, not myself!!) spending money on a new set of mics?  I hear recordings made with them at similar types of shows to the ones I go to that sound fabulous, but not really any 'better' than I seem to be turning out.

Many thanks

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mic Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 02:33:32 PM »
Hi folks.. first post on here, so please be gentle!!

I'm based in the UK and I've been recording gigs for about 4/5 years . Up to now I've been using a Sony Hi - MD (generally in Hi-SP mode) but I've just got hold of a Zoom H2 so I can record full  sets in wav format without disc swapping. I record using line in with a battery box and something pretty much identical to these mics -

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEREO-Y-MICROPHONE-PANASONIC-MICS-REC-LIVE-CONCERTS_W0QQitemZ120333040044QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPortable_MiniDisc_Players?hash=item120333040044&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I'm recording loud hard rock/metal shows usually and I get pretty good results too. I share plenty of my recordings and get lots of good comments about the SQ of my recordings.

My question is this-I know there are lots of other factors involved and words like  'Quality'  or 'Better' are very subjective but if I went for, say, a pair of the CA11's I've read/heard so much about would there be any real improvement in the recording 'Quality' to justify (More to the missus, not myself!!) spending money on a new set of mics?  I hear recordings made with them at similar types of shows to the ones I go to that sound fabulous, but not really any 'better' than I seem to be turning out.

Many thanks

In order to answer that question we have to know who made your mics and what capsule they were using and how it was modified.

My ca-11 is a good mic but if you want a giant leap forward my Ca-14 Is the way to go they are on sale now for $129 and there is free shipping to the UK. And I am pretty sure if your battery box is putting out at least 6 volts you will have no issues. As for the mics you posted on ebay they are not something I would recommend to anyone. You also have to remember that the mics I mentioned the CA-11 and CA-14 are cardioid mics not omni they tend to be better in most situations where the room acoustics are not great and the crowd is loud. They will provide a much more focused sound them most omni mics again I cant really comment on the mics you have because I have never heard them. Even with hearing them its hard to tell how much of what I am hearing is the venue or the mics them selves. Good luck with your search and let me know if I can be of any help.

Chris
Church Audio

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline inabsentia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 03:02:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply- I realise it's virtually impossible to answer with any kind of certainty so thanks for the input!

All I know about the mics I'm using is that they came from the same people selling the one I linked to about 3 years ago and they look identical and the description is the same too.   The battery box I got about a year after I started taping from a guy who hand makes them on the mini disc forum (Goes by the name of 'Green Machine' - he also makes mics)- it uses a 9v battery so should be fine. That purchase made a huge difference to the quality of my recordings, then I added the current set of mics which again improved it buy a large amount. I just wonder how much better still it could get given all the issues surrounding recording in the type of venues I generally go to.

I guess the only way to fully evaluate what 'extra' they would do would be on a side by side test - not sure I could get £80 past the wife..especially this close to Christmas!!

Again.. thanks for your input

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 05:28:17 PM »
inabsentia, I have downloaded a lot of the bands you have taped on your side of the pond from Dime and have often wondered if you'd consider a mic upgrade.  :laugh:

Church audio will be the best bang for your buck and give you vastly improved recordings.  Tell the Mrs. they are on sale with free shipping and there's no way you couldn't buy them.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline inabsentia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 05:37:23 PM »
In what way would they be 'vastly improved' ? That's the big question that I have to justify to myself really,, I don't want to be in an 'Emporers New Clothes' situation where I'm trying to convince myself the recordings are better when they aren't.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 06:39:39 PM »
In what way would they be 'vastly improved' ? That's the big question that I have to justify to myself really,, I don't want to be in an 'Emporers New Clothes' situation where I'm trying to convince myself the recordings are better when they aren't.

I know the guy that built your mics.. I can tell you that there will be a night and day difference between my mics and the ones you purchased from ebay. I dont sell mics for $29 a pair and there is a good reason for that..

A- Its silly when you sell mics for $29 a pair you MUST cut corners in order to make a profit where the corners get cut most often is in the design and the testing of the product.

