Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Protecting blimp M/S rig without blimp  (Read 1532 times)

Offline speedo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Protecting blimp M/S rig without blimp
« on: July 27, 2014, 11:07:39 AM »
I am trying to make a portable field recording setup that is ready to go at moments notice. I have schoeps 6 mk 4 and 8 mounted in a rycote m/s pistol suspension and the rycote ae blimp.

The problem is getting it all to fit in a single backpack. The SD702 and rig fit fine without the blimp. So I want to protect the rig while it's not in the blimp, and carry the blimp in a seperate bag then be able to whip it out and blimp it up. My main question is, Does anyone have any ideas for protection while the m/s suspension is not in the blimp? I picture a hard plastic case that surrounds the mics but has a hole for the pistol grip.

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
Re: Protecting blimp M/S rig without blimp
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 02:03:15 PM »
'Ready to go at a moment's notice'... In that case I'd keep my mics in the blimp, fold the handle, and carry the whole thing in a soft case. Saves a ton of space, offers perfect protection (shockproof!) and is way more 'ready to go' than any scenario requiring reassembly. (If you need even more protection for the mics, stuff some bubble wrap around them inside the blimp.)

Dave
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 02:06:13 PM by groovon »

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Protecting blimp M/S rig without blimp
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
I would keep the mics in the rig - HOWEVER - to stop them bouncing around in transit, I would go to a local case company and get some custom foams from them.

IE: slide open the windshueld and place the custom-cut foams each side of the mics and then slide them into the windshield again.

This will protect them safely in transit inside the windshield.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com