Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

What is your favorite sounding hypercardioid capsule?

Schoeps mk41
22 (21.8%)
Schoeps mk41V
8 (7.9%)
AKG ck63
24 (23.8%)
Gefell m21
20 (19.8%)
Neumann ak50
9 (8.9%)
beyerdynamic ck950
2 (2%)
MBHO ka500
3 (3%)
Milab vm-44 (super)
3 (3%)
I prefer shotguns (or something else not listed here) you insensitive clod!
10 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Author Topic: Favorite Hypercardioid condenser *capsule* (and why)?  (Read 27647 times)

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Favorite Hypercardioid condenser *capsule* (and why)?
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2013, 03:59:40 PM »
I want to know who voted for the milabs. what samples have they heard that I haven't? (I haven't heard any....)

This.  I've never heard a Milab supercard sample, either, and am very much all ears if anyone can point us in the direction of at least one.

That aside, I've never owned any of the capsules listed but have listened to all of them.  I view the hyper/super pattern as a tool to do a certain job rather than using it for its sonic characteristics.  Most of them sound a little crispy on the high-end and lack low-end to me.  With that in mind, I voted for the Schoeps 41 since, to my ears, it's the most "un-hyper/super" sounding of the bunch.

if there were more available recordings made with the Sennheiser MKH8050 i think folks would jump on the bus.  most of what i record using my 8050s is not able to be uploaded to public trackers, and i'm not aware of any other tapers using this mic on a regular basis.

i tend to agree with FCB's comments that the hyper-super pattern is used as a tool for a certain job rather than purely for its sonic characteristics.  as much as i love the MKH8050s for certain situations in which they are the better tool for the job, i much prefer the sonic characteristics of the MKH8040s.  that being said, when i need a hyper-supercard the MKH8050s are my "go-to" solution.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:01:13 PM by bass_ur_face »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2013, 04:19:04 PM »
I can look at the graphs and data plots of the milab hyper and that plus what I've heard from the cardioid can tell it's probably going to be bright (I find the cardioid somewhat bright), my question is really; how bright? Would I need a neve portico behind them or would just running them be tolerable.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2013, 05:14:25 PM »
^^  The Milab VM-44 cardioid does have a bit of a mid-high frequency bump on their charts (maybe similar to the Schoeps MK5 card or MK4v?) which gives it a little "shimmer" in that range.  acidjack, hi and lo, and I have done some informal comparisons between them and the Schoeps MK41 and have been more surprised with how similar they sound than their differences.  The 41's have a little more presence in the upper-mids, the VM-44's have a bit more low-end and slightly wider soundstage (to be expected), but the rest is startlingly close by our ears.  YMMV.  As has been stated earlier in this thread, would love to hear samples of the VM-44 supers to see how they stack up to the cards.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2013, 11:34:04 AM »
MG21's for me as well.  I would be curious to know what I'd think about the Milab supercards given how much I liked the Milab vm44 cards, but I've never run the supercards or even heard a recording with them.

I've owned the AKG ck63s, Gefell m21, MBHO ka500 hypers, Neumann ak50's..... 

I now own both the Beyer mc950 hypers and Audix m1290 hypers.  Both are excellent sounding hypers to my ear, esp for the money.  They definitely aren't Gefell, Neumann, or Schoeps quality, but with a little bit of post-processing tweaking can sound very good and make for excellent hypercard recordings.  I like both better than the MBHOs I owned and better than all the cheaper hypers I've owned.  I like the Beyer mc950s better than the AKG ck63 hypers, and may even like the Audix m1290hc better than the AKGs.  I always thought the Audix m1290s had a similar sound as the AKGs, but they don't seem to have the fatiguing sound I hear in the AKGs.

Just a follow up on the Beyer mc950 hypers.  I uploaded my Furthur mc950 recording to the Archive:

http://archive.org/details/furthur2013-02-22.mc950

I also recorded on the same stand a DPA 4022 > USBPre2 source which is on the Archive.  I was clamped to Bennett's stand, and his mk4+mk41 matrix is posted to the Archive, if you want to compare sources (Beyer hypers to a hyper+card mix).  Ryan's Busman ck1 > V3 rig (with the Busman hyper caps) and Rob's Neumann km140>littlebox rig were on the stand next to us, so there are a lot of nearby rigs to compare to if you want to see how the Beyer mc950's stack up.

Edit:  Some more mc950 Archive links pulled from another post of mine:

If you want to check out some mc950 recordings, here are some links to some Archive shows of mine.  The first is a Yonder show that I recorded with DPA 4022's > Aerco MP2, but my Aerco fritzed out and the latter half of the 2nd set is my Beyer mc950> SD USBPre2 source.  Gives you a chance for a pseudo comp against the DPAs.  The next one is a Phil and Friends show I recorded back in the taperssection of a ~6500 person mini-arena, maybe 125' back from the stacks.

http://archive.org/details/ymsb2012-12-28.dpa4022
http://archive.org/details/phil2012-02-17.mc950.flac16
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:39:31 AM by Todd R »
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2013, 07:20:37 PM »
I would LOVE to hear some Milab hypers as well. And obviously, I voted for the mk41[big surprise there huh?] ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2013, 03:34:19 AM »
I would LOVE to hear some Milab hypers as well. And obviously, I voted for the mk41[big surprise there huh?] ;D

But the Gefell  M21 is getting a lot of votes, which says a lot as it's far less well known and people may just vote for the Schoeps on reputation.  ;)

Though the OP did forget the Gefell M310, which is also a very nice hyper (ceramic capsule and opto-coupled phantom power that prevents any DC nasties getting into the audio circuit).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com