Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which model do you prefer & a few words on why.

DPA-4060
DPA-4061
DPA-4062
CS-HEB DPA-4060/1

Author Topic: DPA-406X Mics  (Read 7147 times)

sml42

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: DPA-406X Mics
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 08:45:39 PM »
Oh yes. And fuck coresound and the excuse they call "customer service". DPA all the way.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 08:48:14 PM »
sorry, just to clarify

I voted for 4060s, on the basis those will probably cover 90% of all your requirements. For the few times you are in high SPL situations, it is nice to be able to choose between these and 4061s...

Just run the 4060's into something that has lots of headroom, like the Edirol R09.  This (plus a battery box) is an excellent combination - really hot mics for quiet shows, so you don't need a preamp at all.

I would have stopped here, except that I really don't like the DPA sound.  Super realistic and detailed, but It always seemed a bit "harsh" to me.  I much prefer Nevaton MKE400 or Countryman B3.  Those have a much more pleasant sound to me.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 02:45:24 PM »
sorry, just to clarify

I voted for 4060s, on the basis those will probably cover 90% of all your requirements. For the few times you are in high SPL situations, it is nice to be able to choose between these and 4061s...

Just run the 4060's into something that has lots of headroom, like the Edirol R09.  This (plus a battery box) is an excellent combination - really hot mics for quiet shows, so you don't need a preamp at all.

I would have stopped here, except that I really don't like the DPA sound.  Super realistic and detailed, but It always seemed a bit "harsh" to me.  I much prefer Nevaton MKE400 or Countryman B3.  Those have a much more pleasant sound to me.

Richard

OK, I have to ask.
Can I run a Countryman B3 pair modified with a single mini plug > 9V bb > R-09HR?
Thanks in advance  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 03:05:48 PM »
I'm currently using 4061's into the Church Audio ST9100 preamp, then into the line in on my Edirol R-09HR.  I recorded some acoustic jazz up close with the preamp turned up full and the R9HR set to level 52/80, apparently this is close to unity gain. 

I recorded a loud Steely Dan tribute band last night, again really close, with the preamp gain at about 60%, R9HR input set the same as before.  I recorded with the preamp's bass filter engaged last night, but without that for the acoustic jazz.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 04:52:08 PM »
sorry, just to clarify

Richard

OK, I have to ask.
Can I run a Countryman B3 pair modified with a single mini plug > 9V bb > R-09HR?
Thanks in advance  ;)

You can certainly run the B3 with a battery box.  You can either cut the XLR connector off, or buy a (sometimes cheaper) "pigtail" version of these mics.

I'm still experimenting with:
- two wire vs three wire power (they are by default two-wire to the XLR power module, at approx 9v, but I don't think they should be)
- powering directly from Edirol and/or Sony PCM D50 plug in power (this requires more testing)
* getting a matched pair

* I noticed some variation in the mics, particularly in the bass response.  I was able to get one pair hand-matched by Chris Countryman.  I've got a second pair pending matching.  If you buy the mics, buy conditional on testing the match.

Richard

PS: Comments welcome on my B3 recordings.  I think they're excellent, but I'd like to hear what others think., eg., compared to some DPA and Sennheiser stuff I've put up.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 06:53:20 PM »
I run the 4060's so I voted for those.

As others have said, I went with those so I can get better results with quieter music. I have NEVER had a single problem with the sound being too loud.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline javertim

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 05:03:02 PM »
Does anyone know where I could buy a set of the DPA-4060s that terminate in a single 1/8" plug? I know that Core Sound offers a set like this, but I'm fairly certain that they are hardwired into the battery box.  I'm looking for a set that I could plug into my own preamp.

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 05:49:04 PM »
I have listened to quite a few samples from recordings made with the Core Sound HEB's and preamp.

I like the uncolored sound of the 4060 capsules. If you have a great sounding room they are the way to go. Really good eq curve and accurate reproduction of the low end too. Surprisingly, really good for capsules that small.

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline NewTaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »

Just run the 4060's into something that has lots of headroom, like the Edirol R09.    Richard

I taped THE POLICE with 4060+bbox+iriver => NO PROBLEM close to the soundboard in a big indoor arena ...10.000 people, but closer to the stacks my iriver would have brickwalled as only +4db gain headroom where left. ARNI99

I recorded some acoustic jazz up close with the preamp turned up full and the R9HR set to level 52/80, apparently this is close to unity gain.  JMZ93

What exactly is Gain / Unity Gain ?

I have seen this term a few times and I am not sure I fully understand it.
If someone could give a quick explaination or point me to a good resource on it.

Thanks - NT

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 08:20:22 PM »

Just run the 4060's into something that has lots of headroom, like the Edirol R09.    Richard

I taped THE POLICE with 4060+bbox+iriver => NO PROBLEM close to the soundboard in a big indoor arena ...10.000 people, but closer to the stacks my iriver would have brickwalled as only +4db gain headroom where left. ARNI99

I recorded some acoustic jazz up close with the preamp turned up full and the R9HR set to level 52/80, apparently this is close to unity gain.  JMZ93

If someone could give a quick explaination or point me to a good resource on it.

Thanks - NT

When people talk about gain. They are talking about the amount of "boost" a single requires to reach a good level on a recorder. When we are talking about unity gain we are saying the the signal going in is the same as the signal going out of a device. So if you take a preamp and you plug a set of mics in you can adjust the levels on the preamp so they are the same as the signal coming straight from the mic it self. Unity = the same input level expressed in dB & the same output level expressed in dB or Decibels.

Unity gain
http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/glossary/t--UnityGain

Decibel 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

Chris
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 08:23:55 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline fourdegreeswarmer

• Taperssection Newbie
  • shh, i'm taping this...
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 03:18:17 AM »
Does anyone know where I could buy a set of the DPA-4060s that terminate in a single 1/8" plug? I know that Core Sound offers a set like this, but I'm fairly certain that they are hardwired into the battery box.  I'm looking for a set that I could plug into my own preamp.

Actually Core Sound will do a set of 406Xs terminated in a single 1/8" - without the after market connectors used on the HEB sets - so you are free to plug it into anything you like. You'd just have to email Len and get a quote.
DPA 4061 > SPSB-6 > R-09

Offline NewTaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 09:35:26 AM »

If someone could give a quick explaination or point me to a good resource on it. - NewTaper

When people talk about gain. They are talking about the amount of "boost" a single requires to reach a good level on a recorder.
So if you take a preamp and you plug a set of mics in you can adjust the levels on the preamp so they are the same as the signal coming straight from the mic it self.
Unity = the same input level expressed in dB & the same output level expressed in dB or Decibels.
Chris Church

I know this may be quite obvious and staring me in the face but how would I go about performing a test to determine the above ?
Is there a guide to follow or a tutorial anywhere that can help me do this test and determine where the Unity / Unity Gain is with my set up ?

Thanks - NT

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 09:37:33 AM »
I can't say I prefer them based on experience, because I don't own them yet - but I have heard some amazing tape pulls at loud shows from 4061s.  I've decided to get a set for use at shows when I can get a decent spot to record.  However, as I often end up in the cheap seats, I know I also need a set of cards, and that is my next mission: to decide on what my second set of mics will be.  I've got the new model Edirol on the way, so things are starting to come together for me.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com