Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Omnis or cards or both for that particular venue and spot ? (pics inside)  (Read 3226 times)

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Hi everyone,

I'll be attending an intimate show in a very special venue tomorrow and I'd like some advices. The stage setup will only consists in a singer with his acoustic guitar and a pianist. No bass, no drums. Both will be amplified tought.
The best seats were already gone when I bought mine. I won't have the opportunity to move to a better spot while at the show, so I'll have to deal with that.

The venue looks like it has been acoustically built for that kind of performances. I have high hopes that the sound rendition will be near perfect.

So here are two pictures of the venue with my seat marked by a cross. Which do you think will be the best mic choice ?
I'll be wearing the mics on a hat.

Many thanks ;)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:26:11 AM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Seems like a perfect situation for omnis, but I always say that.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
I'm an omni nut but instictively looking at that picture and knowing its going to be not loud without bass or drums and hence increased audience noise possibly I would say cards, or even better, both. How far back is your seat?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:38:41 PM by yates7592 »

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
If running 4ch is plausible then go ahead and do that if you want. But if you were to choose one or the other, I would personally go with cards due to the reasons above(crowd, somewhat quiet show). In my personal experience, I find a lot of places "acoustically designed for best sound" really don't sound all that good, especially in regards to cards vs omnis. It's possible the omnis pick up quite a bit of roomy sound, but it's all subjective.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
This is tough... regardless of pattern choice, the crowd will likely be louder than the performance; keeping that in mind, I'd likely choose omnis for this one based on the venue acoustics but would run both patterns if it's doable (call it an insurance policy if you must).

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Many thanks to all for your help. I'm back from the concert.
I was really really really tempted to use omnis because of the venue being acoustically built for that kind of stripped down performance that I attended.

BUT I finally choosed to run cards, which ended up being the right decision because :
* quiet show = increased crowd noise (best advice - sooo true)
* cards were theorically better suited when taping from my spot anyway

Results are stellar. Thank you very much !
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
Many thanks to all for your help. I'm back from the concert.
I was really really really tempted to use omnis because of the venue being acoustically built for that kind of stripped down performance that I attended.

BUT I finally choosed to run cards, which ended up being the right decision because :
* quiet show = increased crowd noise (best advice - sooo true)
* cards were theorically better suited when taping from my spot anyway

Results are stellar. Thank you very much !

Great news....good job fandelive   8) :)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
"The best seats were already gone..."

I don't know, that looked like a pretty damn good seat location to me.

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
"The best seats were already gone..."

I don't know, that looked like a pretty damn good seat location to me.

It was a pretty damn good spot to run cards.
Omnis would certainly have been a better choice when taping from the front rows section (that's what I wanted to say). ;)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
It seems to me that the problem is that a venue like this is large enough that the sound is dependent on the PA system including the mics and sound engineer.  Even if you were on the front row, omnis might not have been optimal  depending on where the musicians were on the stage, how loud they played, how far away you were seated, where the PA speakers were located, and the audience noise around you.  And it's not like you get a sound check where you get to decide on which mics to use after listening to comparison recordings. 

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
On a related note: that venue LOOKS cool. I hope it sounded as good as it looks. >:D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:42:07 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
Looks like quite a room.  I'd have been pretty happy with that spot since you needed the PA to capture it right.  I'm all card, all the time  ;D
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com