Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clamping a stand to an amphitheater seat(in a populated section)  (Read 8274 times)

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
I'll be taping at Nissan Pavilion(aka Jiffy Lube) this weekend and wanted some tips on the process.  The show is open taping "from your seat" and I am down in Sec 102 a few rows up, 4 rows left of the board.  It's a great seat to tape from but I'll be alone at the show so it might be hard to achieve that without bothering anyone around me. I will have my stand and access to a superclamp with extension pole.  Another possibility is to set up the stand behind the board but I don't know until I arrive.  There is a handicap section behind the board that may end up being empty, but if there is no space there I will have to opt for the seat.  I know many tapers clamp to the seat in the FOB/near board sections but there are usually many more tapers, I have a feeling I will be the only person taping here.  Any advice is appreciated.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Re: Clamping a stand to an amphitheater seat(in a populated section)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 11:23:19 AM »
I found this pic of the seats there:

http://www.pollstar.com/photo_details.aspx?ID=780920

This style of seats are a PITA for clamping, there's not much of an arm for the clamp to grip. I'd take both hoping to clamp, but prepared to use the stand. I'd also bring gaff tape on the chance you can "lash" your stand to the divider in between seats.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 01:31:34 PM »
I found this pic of the seats there:

http://www.pollstar.com/photo_details.aspx?ID=780920

This style of seats are a PITA for clamping, there's not much of an arm for the clamp to grip. I'd take both hoping to clamp, but prepared to use the stand. I'd also bring gaff tape on the chance you can "lash" your stand to the divider in between seats.

using gaff tape to secure your stand to the divider between the seats is probably your best bet.  however, i've only been successful using that strategy when other tapers were on either side.  as the OP noted, having non-tapers in the seats immediately adjacent may restrict his ability to secure a stand without infringing on his neighbors' space.  this is a very legitimate concern.

the past two weekends i was in a similar situation, but since it was a very taping-friendly band i thought the people around me would be understanding and reasonable... NOPE!  i initally taped my stand to the divider in between the seats and people around me were a total PITA.  i wasn't in the mood to fight with people all night so i removed the stand from the divider and held it in front of me the whole show.  that was also a PITA, but at least everyone shut up and left me alone.  hopefully you have beeter luck than i did.     

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 02:05:26 PM »
I've never had to do this, but if I ever had to clamp to a seat with non-tapers around me, I would use any part of my own seat to secure the mics and gear, set the levels, and then go watch the show from the back.  I wouldn't even try to make room for my gear AND myself.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 02:13:33 PM »
I had two seats once for a Chris Robinson Brotherhood show.  I figured if someone I knew wanted to go, they'd know the scoop.  If not, I'd use the extra seat for my gear.  Ended up going solo and needed the extra seat as I live streamed the show so I had more gear than usual.  I'd say this is tough if you only have one seat, but it can be done if the row in front of you is slightly offset from yours.  You can then jerry-rig the stand/ext. pole in the gap in seats in front of you.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:16:08 PM by vanark »
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 03:28:52 PM »
If you can get your hands on one of these, you could Superclamp to the seat divider, and adjust the ball head to hold your extension pole vertically:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/863646-REG/Kupo_kg007112_DOUBLE_BALL_JOINT_ADAPTER.html

I may have tp pick one up myself, I'm already imagining how I'll use it.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »
Tip - Be sure to use appropriate shock mounts for your mics.  Generally theater seats are mechanically connected together in rows.  Clamping to theater seats can easily transfer undesired vibration from the connected seats through your clamp and extension pole to the mics.

Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »
This, and another thought. After hearing a sqeaky theater seat on my recording, I've been meaning to add WD-40 to my gear bag.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »
I've never had to do this, but if I ever had to clamp to a seat with non-tapers around me, I would use any part of my own seat to secure the mics and gear, set the levels, and then go watch the show from the back.  I wouldn't even try to make room for my gear AND myself.

Sorry, but IMO, this is HORRIBLE ADVICE :P ;D I stand guard at my stand if im ANYWHERE but by the SBD. ANYTHING can happen when youre away from your gear and I mean ANYTHING :(

I just bought a Manfrotto Superclamp and a Lowel Full Pole[7'] and i'll be ready to clamp onto damn near anything at an amphitheater/theater/etc :) I would advise doing the same ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 07:09:44 PM »

Sorry, but IMO, this is HORRIBLE ADVICE :P ;D I stand guard at my stand if im ANYWHERE but by the SBD. ANYTHING can happen when youre away from your gear and I mean ANYTHING :(

^Ditto that, Bean.

For reserved seating shows where "tape-from-your-seats" applies, and I *know* the venue will allow me to run at or above head height (rare anymore, it seems) I still like to have a one seat buffer. I'll buy a pair of tickets in hopes I can find another taper that wants to clamp on and run the pole between the two of us, or at the very least a non-taper buddy of mine that can deal with the clamp/pole on the arm rest. IME, one complaint from a neighbour that doesn't get the "taping thing" will get you shut down.

For reserved shows at venues where band policy defers to venue policy (Bela Fleck and the Flecktones and MMW spring to mind) I always plan to run a hat rig. If you get lucky they'll let you run your stand in what is likely the least ideal location, if at all.

It's a trade-off at times. But usually, I'll work a little extra to get the mics where they need to be... YMMV.

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 07:54:02 PM »

I didn't say I wouldn't be watching closely.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline doodee

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 12:18:22 AM »

[/quote]

IME, one complaint from a neighbour that doesn't get the "taping thing" will get you shut down.

[/quote]

It does pay to get there early, shake some hands, kiss some babies...
An instrument that converts sound waves into an electric current >
an electronic amplifier which precedes another amplifier to prepare an electronic signal for further amplification or processing >
a device to capture an analog or digital source and store the encoded data in a digital format.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 12:33:28 AM »
IME, one complaint from a neighbour that doesn't get the "taping thing" will get you shut down.

It does pay to get there early, shake some hands, kiss some babies...

Arrive early, wear a sharpie around your neck, with a two-way radio and clipboard in hand and act important, they'll think you're an official, problem solved.   ;D
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 01:11:08 AM »
Just run in the hat  >:D
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline jagraham

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 09:28:19 AM »
^ All good advice, thanks!  I'm still debating what to bring and do.  I guess I forgot to mention I run really small mics, CA-14s and CA-CAFS Omnis.  The CAFS are tiny.  The seats in front of me ARE offset so that directly in front of me is the divider.  I'm imagining somehow rigging a pole to the back of that seat and the ground, but then the concern is the people in front of my seat would complain.  I guess my strategy is to show up, see if the board area or behind is possible, and if not try to rig up something for the seat.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com