Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT 8410a VS. Busman shocks?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
AT 8410a VS. Busman shocks?
« on: April 22, 2011, 10:48:40 AM »
Any difference in performance? I own the AT's. Thinking about switching to Busman to lighten up the gear bag.
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: AT 8410a VS. Busman shocks?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 01:32:24 PM »
I like the Busman mounts Light, durable, and inexpensive!  I haven't ever used the AT mounts so I can't say that the Busmans are better or worse.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 01:38:26 PM »
Busman's are much more low profile than the AT's.  About the same size as Schoeps' shocks, amof.   Make sure you tell him you want the 20mm.

I've run the Busman's for a few outdoor shows, in high wind, and was happy with their performance with the stand blowing around. 

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 02:28:51 PM »
Rycote INV-7's

Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 02:34:07 PM »
Perhaps not a popular opinion, but if you really want to lighten the bag, just go with a couple of simple mic clips. I made the switch to a couple of WindTech SMC-7's a year or two back and haven't noticed a shred of difference. I've come to the conclusion that shock mounts are highly overrated for what we do. I could see if you're constantly taping in high-traffic areas, but otherwise, $10 will get you a pair of clips and yer done.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298900-REG/
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Rycote INV-7's

Heartily agreed.  I have a pair of INV-6's that I use for AT3031's and DPA 4021's and they're awesome; well-made, great isolation and reasonably priced.  Having used most kinds of shockmounts in studio and live applications, the Invisions are some of the best I've come across.  Sorry for the Rycote fluffing!  ;D

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 02:50:36 PM »
^^^ Ditto on the INV-6 (which actually work fine for a longer mic; I run them with both my 4021s and my Schoeps with no issue). 

As to Greenone's suggestion to just use clips, I think it really depends how and where you tape.  Up on a stand, I'm not sure shock mounts are needed as much.  However, I do about 75% of my taping off of clamps to balcony rails or poles clamped or otherwise attached to objects like tables, the board, etc.  If you get one person drumming on a rail that your mics are clamped to, in my experience, you are finished unless you have decent shock mounts.  Now that I run the Rycotes, I've been in situations where I watched my entire rig bouncing up and down as someone drummed away on the rail, and there isn't even a hint of it on the recording. 

The Rycotes also fold up pretty small, which is nice.  And they cost much less than branded shocks like those made by Schoeps, Neumann and DPA.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 11:05:47 PM »
As to Greenone's suggestion to just use clips, I think it really depends how and where you tape.  Up on a stand, I'm not sure shock mounts are needed as much.  However, I do about 75% of my taping off of clamps to balcony rails or poles clamped or otherwise attached to objects like tables, the board, etc.  If you get one person drumming on a rail that your mics are clamped to, in my experience, you are finished unless you have decent shock mounts.

Now there's something I hadn't considered in the least, as I've rail-clamped less than a half-dozen times in 9 years of open taping. Very useful to know; thanks for the perspective from the clamper side of things.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.241 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com