B- Remember you are not just paying for the parts your paying for the time, effort and research that goes on to make a good product and for the support before and after the sale.

C- Anyone can get a cheap plastic mold and solder headphone cable on to a few capsules and call it a day. That's not what I and some others in the business do some of us actually test the mics we sell and properly match them so you dont have a giant crap sandwich for a recording. Don't take my word for it listen to the samples of my mics.

Chris

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 10:31:23 PM by Church-Audio »

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 08:00:49 PM »
I've heard some pretty nice recordings with Church Audio mics...just get the CA-14's...you won't be disappointed.

I run DPA 4060's and I'm probably going to be getting rid of them soon to fund my new open mics, and get a set of Church mics for the rare occasion when I need small mics.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline bobcat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 09:10:09 PM »

just from my own experiance with buying mics definatly go with the 129 dollar ones. i bought these crappy panasonic mics for 50 buck off ebay cause i was unaware of mostly everything at that point. then i got upgraded twice more till i was happy.

aim a bit higher from the start and u wont waste money like i did, go with the better church mics hes offering ya. or just a tad more expensive mics where ever you go.

cheers.

Offline inabsentia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 09:38:47 PM »

just from my own experiance with buying mics definatly go with the 129 dollar ones. i bought these crappy panasonic mics for 50 buck off ebay cause i was unaware of mostly everything at that point. then i got upgraded twice more till i was happy.

aim a bit higher from the start and u wont waste money like i did, go with the better church mics hes offering ya. or just a tad more expensive mics where ever you go.

cheers.

That's the thing.. I'm not at the start- I'm 3 years in with these mics and they are giving me excellent results, I'm happy with them and I know just where to mount them to get good recordings. I realise it's almost impossible to be definitive but to lay down another £80/$130 - especially in the current economic climate - I need to be able to justify the expense - and the recordings I've searched out and heard today (I've found several up on DIME  using the CA-14's) that are similar to gigs I tape just don't soundany  'better' (that word is subjective, I know) than I'm getting from my current set. Yes, I know that there all kinds of other variables that come into the equation, but without being able to do a side by side test, it's a tough call to make!!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 09:43:46 PM by inabsentia »

Offline inabsentia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 09:41:45 PM »

I know the guy that built your mics.. I can tell you that there will be a night and day difference between my mics and the ones you purchased from ebay. I dont sell mics for $29 a pair and there is a good reason for that..

A- Its silly when you sell mics for $29 a pair you MUST cut corners in order to make a profit where the corners get cut most often is in the design and the testing of the product.

B- Remember you are not just paying for the parts your paying for the time, effort and research that goes on to make a good product and for the support before and after the sale.

C- Anyone can get a cheap plastic mold and solder headphone cable on to a few capsules and call it a day. That's not what I and some others in the business do some of us actually test the mics we sell and properly match them so you dont have a giant crap sandwich for a recording. Don't take my word for it listen to the samples of my mics.

Chris

Chris

Chris, thanks for that- I sense you might be getting antagonised a bit by this now, so I'll back off.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 10:07:29 PM »
A side-by-side comparison is a great idea.  You have two recorders.  Chris offers his mics in the loaner threads.  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,99672.0.html   Why not try and see what kind of results you get?

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline inabsentia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 10:17:32 PM »
A side-by-side comparison is a great idea.  You have two recorders.  Chris offers his mics in the loaner threads.  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,99672.0.html   Why not try and see what kind of results you get?

That would be an excellent idea, I didn't know about this 'loaner' system, but as I don't already own the CA-11's, that would appear to rule me out (Probably quite rightly too, as he doesn't know me from Adam!!)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 10:21:09 PM by inabsentia »

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 10:31:32 PM »

I think that he was looking for CA-11 owners to evaluate the new mics when they were originally released back in February.  I don't think that's the case anymore.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 10:34:54 PM »

Chris

Chris

Chris, thanks for that- I sense you might be getting antagonised a bit by this now, so I'll back off.

