Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which mics would you preffer for metal taping?

DPA 4061
26 (76.5%)
SP-CMC-8
8 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Stealthing very loud metal shows...extended from Team EVIL  (Read 22742 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Stealthing very loud metal shows...extended from Team EVIL
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2004, 02:59:55 PM »
well to be honest, i wont be upgrading my rig until i get hired somewhere, and that wont start until august.  but for 150 bucks or so, that aint a bad way to go.  and to be honest, i was thinking about that ad-20 for my csbs.  the signal is soooo low on them that at isis i had to boost the wav form by 20db after i dumped it off the jukebox, whereas the CMC-8s got a tad bit of that fuzziness i encoutnered at manson earlier this week.

the ad-20 will definately boost your levels.

What was the fuzziness - from peaking?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2004, 03:13:16 PM »
no, i think frmo too high of SPL levels, if it was peaking, then i would just lower the volume, but when i looked at the wavform, it maxed out at -6db or so, so plenty of room in the aspect...  this has only been happening recently with these mics, and i have to say that these have been a couple of the louder shows that i have taped since i got these CMC-8s.  very annoying this little problem.  i thought i had it all figured out.  i hope the mics themselves are not fucked up somehow, i take really great care of them.
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2004, 03:15:26 PM »
no, i think frmo too high of SPL levels, if it was peaking, then i would just lower the volume, but when i looked at the wavform, it maxed out at -6db or so, so plenty of room in the aspect...  this has only been happening recently with these mics, and i have to say that these have been a couple of the louder shows that i have taped since i got these CMC-8s.  very annoying this little problem.  i thought i had it all figured out.  i hope the mics themselves are not fucked up somehow, i take really great care of them.

ah, I figured- if you do a little search, I think there are a number of postings where people are reporting problems with the SP version of the AT's not handling high SPL's when running from a battery box.  Phantom power would help those mics handle higher SPL.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2004, 03:18:48 PM »
yeah, i just need to find some cheap and stealthy way of doing this. i  am a poor grad student, and alot of the concerts i go to in the first place i have won tickets to or someone put me on the guest list.  so in otherwords...  cheap and stealthy (as already stated).

ah, I figured- if you do a little search, I think there are a number of postings where people are reporting problems with the SP version of the AT's not handling high SPL's when running from a battery box.  Phantom power would help those mics handle higher SPL.

-Karl

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2004, 03:19:59 PM »
a number of people have done the "un-mod" to the mics that soundpros offers as a power option (which basically returns them to stock...) - it doesn't look that difficult.  Then you could power them with that PS-2.

Edit:  But I am not sure how you'd go from the PS-2 to the NJB3 w/o something else in the chain... maybe line transformers and a Y calbe or something?  I don't know anything about transformers, but there was a thread that was something like PS-2 -> NJB3 or something like that.

PS-2s are pretty widely available for right around $100 used...

« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 03:22:12 PM by pfife »

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2004, 03:24:31 PM »
yeah, i am just gonna have to spend some time trying to figure this shit the fuck out. i  really dont want to fuck up my mics though, as i truly love them.  my dad is coming out my way in february for a visit, so maybe i can con him into helping fix them when he does, being the genius that he is. I  got to do it before the big Tool tour, but i got to make sure that my gear is still stealthy.  i am a nervous wreck when it comes to sneaking gear in.
-Karl

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2004, 01:20:11 AM »
Heh....it looks as though all of Team Evil is going to be running 4061s when we get the cash rounded up.  Can't wait to see some fucking awesome sounding metal shows trickle out of here.  But keep the team alive guys....and hook me up with some shows cuz I am antsy for some new stuff.  I shall return the favor.  Thanks.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline peterbilt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2004, 02:40:44 PM »
hehehe....Team Evil ;D

FWIW
I used to run the SP cmc4's>BB>D8 and then added an AD20 between the BB without any attenuators. When I ran with just the BB I found that the cmc4's did not handle the high SPL that I always seem to run into. I also never ran the BB with any rolloff which in hindsight might have been a better option as to lower the immmense bottom end of some of my friends bass rigs.
The few times I ran BB>AD20 there was one perfect example of the AD20 adding too much without the mentioned attenuators. Burnt By The Sun at the Penny Arcade. Man do I wish I had had my SP's modded for phanom power or at least run some attenuators! During the less powerfull sections of songs I got really great tone and nice signal levls but when they came through with the heaviness, Teddy's bass just crushed all hope of no saturation of the sound..it was just too damn much!
With that in mind, if I were to run the SP's again I would definitely have them modded for phantom power and run the PS2>Ad20...but I think if I ever decide to run a super stealthy setup I would definitely go DPA.

And as for the spreading of evil.....Sulaco and Psyopus.. Christmas night bitchez!!!!!!!!!

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2004, 03:07:28 PM »
http://www.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=19288

how the fuck is that?  :)

http://www.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=19299

and manson too....

Heh....it looks as though all of Team Evil is going to be running 4061s when we get the cash rounded up.  Can't wait to see some fucking awesome sounding metal shows trickle out of here.  But keep the team alive guys....and hook me up with some shows cuz I am antsy for some new stuff.  I shall return the favor.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 04:02:18 PM by kfrinkle »
-Karl

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2004, 03:18:06 PM »
Burnt By The Sun at the Penny Arcade.

Great band.  I loved... let me repeat... LOVED Human Remains.  I emailed their guitarist about open taping them this tour, and he was totally down with it- I just fruited cause it was 2 hours away on a night I had to work the next morning...

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline peterbilt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2004, 03:41:38 PM »
If someones got some DPA's and a BB I can borrow I might be talked into stealthing Suffocation in February!

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2004, 03:55:57 PM »
If someones got some DPA's and a BB I can borrow I might be talked into stealthing Suffocation in February!

I already am planning to do that- where are you going to see them?  BTW- Behemoth, who they are touring with?  Fucking disgustingly awesome. 

I'll be seein them in Detroit.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2004, 04:05:02 PM »
i taped behemoth last year with 6 feet under, as i lay dying and skinless, bad ass show for sure.

I already am planning to do that- where are you going to see them?  BTW- Behemoth, who they are touring with?  Fucking disgustingly awesome. 

I'll be seein them in Detroit.

-Karl

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2004, 04:14:04 PM »
skinless is great too!

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline peterbilt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2004, 04:36:12 PM »
Suffocation is playing the Penny Arcade which is a pretty easy venue to smuggle shit into.

Is Skinless on tour too? I haven't seen them since the tattoo fest in Woodstock where they were tossing budweiser cans into the crowd! Shit beer but good fun!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com