Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4022 phantom power question  (Read 8377 times)

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
DPA 4022 phantom power question
« on: September 19, 2009, 09:00:17 PM »
I have DPA 4022 mics and an edirolR09hr and looking for suggestions on what to put in between them for the phantom power.

Thinking in the future of getting either the
1) AERCO MP-2 Microphone Preamp
2) Naiant littlebox portable microphone amplifier

These are back ordered up to 6 weeks, in the mean time can I use a "Art Phantom II 12 V/48V Phantom power supply" to get enough power for a strong signal to the edirol? Is there any concern for possible damage to either the edirol or the mics?

If my thoughts on this are incorrect I would appreciate someone educating me.

Are there other options you guys would suggest for either a quick fix or a long term solution. I am willing to go up to 1000 dollars but if there are cheaper options that are good values I would be interested.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 09:07:26 PM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DPA 4022 phantom power question
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 10:54:47 AM »
These are back ordered up to 6 weeks, in the mean time can I use a "Art Phantom II 12 V/48V Phantom power supply" to get enough power for a strong signal to the edirol? Is there any concern for possible damage to either the edirol or the mics?

Since the 402x require 48V phantom, the Art II should be fine for powering the mics.  Just hook up a XLR-1/8" cable to your edirol.

Offline bhadella

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 11:09:28 AM »
Having ran DPAs with both an Aerco (transformer design) and a Lunatec V3 (transformerless design), I would go with a transformerless preamp like the Littlebox (or AETA PSP-3, Sonosax, Lunatec V2/V3, etc).  I found the Aerco was just too slow to capture all of the dynamics/info that the DPA's provide.   YMMV.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:11:26 AM by bhadella »
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 02:00:15 PM »
I was curious about this too, since I am thinking about eventually getting DPA 4022s as well.

At the very basic end (not talking about best sound quality, but smallest outboard powering solution) wouldn't the basic stereo Denecke PS-2 that SoundPros sells with a mini stereo out do the trick with these mics?  Seems like a simple and very portable solution. 

This one: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/DEN-PS2-MINI
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 02:07:20 PM »
I was curious about this too, since I am thinking about eventually getting DPA 4022s as well.

At the very basic end (not talking about best sound quality, but smallest outboard powering solution) wouldn't the basic stereo Denecke PS-2 that SoundPros sells with a mini stereo out do the trick with these mics?  Seems like a simple and very portable solution. 

Yes, it is technically sufficient. Just beware of your battery life, some full draw mics will drain a PS2's battery at an alarming rate. Test it out at home first to see what you can expect.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 02:15:22 PM »

Yes, it is technically sufficient. Just beware of your battery life, some full draw mics will drain a PS2's battery at an alarming rate. Test it out at home first to see what you can expect.

Thanks.  I had to assume there was some drawback to it.  I guess SP also sells an outboard powering solution for the PS-2 (though it does seem a bit silly, at some point, to have to use a power supply for a power supply, rather than just buy a deck that provides phantom....)

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 02:21:48 PM »
The PS-2 powered my Neumann KM184s for a good 4hrs when I had them, and they powered my Schoeps MK4/CMC6 mics for 4hrs or more (never fully battery tested them), so I would say they are generally a good power supply for many mics.  The Audix 1280/1290 are the ones I remember reading about that are insufficiently powered by a PS-2 with a 9V battery. 

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 03:17:06 PM »
The PS-2 powered my Neumann KM184s for a good 4hrs when I had them, and they powered my Schoeps MK4/CMC6 mics for 4hrs or more (never fully battery tested them), so I would say they are generally a good power supply for many mics.  The Audix 1280/1290 are the ones I remember reading about that are insufficiently powered by a PS-2 with a 9V battery. 

I think the earthworks line can burn through a 9v in an hr or less, but they also draw the full 10ma allowed by the P48 spec. Someone else would have to chime in, I'm working off of memory here.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline orechall

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 03:24:26 PM »
I would go for the sonosax, psp-3 (which is a lot harder to find) or a v3 to pair up in front of the dpa's...its really on what sound you are looking for.
DPA 4023's & 4028's->Lunatec V2 /Lunatec ACM V3/Sonosax SX-M2/AETA PSP-3(x2)

Hi-Ho Silver Cables and Interconnects

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 04:08:16 PM »
I think the 4022's pair well with the V3. An Oade modded one even better!

Some of the shows i did with the aerco in front sounded pretty good to me....
http://www.archive.org/details/hcr2008-10-16.dpa4023.flac16
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 05:13:12 PM »
Thanks for everyones reply.

I tried the ""Art Phantom II 12 V/48V Phantom power supply" and I did not have enough signal to the edirol. So this solution didn't work.

Locally they have a V3 for 1325 (blow out sale), so this is an option. THe V3 is large not really stealth thou.

Finding it hard to find a preamp that has XLR's, phantom power, battery powered and is really small and isn't back ordered.

Is the AETA PSP-3 available anymore? And how much does it cost? Or where would I find one?
Which sonosax do you guys recommend? FDA100 or SXBD1. Not sure if both of those take batteries.

So leaning toward the Nainiat littlebox for the stealth side and maybe a V3 for the open mic side.
Still open for suggestions.

Like the box to be smaller then 7x5x2 if possible.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:23:33 PM by phil_er_up »

Offline orechall

• Team Bama
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 05:23:35 PM »
psp-3 is not made any more neither is the sonosax but if you want a small portable pre that sounds good with the dpa's thats the route I would go.  It might take some time but sonosax do show up in the yard from time to time.  You just have to be patient.  good luck in your search.