God no... not at all.
Chris
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 10:46:32 PM by Church-Audio »

Offline inabsentia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 11:22:05 PM »
Thanks again Chris... I really don't dispute the quality or service you offer - and that has been amplified (sic) by the people I've been in contact with today who use your gear. What I still have a problem with is that having listened to several sample recordings today, I am honestly struggling to hear anything that makes me go 'woah-  mine wouldn't record like that' - I know, I know- unless you could put 2 versions of the same show side by side recorded on the same equipment and in the same position,  that's always going to be an issue. 

I do understand the 'value' in things- as a sales manager myself working for a company who aren't the cheapest at what we do, I'm forever selling on 'features and benefits' and on the service we offer to back our product up, but sometimes, all of my 'ammunition' just doesn't matter- like the guy who's cheap set of spanners  have outlasted the four sets of expensive ones I've sold him - I can prove to him that ours are technically superior, but the proof of the pudding is there every time I try and sell him on the idea of paying more for his spanners!!! Bringing that analogy back to topic- the $50 mics I've got work great with my battery box- I can record at the loudest shows without any distortion and get a well balanced recording with plenty of 'space' in it. Maybe I've got lucky, maybe I got the one really well matched pair of these, maybe it's all down to the scale of economics.

Don't get me wrong here Chris- I'm not ruling this out, but I hope you can see my point here. If this was a coat I was buying I could try it on to make sure it fit better than my current one - then there couldn't be any doubt- I can't do this in this case. One thought though- I assume you keep  records of people who've bought these from you? If so, have you sold any to anyone from around where I am located (Manchester/North West England- though I do regfularly fgo further afield for gigs)? If so, assuming they too are gig tapers, I could arrange to go to the same show as them to make a 'side by side' comparison.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 11:34:58 PM »
Thanks again Chris... I really don't dispute the quality or service you offer - and that has been amplified (sic) by the people I've been in contact with today who use your gear. What I still have a problem with is that having listened to several sample recordings today, I am honestly struggling to hear anything that makes me go 'woah-  mine wouldn't record like that' - I know, I know- unless you could put 2 versions of the same show side by side recorded on the same equipment and in the same position,  that's always going to be an issue. 

I do understand the 'value' in things- as a sales manager myself working for a company who aren't the cheapest at what we do, I'm forever selling on 'features and benefits' and on the service we offer to back our product up, but sometimes, all of my 'ammunition' just doesn't matter- like the guy who's cheap set of spanners  have outlasted the four sets of expensive ones I've sold him - I can prove to him that ours are technically superior, but the proof of the pudding is there every time I try and sell him on the idea of paying more for his spanners!!! Bringing that analogy back to topic- the $50 mics I've got work great with my battery box- I can record at the loudest shows without any distortion and get a well balanced recording with plenty of 'space' in it. Maybe I've got lucky, maybe I got the one really well matched pair of these, maybe it's all down to the scale of economics.

Don't get me wrong here Chris- I'm not ruling this out, but I hope you can see my point here. If this was a coat I was buying I could try it on to make sure it fit better than my current one - then there couldn't be any doubt- I can't do this in this case. One thought though- I assume you keep  records of people who've bought these from you? If so, have you sold any to anyone from around where I am located (Manchester/North West England- though I do regfularly fgo further afield for gigs)? If so, assuming they too are gig tapers, I could arrange to go to the same show as them to make a 'side by side' comparison.

In the end anyone can say that they make great mics but its the plain and simple fact that the mics you have are just not built the same way any of my products are never mind the sound quality issues. Since I have had the mics you own I can honestly say there is no comparison. People are comparing my mics to mics that cost several times more. Good luck with your quest. I have lots of customers in the UK with my mics but I dont keep track of the addresses... Never have a need to keep addresses for my records only amounts paid and destination country. Maybe you should send us a link of one of your recordings so others can hear your mics?

