Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG C414: XLS or XLII? or C480Bs?  (Read 6960 times)

Offline crakt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
AKG C414: XLS or XLII? or C480Bs?
« on: June 08, 2013, 03:50:56 AM »
hi. i'm after some new mics, i've had KM140s for years but looking for something different to try.
a store in my part of the world currently has a special on both the C414 XLS and XLII matched pairs, and there's always ebay, and i better do this soon before the Australian $ exchange rate drops further...

on the surface the XLII model seems like it would be better with it's 'presence boost' which seemingly would be good for taping any distance from stage.
however maybe the 'neutral' XLS and seemingly more commonly used (in all situations, not necessarily taping) would be better.
without having actually listened to them i would probably lean towards the XLS. the shop may have a demo model of each and that may be the only chance i get to hear them before buying.

is anyone running the new XLS or XLII models? any comments about how you came to your decision?

i can find some samples of the older model C414 B-XLS but none of the old B-XLII(is that a clue??) or the new XLS and XLII models.
are there any samples or comparisons of the new C414 XLS and XLII used in a taping situation? - i normally tape 'rock' in small clubs* 30-45ft from stage, but really any samples from any shows would be great.

*or are C480Bs better for small clubs...too many choices

thanks for reading
KM140s > Canare L4E6-S > HD-P2 (ACM Oade mod)
Audix M1245 Omnis
Team Australia

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: AKG C414: XLS or XLII? or C480Bs?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 04:18:10 AM »
No experience with the AKG414 but archive.org has some recording using the mentioned (XLS and XLII) mics, just search by mic name.  Myself, I'm looking for a set of multi-pattern mics but leaning towards the ADKs.
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 01:33:07 PM »
I run the XLS which are fine for live recording. The XLII was not an option for me (I got my XLS' in trade) but I do think they'd be even better for live recording. However, I would not avoid the XLS, either.  Presence boosts can easily be made in post.

In terms of the 414s vs. small diaphragm AKGs it's kind of apples to oranges.  The 414 is a full featured mic that can do multiple patterns in a single mic. I think it has a warmer sound than the 480s (which I don't run and never have, but I've heard plenty of the tapes) which can be good and bad. Bass is tighter with small diaphragm mics, to me at least.

I've recorded everything from acoustic duos to very loud rock (Dinosaur Jr.) with my 414s and love the versatility. On the down side, obviously they are bigger beasts to handle than the 480s. The weight isn't an issue to me, but the size does mean you'll have to be slightly more creative about carrying them.

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »
Ditto to pretty much everything acidjack mentioned in his post.  I've been running a pair of XLS for several years in a variety of situations and for many different types of music, and find them very capable of outstanding recordings.  With the multiple patterns, their versatility is hard to beat.  As he mentioned, the XLII might be a little better for far-field recordings due to the mid/upper-mid bump but that can also be dialed in during post with the XLS if you really desired it.  One thing I've noticed in my own experience with them is that they can sound a little "sluggish" when recording aggressive music (hard rock/metal/punk) in small venues as compared to SDCs in similarly sized rooms.  Maybe it's due to the larger diaphragms and them not responding as quickly?  Or it could just be my ears.  YMMV.  Either way, the 414's are great mics and I love the way they sound.

As for the 480's, they are also great mics but a different animal, so to speak.  Also as acidjack noted, they sound a touch brighter to my ears than 414's, have the option of different pattern capsules and they have a smaller form-factor.  The 414's are by no means huge, especially for LD mics, but if you're planning to tape in stealth situations there are now active options for 480/460 capsules whereas stealthing with LD's is a task for only the most resolute. :)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 01:08:53 PM »
I have the AKG414XLS/ST and I run a pair of AKG 461s

My understanding was the XL II was more of a vocal microphone hence the bump. My guess is that the XL II will sound damn good for use with live recording as these mics tend to.

The biggest consideration in the 414 v. 460/480 would be small v large dia mics. Also and might not be a big concern for you but the size of your rig.

Regardless of config the 414s are large and heavy. I have run them in small clubs / theatres etc but they can be obtrusive when compared to the small dia. mics.

The flexibility of the many mic configs is nice and a lot of fun if you never had that many patterns to choose from.

the 460/480 are easier to get in to tight spots and you always have the "active" solutions for those now. If you find yourself doing more outside recording i would probably lean towards the 414s but if you will be mostly small indoor clubs you'll probably enjoy the results of the 460/480s with more frequency.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline crakt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 01:50:34 PM »
thanks for the replys guys!
i'm not sure it makes my decision any easier tho!

if i do go with the LD mics i'm leaning towards the XLS, if for no other reason than they seem more commonly used for taping and therefore less of a "risk".
i really like the idea of switchable mic patterns to play around with.
i couldn't imagine how you would stealth with these mics but i'm sure it's been done!

oh ok acidjack, i found your dinosaur jr tape on nyctaper.com, i'll download and have a listen. cool. thanks.

my taping is mainly open taping in clubs, rarely outside, so the 480s may be more sensible for all the reasons mentioned. but damn i'd really like to play around with the 414s! and really, mainly due to the exchange rate, i can get a new matched 414 set for only a few hundred more than my second hand unmatched km140s cost me 8 or so years ago...
i've got Audix M1245 cards for stealth, looking to upgrade them too ha ha - i know i could also use the 480 capsules for stealth but i probably won't go down that path as i prefer smaller mics for stealth.

thanks for all your help guys
Audix M1245 Omnis
Team Australia

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 05:35:12 PM »
forget the 480s. you have the 140s. imo, the 140 more organic and would be the sdc o would choose. the 414 are a great ldc for all the reasons stated. either might be what you want. you decide. now, another option would be ribbons. cascade and busman have a stereo mic with lundahl tranny that is a differant beast. the can do things othe mics cant. but they work best in doos.

Offline crakt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »
i pulled the trigger on the AKG C414 XLS stereo set, i've put down a deposit, they had to order them in, hopefully i'll be able to pick them up this week from turramurra music, fingers crossed! and hopefully get to try them out on friday night.
Audix M1245 Omnis
Team Australia

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 04:47:15 PM »
i pulled the trigger on the AKG C414 XLS stereo set, i've put down a deposit, they had to order them in, hopefully i'll be able to pick them up this week from turramurra music, fingers crossed! and hopefully get to try them out on friday night.

Enjoy! I'm sure you'll be happy with 'em.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 07:19:02 PM »

Nice, I love mine  ;D
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »

:coolguy:
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com