Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clamping a stand to an amphitheater seat(in a populated section)  (Read 8273 times)

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Re: Clamping a stand to an amphitheater seat(in a populated section)
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 10:16:42 AM »
^ All good advice, thanks!  I'm still debating what to bring and do.  I guess I forgot to mention I run really small mics, CA-14s and CA-CAFS Omnis.  The CAFS are tiny.  The seats in front of me ARE offset so that directly in front of me is the divider.  I'm imagining somehow rigging a pole to the back of that seat and the ground, but then the concern is the people in front of my seat would complain.  I guess my strategy is to show up, see if the board area or behind is possible, and if not try to rig up something for the seat.

Pick your best show that has appeal to the fans of the show you are going to.
Burn a stack of discs.
Write email address/archive.org info on em
Spread freely in your section.

Get your neighbors invested.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 10:39:50 AM »
^ All good advice, thanks!  I'm still debating what to bring and do.  I guess I forgot to mention I run really small mics, CA-14s and CA-CAFS Omnis.  The CAFS are tiny.  The seats in front of me ARE offset so that directly in front of me is the divider.  I'm imagining somehow rigging a pole to the back of that seat and the ground, but then the concern is the people in front of my seat would complain.  I guess my strategy is to show up, see if the board area or behind is possible, and if not try to rig up something for the seat.

Burn a stack of discs.

^ This might be gold.  I have a great show of the band in question and it's not something most of their fans are probably familiar with.  This will take minimal effort and may save all the frustration in the world.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »

Burn a stack of discs.

^ This might be gold.  I have a great show of the band in question and it's not something most of their fans are probably familiar with.  This will take minimal effort and may save all the frustration in the world.

on the surface it is excellent advice.  however, don't be surprised if people thank you for the discs, tell you they'll be quiet and then proceed to yell, scream and clap all night long. 

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 06:58:39 PM »

Burn a stack of discs.

on the surface it is excellent advice.  however, don't be surprised if people thank you for the discs, tell you they'll be quiet and then proceed to yell, scream and clap all night long.

The idea was more about giving them a reason to have a clamp and pole next to them. Alum flavored taffy for the screamers.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 07:52:38 PM »

Burn a stack of discs.

Do not supply your e-mail address or archive.org info.

Make sure they know you have the discs and will hand them over after the show if they'll help you out.  If they behave great they get the discs but if they don't behave and still expect the discs for their misguided efforts then give them bum discs or better yet some music they are certain to hate, preferably something with lots of crowd noise.  Maybe just maybe they'll get the point.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 09:41:41 PM »

IME, one complaint from a neighbour that doesn't get the "taping thing" will get you shut down.

[/quote]

It does pay to get there early, shake some hands, kiss some babies...
[/quote]

Typically, I do that but it doesn't always work. One bitchy 50-something wife that sees 2 shows every decade complaining to her husband after they arrive 10 minutes into the first song can get you shut down right quick.

Fuck that. Hat rig. All the way.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 10:51:40 PM »
I once had a patron at an Allman Brothers show complain about the stand.  The usher told him to deal with it - the band encouraged it and he wasn't going to ask me to move it or take it down.  But, that is the exception.  Definitely easier to run low pro if the crowd is going to be an issue.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline jagraham

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 09:54:11 AM »
I think I'm going for a mix of all the above advice.  I just realized the band's policy is record for "personal use" so maybe handing out CDRs isn't the best idea.  That could easily turn into some big man on campus going to security with "he's bootlegging the show and just gave out samples."  Cards with an email might work better in this case.

Here's the current plan... Wedge the stand between the two seats in front of me, with ample bubble wrap to provide protection and keep it back from the folks in front of me.  Keep the stand folded up and to ensure stability I will shove some tape under one side, then tape the stand to the seats in front as well as the floor.  Rig up the mics, planning for head level, but leaving room to go up a bit as well as down in the event the crowd decides to sit.  Run the tables down to a bag at the base of the stand, then run the cables back to the under part of the seat.  That will be duct taped to the floor so it can't get kicked around.  The bag can then either sit in the seat or under it, depending on the crowd.  This way, I'm only blocking my own view and taking up my own space.

To ensure a tape, I'll go ahead and set up a hat rig just in case someone decides they don't like the stand as it is above.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »
i would get as center as u can so ppl can exit the row both ways either to the left or right. ppl always bitch so if the band is taper friendly then the crowd around u will just have 2 deal w it :) folks in pburgh kinda know tonedeaf and i and r very cool about taping. they ask where the show will b available for DL and then leave us alone ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 01:02:18 AM »
i would get as center as u can so ppl can exit the row both ways either to the left or right. ppl always bitch so if the band is taper friendly then the crowd around u will just have 2 deal w it :) folks in pburgh kinda know tonedeaf and i and r very cool about taping. they ask where the show will b available for DL and then leave us alone ;)

Not usually/always the case for me. In fact, rarely.

Despite the fact that I'm smack dab between 2 metro areas (Philly and NYC), you'd think crowds would be hip to the taping thing. Not always so. Especially for reserved-seating shows for "respectable" acts like Flecktones and MMW.

I've had bitchy patrons (male and female alike) complain about my actives on a 3/8" threaded stud "stand" interfering with their sight lines shut me down.

Never an issue for a hat-mount rig. So much easier to get the mics where they need to be without issue...  YMMV.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »
yea i feel u Tim, but I HATE stealthing and if i cant record openly, i just dont go to the show or record. mostly here in southwestern PA, folks are pretty cool to open taping and if the band is pro taping, there isnt much a bitchy patron can do about me recording. and if ppl want a recording after the show then they will just STFU and deal with my stand :) running actives helps a LOT too :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jagraham

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 10:52:51 PM »
^ Agreed with most of the above.  I don't hate  >:D at all but I'm not doing it if I don't have to.

I got lucky in this situation as I was permitted to set up behind the board.  The seats were unused handicap seats that were obstructed by the camera men.  So I guess I can't even really add to my own thread.  This advice would all still be useful though because I got very lucky there just happened to be somewhere other than my seat the stand could go where no one had an issue.  If a venue handicap section was crowded into one place(maybe like in a smaller venue) this would likely not work at all as the presence of the stand would intrude.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 12:14:47 AM »
yea i feel u Tim, but I HATE stealthing and if i cant record openly, i just dont go to the show or record.

I hate stealthing too, Bean. But there are certain bands and/or situations where the situation merits getting the mics in the proper area outweigh my own comfort/convience. Some recent MMW shows being the case.

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 09:08:39 AM »

Burn a stack of discs.

Do not supply your e-mail address or archive.org info.

Make sure they know you have the discs and will hand them over after the show if they'll help you out.  If they behave great they get the discs but if they don't behave and still expect the discs for their misguided efforts then give them bum discs or better yet some music they are certain to hate, preferably something with lots of crowd noise.  Maybe just maybe they'll get the point.

I LOL-ed loudly at the last part of your post. It woulnd't be appropiate, but it should be fun as hell ;D;D;D
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com