Chris

Offline inabsentia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 11:54:26 PM »
You'd need DIME for these but here's my most recent recordings

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=222239&hit=1

This one was a biggish venue (3,500) -sound quality poor for first three songs, clears up after that

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=222050&hit=1

Smaller room (300) with  high roof and good sound from the off

On the addresses thing, I wasn't inferring anything- just thought you might keep address for any after sales service, that was all

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 11:58:38 PM »

The most important thing in taping is if you are happy w/ your recordings and this should be your biggest deciding factor to a upgrade. If the answer is yes then don't upgrade but if you still have any doubt and think you could do better. Then mics are the number one factor to getting a good recoding and CA and his products have been proven time after time here on ts as a lot of bang for your $$.  ;)
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline inabsentia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 07:49:38 AM »
The most important thing in taping is if you are happy w/ your recordings and this should be your biggest deciding factor to a upgrade. If the answer is yes then don't upgrade but if you still have any doubt and think you could do better. Then mics are the number one factor to getting a good recoding and CA and his products have been proven time after time here on ts as a lot of bang for your $$.  ;)
Oh for sure..I think that goes with any 'upgrade' of  anything. 

When I started taping I went with a mic that would be great for spoken word but hardly ideal for music recording, then I found out about what a battery box would do for me- Each of those steps required a smaller financial output yet brought significant and tangible improvements in terms of sound quality, sound separation and eradicating 'brickwalling' - what concerns me from the examples I've found  of this potential upgrade, when recording in stealth mode at the kind of shows I go to, I wouldn't necessarily be getting that -that's why I need to really do a side by side test.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 08:05:09 AM »
Can't you just download a couple of shows done with Ca-11's or 14's from http://bt.etree.org/ and see what you think?

Believe me & everyone else here-you should hear a huge difference. I thought my first recordings with an $80 Sony ECM MS 907 sounded good until I stepped up to AT-853's.  Although I probably shouldn't admit it here, I can't always hear a big difference between CA-11 recordings and those made with high dollar mics, but I certainly can between CA-11 recordings and those made with cheap mics. I now have CA-14's also, but haven't had a chance to use them as yet.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline inabsentia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 08:34:50 AM »
Can't you just download a couple of shows done with Ca-11's or 14's from http://bt.etree.org/ and see what you think?
I have mate!!!..look back in the thread and you'll see I've mentioned I've done that, but surely it has to go deeper than that- From a link on the page Chris sent me to, I  downloaded a really nice semi - acoustic show recorded by someone who didn't have to stealth and that sounded fantastic, but that isn't the type of gig or the situation I'll be recording in, so it's not really a fair comparison.  I know a guy through DIME who goes to similar shows who has the 11's and the 14's  and he recorded the same band I did last weekend -albeit in a different venue - and while his recording is really nice, I wouldn't say it was any 'better' that the results I got.  I'm going to try and sort out a loan of one or other from him to try them for myself.. which I think is going to be the only real way to convince me!!

Listen folks... seriously..I' m really not just 'Trolling' here, thanks for all the replies and guidance so far

Roving Sign

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 09:09:05 AM »
Oh for sure..I think that goes with any 'upgrade' of  anything. 

When I started taping I went with a mic that would be great for spoken word but hardly ideal for music recording, then I found out about what a battery box would do for me- Each of those steps required a smaller financial output yet brought significant and tangible improvements in terms of sound quality, sound separation and eradicating 'brickwalling' - what concerns me from the examples I've found  of this potential upgrade, when recording in stealth mode at the kind of shows I go to, I wouldn't necessarily be getting that -that's why I need to really do a side by side test.

I listened to your samples - and you are getting good results with the mics you have...sounds like you know how to use gain properly and make a clear distortion-free recordings. You seem to operating from safe distances, nothing that's really going to test the mics too much.

So - I can understand that an upgrade is a "hard sell"

Get that loaner set and see for yourself...that way you'll be able to compare the build quality as well...

I think you'll find your Green Machine recordings to sound a bit "chirpy" and not as strong or musical in the bass...(although you current rig produced a lower note than I expected, in the sample)

I understand what you're going through - I never thought I'd give up my trusty Radio Shack Stereo mic... :-X

Last advice - looking back, (as someone who has done this for 20 years) - I always regret not upgrading sooner!

Offline inabsentia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 10:21:24 AM »

I listened to your samples - and you are getting good results with the mics you have...sounds like you know how to use gain properly and make a clear distortion-free recordings. You seem to operating from safe distances, nothing that's really going to test the mics too much.