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 05:26:16 PM »
psp-3 is not made any more neither is the sonosax but if you want a small portable pre that sounds good with the dpa's thats the route I would go.  It might take some time but sonosax do show up in the yard from time to time.  You just have to be patient.  good luck in your search.

Hey O, want to sell one of your pre's to me? "Lunatec V2 /Lunatec ACM V3/Sonosax SX-M2/AETA PSP-3/"

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 05:53:42 PM »

So leaning toward the Nainiat littlebox for the stealth side and maybe a V3 for the open mic side.
Still open for suggestions.

That sounds like a good plan to me.  I ran the V3 for 6-7 years and thought it was a great preamp/ADC.  I recently picked up a Naiant littlebox and after having run it for a few times think it is a fantastic pre for the money and the size/functionality, and really a very good preamp option regardless of the money.

I've done a comp of it with the V3, and the littlebox fared very well.  At least on that outing, the LB sounded as good or better than the V3.  I've replaced my V3 with a PSP2 which is a great box if you can find it, but that's a pretty difficult search.

I'd get the LB once Jon starts making them again in October and try it awhile.  You might find you won't want a V3 for open.  Personally, I think that having the PSP2 (transformer) preamp for a bit more color and a LB for a more transparent sound more than suits my needs -- no knock to the V3, which I loved when I had it.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

PeterE

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 08:08:23 PM »
Nobody has mentioned the Sound Devices MP-2...? 
I love this little pre! its roughly 6"x4.5"x1.5" (by my memory).  48V phanom, 1/8" mini out to go to your R-09 or in my case Tascam DR-1 1/8" line in. Lundahl input tranformers.  Many other switchable features such as limiter and HP filter. very user-friendly display( 2 levels of brightness or OFF). It takes two AA batteries(!) and lasts for many hours(5+) if using good batteries(Kirkland, Duracell, etc).  I run both Schoeps CCM4s and DPA4022's---both sound very good thru this pre IMHO.  I use this pre when I need small portable setups.
link to SD MP-2 fact sheet:  http://www.sounddevices.com/download/lit/mp2_lit.pdf
Out-of-production but you can find them in the YS....
my $0.02.

Offline orechall

• Team Bama
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 12:49:07 AM »
in my ears transformer pre amps do not sound as good with the dpas. 

Hey O, want to sell one of your pre's to me? "Lunatec V2 /Lunatec ACM V3/Sonosax SX-M2/AETA PSP-3/"

you would have to pry them out of my cold dead hands  ;)

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 08:35:36 AM »
I've been happy with my 4021>SD MP-2, but really haven't used another pre with them.

My .02

Pat
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
I've been happy with my 4021>SD MP-2, but really haven't used another pre with them.

My .02

Pat

Am I correct, from reading this post, that basically all of the small portable pres (SD-MP2, Sax, Aeta PSP-3) are discontinued?  Is there anything out there that's still in current production?

I guess with the various mods that can be done to the Marantz PMD-6xx and Edirol R-4x lines, maybe people don't feel the need to use a small outboard pre anymore...

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 12:40:53 PM »

Am I correct, from reading this post, that basically all of the small portable pres (SD-MP2, Sax, Aeta PSP-3) are discontinued?  Is there anything out there that's still in current production?

The Sound Devices MP2 was discontinued and replaced by the SD Mixpre, which is very, very similar and is still in production and available via retail.

The Aerco MP2 and new Naiant littlebox are still in production.  Both preamps are made by one man shops and can have a little to a lot of leadtime to get one.  The Aerco MP2 I guess can take several months to get built, but Jerry is still taking orders.  Jon at Naiant is still building the littlebox, but had to put aside current production runs while he works on other things.  He should be back building them in a few weeks in mid-October.

And depending on what you call small and portable, there is still the Grace Lunatec V3 and the Neve Portico.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 01:30:46 PM »

I think the earthworks line can burn through a 9v in an hr or less, but they also draw the full 10ma allowed by the P48 spec. Someone else would have to chime in, I'm working off of memory here.

i tried running EW off a ps-2 and was lucky to get an hour.  not a good idea

Nobody has mentioned the Sound Devices MP-2...? 

I made tons of tapes with dpa 4022 > mp2 and loved them.  I still have the MP2 and might dust it off in place of the v3 sometime soon

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 05:41:10 PM »

The Sound Devices MP2 was discontinued and replaced by the SD Mixpre, which is very, very similar and is still in production and available via retail.

The Aerco MP2 and new Naiant littlebox are still in production.  Both preamps are made by one man shops and can have a little to a lot of leadtime to get one.  The Aerco MP2 I guess can take several months to get built, but Jerry is still taking orders.  Jon at Naiant is still building the littlebox, but had to put aside current production runs while he works on other things.  He should be back building them in a few weeks in mid-October.

And depending on what you call small and portable, there is still the Grace Lunatec V3 and the Neve Portico.

Thanks Todd for the useful info and everyone else's input. Appreciate it. By the TS members responses on this post, it seems I was not the only one trying to find this type of info. 

Anyone know where I can get "detachable clips" for the DPA 4022"?

Still leaning toward the Naiant littlebox when they become available and mulling over some of the other options you guys have suggested. The SD Mixpre looks like an interesting choice...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com