Get that loaner set and see for yourself...that way you'll be able to compare the build quality as well...

I think you'll find your Green Machine recordings to sound a bit "chirpy" and not as strong or musical in the bass...(although you current rig produced a lower note than I expected, in the sample)

I understand what you're going through - I never thought I'd give up my trusty Radio Shack Stereo mic... :-X

Last advice - looking back, (as someone who has done this for 20 years) - I always regret not upgrading sooner!

Cheers for that - the 'chirpy' thing could come from me recording in Hi-SP mode rather than WAV on the Hi-MD I was using up to last weekend (when both those recordings were made).  I could record the loudest of shows at maximum recording level and still have no distortion issues - in fact I'd still find I was boosting the volume when it came to mastering. 

I'm using a Zoom H2 now -in fact I've got a show tonight. I gave it a test run at gig on Thursday and was very impressed with the results considering I was playing around with the settings for most of the night!!  Tonight should be a good test- small club but one I've had decent recordings in , one all instrumental band, one with loud shouty vocals type band - I'll try post a sample or two tomorrow.

I've just heard back from the guy who has the CA11's and CA-14's and he's fine with me loaning his CA-11's - which is damn good of him as I only know him through sharing shows over on DIME!! If I get them in time for next weekend, I've got three days of gigs lined up so I can give them a real test!!

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 11:42:14 AM »
Chirpy sound is not from using Hi-SP. Hi-SP sounds great-indistinguishable, for many people, from wave.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 01:12:47 PM »

Cheers for that - the 'chirpy' thing could come from me recording in Hi-SP mode rather than WAV on the Hi-MD I was using up to last weekend (when both those recordings were made).  I could record the loudest of shows at maximum recording level and still have no distortion issues - in fact I'd still find I was boosting the volume when it came to mastering. 

I'm using a Zoom H2 now -in fact I've got a show tonight. I gave it a test run at gig on Thursday and was very impressed with the results considering I was playing around with the settings for most of the night!!  Tonight should be a good test- small club but one I've had decent recordings in , one all instrumental band, one with loud shouty vocals type band - I'll try post a sample or two tomorrow.

I've just heard back from the guy who has the CA11's and CA-14's and he's fine with me loaning his CA-11's - which is damn good of him as I only know him through sharing shows over on DIME!! If I get them in time for next weekend, I've got three days of gigs lined up so I can give them a real test!!

Remember the techniques needed to get good sounds with cardioid mics are different the the ones needed to get good sounds with your omni mics. With my cardioids you must point the mics at the sound source. And in order for this to be a fair test the mics signal chain should be the same two different recorders will not do because unless you have a way of acoustically calibrating the two mics so they read exactly the same level it will be difficult to evaluate the mics subjectively. Also I assume your mics are not matched from left to right. That also adds another dimension of issues to the comparison. Good luck let me know if you need any advice. I could not listen to your samples I am not a member of Dime. If you are a big fan of omni mics then these mics will be the best choice for you but they are expensive but they are also very VERY small they are called my CAFS mics.

Chris

Offline bobcat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 04:34:40 PM »
 damn man! it sounds like you are indecisive ;) i am the same way too, these replies i hope lead you in the right direction. 

for the most part if your using cheaper mics (sorry i forget what u are using) and you spend a bit more money then you will have something better.  you get what you pay for is true. not completely but it is regardless.

then also it depends what sound you like, everyones different..and different speakers things sound different too.

i must say using cardiods is probably the best choice. most omni shows i hear kinda blow unless you are really close to the stage. then u get an amazing sound.

anyway u know all this so i'll stop.

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 08:06:06 PM »
I know I'm a bit late to the party but... Another thing to consider is what are you listening to the recordings on? Computer speakers, a high quality set of headphones, a true hi-fi system, etc? All of those will make a huge difference in how your current mics sound vs. another set.

When I started recording and editing I was using my iPod headphones and most shows sounded pretty much the same regardless of what gear was used. Then I upgraded my headphones to studio quality AKGs and the difference became instantly obvious.

But as a number of people have said - if you're happy with what you've got and the results you achieve that's all that matters.
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 08:47:26 PM »
I have mate!!!..look back in the thread and you'll see I've mentioned I've done that, but surely it has to go deeper than that- From a link on the page Chris sent me to, I  downloaded a really nice semi - acoustic show recorded by someone who didn't have to stealth and that sounded fantastic, but that isn't the type of gig or the situation I'll be recording in, so it's not really a fair comparison.  I know a guy through DIME who goes to similar shows who has the 11's and the 14's  and he recorded the same band I did last weekend -albeit in a different venue - and while his recording is really nice, I wouldn't say it was any 'better' that the results I got.  I'm going to try and sort out a loan of one or other from him to try them for myself.. which I think is going to be the only real way to convince me!!

Listen folks... seriously..I' m really not just 'Trolling' here, thanks for all the replies and guidance so far

I've got a stealth recording with CA-11's that might be of interest to you as an example. Really proud of this one, and all I had to do was plug my CA11s into my R09HR and point my mics in the right direction.

:D

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WV38ZT1L

^^^ Ida Maria, London ULU, 2008-06-02. No eq, just bumped up the volume a touch and bob's yer uncle.
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

stevetoney

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 02:19:01 AM »
No offense inabsentia, but your thread responses are really quite silly. 

You asked if upgrading mics is worth spending the money over $29 mics.  Absolutely 100% of the people stated emphatically YES without a single dissenting opinion, then you debate them for two pages about why you don't seem to want to upgrade. 

It seems as if you really wanted to ask this forum for confirmation that your recordings are good enough...but you are the only one that can answer that question for yourself. 

You seem smart enough to realize that you're asking this question of a forum where some people have invested $10,000 in microphones.  I don't make this statement to intimidate you, but simply to state, 'what would you expect the answer to be when it's intuitively obvious that the audience for your question are experienced tapers.'

They gave you what you precisely asked for, but you don't seem want to accept this advice.  If that's the case, then why did you even ask?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:34:24 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline inabsentia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 03:18:30 AM »
No offense inabsentia, but your thread responses are really quite silly.

Now there's a start that really wants to make me listen to your opinion... :(

You asked if upgrading mics is worth spending the money over $29 mics.  Absolutely 100% of the people stated emphatically YES without a single dissenting opinion, then you debate them for two pages about why you don't seem to want to upgrade. 

It seems as if you really wanted to ask this forum for confirmation that your recordings are good enough...but you are the only one that can answer that question for yourself. 

Eh? How did you you come to that fantastic realisation?? It was only when someone suggested I post a link to one of my recordings that I went down that route

You seem smart enough to realize that you're asking this question of a forum where some people have invested $10,000 in microphones.  I don't make this statement to intimidate you, but simply to state, 'what would you expect the answer to be when it's intuitively obvious that the audience for your question are experienced tapers.'

They gave you what you precisely asked for, but you don't seem want to accept this advice.  If that's the case, then why did you even ask?

Lets see..Technical help>Microphones and set up... yes, yes I'm pretty sure I'm in the right place, or are you saying that unless I'm spending a quite stupid amount on microphones I've got no place here? Listen Bud, I've been taping for nearly 5 years with my old set up and I made my first recording back in 1975 so I'm not excactly new to this- ok? I was pretty happy with the way things were turning out I just simply wondered if I would get anything better by investing in a new set of the Church mics. The answers - like yours  - of 'of course you will' didn't back that up, neither did the samples I was being directed to or that I had come across myself Thanks to one of the members on here, I got a loaner set (If you'd read the thread you'd have seen that) to make my own mind up -and that really was the only way I could confirm it myself.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 06:20:04 AM »

Actually for the record, some $2.50 caps from Panasonic (WM61-A) can make superb recordings. This is particularly true if the source is fairly loud as most people here are taping (and not too loud as to overload the mics).

So I dissent :)

PS: wm61-a recordings courtesy of Jon O’Neil @ www.naiant.com

digifish

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:26:56 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

stevetoney

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 08:22:24 AM »
My selection of words was poor, so I offer my apologies. 

I was trying to merely point out that you asked a question...everybody (except one person) provided their opinion and you seemed to have not accepted those answers.  This made me wonder why you asked the question at all since you seem to have already made up your mind for yourself before asking the question...but maybe not.

Regardless of that though, what I don't think anybody has suggested in this thread is that ANY sound decision is personal and any advice you get on TS.com will be biased towards the preferences and needs of the person stating the opinion.  The best thing you can do, as you are about to do, is listen for yourself and decide what's best for you.  The Live Music Archive is your best resource for that.

Anyway, good luck to you in your mic search.

ilduclo

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 11:22:03 AM »
I know I'm a bit late to the party but... Another thing to consider is what are you listening to the recordings on? Computer speakers, a high quality set of headphones, a true hi-fi system, etc? All of those will make a huge difference in how your current mics sound vs. another set.

When I started recording and editing I was using my iPod headphones and most shows sounded pretty much the same regardless of what gear was used. Then I upgraded my headphones to studio quality AKGs and the difference became instantly obvious.

But as a number of people have said - if you're happy with what you've got and the results you achieve that's all that matters.

very much in agreement about the gear you use to listen, I have Sennheiser headphones and a decent old Sony amp/Panasonic cd player. Big difference from the 18$ Sony headphones thru cheapo work sound card, but not huge difference from computer with good headphones and good sound card (home system)

however, I don't think that much has been said here about the quality of the source! I record at a lot of dodgy places and the room and pa systems are a real factor in the quality of the recordings. Garbage in/garbage out. All that being said, the dpa4061's>spsb3>recorder I use is pretty nice, I use an old Sharp MD or an old Sony Dat. And until my venues get some good shows, I'm sticking with that gear. I don't see upgrading to new recorder(s) until I get more than 5 or 6 shows I want to see all year long! I'll put my $$ into new books until then....

by the way, I'm one of the unhappy Coresound customers you'll find on here, so I'd avoid them,

YMMV

good luck. and do let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

stevetoney

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 11:37:36 AM »

very much in agreement about the gear you use to listen, I have Sennheiser headphones and a decent old Sony amp/Panasonic cd player. Big difference from the 18$ Sony headphones thru cheapo work sound card, but not huge difference from computer with good headphones and good sound card (home system)

however, I don't think that much has been said here about the quality of the source! I record at a lot of dodgy places and the room and pa systems are a real factor in the quality of the recordings. Garbage in/garbage out. All that being said, the dpa4061's>spsb3>recorder I use is pretty nice, I use an old Sharp MD or an old Sony Dat. And until my venues get some good shows, I'm sticking with that gear. I don't see upgrading to new recorder(s) until I get more than 5 or 6 shows I want to see all year long! I'll put my $$ into new books until then....

by the way, I'm one of the unhappy Coresound customers you'll find on here, so I'd avoid them,

YMMV

good luck. and do let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

^^  I agree to an extent, but alot depends on the venue and proper use of your gear. 

I mean, on the one hand, it's hard to argue with the garbage in = garbage out concept.  But on the other hand I've recorded in a venue in Pittsburgh where my recording sounds ALOT better than the ambient sound heard at the mic stand.  The reason is that I was using hyper capsules on the mics that rejected some of the secondary reverb sound that my ears were picking up.  In this venue, the PA is pretty high quality, but the room is cavernous and boomy and they make us set our stands up back where the ambient sound breaks up.  Obviously, in this case the hypers emphasize the direct sound waves from the PA and de-emphasize the reflected sound waves.

In theory, recording in the M/S mode can also provide the potential opportunity for doing the same thing.  So, what I'm saying is that just because the sound is bad to your ears, that doesn't mean that you can't improve on what gets laid down with the right gear.

While there's no mic on earth thats gonna fix flat out crap sound, I am fairly surprised at some of the magic that can be worked with the right tools for the job. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 11:43:54 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline inabsentia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2008, 11:52:09 AM »
My selection of words was poor, so I offer my apologies. 

No problem!! :)

Anyway, good luck to you in your mic search.

Thanks..  pair of CA-14's ordered ... loaner set of CA-11's until they arrive...sorted :D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 60 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com